Mineral feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

That's all I've used for several years. They'll figure it out. I just use loose mineral, no blocks in them.
Tip...................Coat the bolt, washer and nut with some RTV. It'll rust away in short order if you don't.
Oh...........and you can drive over them without hurting them. You might lose the air dam on your bumper, but no worries with the feeder.

I have a couple as well. Can't say it took them long to figure out. Maybe put some salt on ground next to it and on top of it. I mounted mine on a junk semi tire and pull it around as i move my cows

I have never had problems with cows or goats figuring out how to open it. Me being an old guy, they are sort of a pain to hold the opened mineral bag, raise the "lid" with a foot and add minerals without spilling any or overfilling a compartment. Maybe raise the lid by leaving a stick propped in there until they figure it out. Or call them with some sweet feed and pour just a little inside.

The one I have might be a different brand but same basic design. If it is on a slope, the cows will work it downhill unless it is anchored. The small circle on top eventually cupped up like a funnel and caught water that dripped inside. Solution was just to turn it over. Mine is molded to a one piece tub with an outside shell molded to an inside shell with hollow space between. Somehow that hollow cavity over time collects water and gets heavy. After it settles into the mud on a level spot, it is a pain to get it off the ground. I think it needs a hole drilled to drain itself. Replacement rubber top is about $80 in this new economy.

Anybody had any luck with one like this? I bought one and the cattle have stood around it for two weeks and have not figured it out yet.

I have one similar to this that I bought new at auction. I put salt in one of the compartments and they have had no problems with it. They are a pain to fill though.

What stops the cattle from tipping it over? I've stayed off from buying these, I need one to keep badgers out the mineral to help reduce tb spread, but I just don't think they look all that good. In the end I made my own just a metal square welded up that you put a mineral bucket in with rope attached so you can hang it over a gate post.

There is also this invention now as well but its pricey and again I'm not sure it would work I swear my cattle could manage to knock it over.

That's all I've used for several years. They'll figure it out. I just use loose mineral, no blocks in them.
Tip...................Coat the bolt, washer and nut with some RTV. It'll rust away in short order if you don't.
Oh...........and you can drive over them without hurting them. You might lose the air dam on your bumper, but no worries with the feeder.
Not with a bushhog but I won't tell how I know that!

Years ago I told my nephew to check one and put in minerals as needed. When I got home a week or so later I reached down to move it and it was glued to the ground. I forgot to say to merely replenish what was there. He likely had 300 pounds of minerals in it, filled to the brim... I had to laugh as I dipped out minerals.

If I take the latch off, the whole pin drops to the bottom and I have to get under it to push it back up. Mine may just be a cheap design.
Mine did that, too. I put a bolt there with washers and nuts so it didn't fall. Drilled a hole for a pin in the threaded part that stuck up. Now I pull the pin and take the top off. The bolt stays put.

I must have dumb cattle. The rubber cover on top is thick and stiff probably hinders them some.

I have some similar to that, I like them so far. My cattle started using them first day. I run high tensile wire through a couple of the holes in the bottom to make me a loop to hook a chain to so I can drag them around with the 4 wheeler. They seem tough and well built.

If I take the latch off, the whole pin drops to the bottom and I have to get under it to push it back up. Mine may just be a cheap design.
The older ones the pin was molded into the feeder. The newer ones have a nut and washer top and bottom. Take a piece of all thread an use nuts top and bottom and drill a hole above for your pin. Make life easier.

Latest posts