Mineral feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

I really like those mineral feeders. I have three. And have two of the upright wind deflected type. Mineral gets wet in the open ones and cattle aren't nearly as eager to eat it.

Your cows gotta smell something good inside it and start rubbing. They'll figure it out. It'll be empty all of a sudden and it's game on.

I've been thinking about this type of feeder for some time but I'm worried rats, skunks and other varmints will hide out in them and bite my cattle. Have y'all not had an issue with that?

I've been thinking about this type of feeder for some time but I'm worried rats, skunks and other varmints will hide out in them and bite my cattle. Have y'all not had an issue with that?
The top on these is pretty heavy. It would take a pretty big varmit to hide in one. I have not had any problems.

But this photo looks like it is curved and has a big gap.
It was the best picture I could find that at least had a lick tub to compare. I don't have a good picture, but here's another from last year. It is not less than 3 feet diameter, likely more. I'll measure one this evening. Got me curious now.mineral feeder.jpg

But this photo looks like it is curved and has a big gap.
Finally remembered to have a tape measure. It's 38" across the base. In addition to a larapin dose of anti-seize on the threads, sealant on the center bolt that holds everything together helps it to last.
7FFE3A71-4537-47C8-9707-54E2D7DD825F.jpeg
98753F18-BCEA-4242-993D-D21EA9B79140.jpeg
72A7D251-8857-4037-BCFD-ED91110D80F2.jpeg

Used those types of feeders for about 15 years or so.

Can bolt a FWA tractor tire to bottom of it to give it extra weight and height in muddy conditions. Attach a chain to tire and you can drag around with ATV when changing pastures.

You can bust them and my original ones (Behlans) the plastic is starting to get brittle on.

But still best mineral feeder out there for loose mineral and salt. The Sioux style are best, 50% extra capacity and durability.

I built one from a plastic barrel and hung it from a branch under a loafing tree about 15 or so yrs ago. Cows are gone but barrel still hanging. The cows took to it right away without a problem. I think the original plan was credited to Dun.Those of us who have been around for some time remember him well. I will try to remember to get photos next time I go there.

I built one from a plastic barrel and hung it from a branch under a loafing tree about 15 or so yrs ago. Cows are gone but barrel still hanging. The cows took to it right away without a problem. I think the original plan was credited to Dun.Those of us who have been around for some time remember him well. I will try to remember to get photos next time I go there.
This is what I did about 12 years ago and they are still good.

BTW bought mineral with CTC yesterday, $29 for a 40 lb. bag. 15 bags should last me a couple months. And snatched up the last box of Sustain III cattle boluses before they're RX only (plus nobody else has them in stock).

I built a several of those plastic barrel mineral feeders. I think two that hung from trees and two on sleds. I believe they are still where I left them when I sold out on the coast. here we use the bottom third of a steel drum with the cut edge rolled over. We get so little rain we don't worry about the minerals or salt getting wet.