Meatless monday meets the Wizard

Help Support CattleToday:

john250

Reaction score
The Baltimore City Public Schools system on Wednesday became the first in the United States to pledge to serve no meat on Mondays, according to the organization behind the campaign called Meatless Monday.

The move means 80,000 students have no meat option on Mondays. Next Monday, the menu offerings, as posted on the school district's Web site, are limited to an entrée selection of mini ravioli or grilled cheese and a side selection including mixed vegetables, mashed potatoes and fresh fruit.

In a press release, the group, an affiliate of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, said it presented Baltimore school officials its 2009 Award for Visionary Leadership in Local Food Procurement and Food Education.

I don't know what to make of this, because 80,000 hamburgers makes no difference in the supply/demand equation. I just don't like the Bloomberg School of Public Health at Johns Hopkins University. Mike Bloomberg is a very scary guy who has essentially purchased the brand "Johns Hopkins U" for a backstop to his personal opinions about OUR business.
I just heard today that Bloomberg has already spent 65 million campaigning for his 3rd term as mayor of NYC. I believe he spent 85 million on his race in 2005. He has money, and he is willing to spend it freely.
I think most of you are familiar with http://www.jhsph.edu/ one of the Bloomberg supported websites dealing with "industrial ag".

The "wizard of oz" reference is to the award the Baltimore School Board received for this courageous decision. Reminded me of the Wiz giving somebody (Scarecrow?) a medal.

Maybe our checkoff needs to convince some school district to serve ribeyes at the end of terms to students with perfect attendance or exceptional achievement. :help:

Good thing we are not cooconut farmers!
Everyone needs some fat to be healthy, but not all fat is the
same. Different types of fats have different effects on your
health, especially on your cholesterol. Saturated fats raise bad
cholesterol and your risk for heart disease. Move away from:
• Red meats, such as beef, pork, lamb and veal
• Whole milk and cheese
• Butter, cream, lard and shortening
Coconut and palm oils

http://www.jhsph.edu/clf/PDF_Files/MM_H ... ooklet.pdf

HerefordSire":6nwvgi4t said:
Good thing we are not cooconut farmers!
Everyone needs some fat to be healthy, but not all fat is the
same. Different types of fats have different effects on your
health, especially on your cholesterol. Saturated fats raise bad
cholesterol and your risk for heart disease. Move away from:
• Red meats, such as beef, pork, lamb and veal
• Whole milk and cheese
• Butter, cream, lard and shortening
Coconut and palm oils

http://www.jhsph.edu/clf/PDF_Files/MM_H ... ooklet.pdf

Odd, but my stomach has a hard time dealing with vegetable oils. Example, I used to love McDonalds fries but now after several changes in cooking oil I get sick every time I eat those things.
I have very low cholesterol tests, I eat lots of veggies, drink lots of water, and I want my calories. My fat.

I don't understand the calorie/health thing. I have never been fat. Always been healthy and strong. Very muscular. Slim waist. When I eat, I eat like it is the last meal because I don't know when I will get another. As a matter of fact, foods with high calories will last me longer between meals, so the higher the better. Fat never accumulates maybe because I work. Could be genetic.

I think genetics plays a big role in someone's ability to gain weight but I think the main reason are the choices one makes and advertisers selling the idea that food is happiness. But I guess the PC thing to do is to blame meat.

I predict many more new homeless families soon. They will eat all the meat they can get their hands on. Health conciousness comes after one is programmed.

When I was in school they didn't serve meat of Friday's because of the Catholics.

When these kids graduate maybe they will get a piece of paper saying they have a brain like the Scarecrow. I think the lion was the one who got the medal for being courageous.

Our Local school have a choice everyday of meat or veggie meals, thought that was the well balanced way, not to take choice away completely. A little bit of everything is a good thing. As long as you....
Choose healthy fats, limit saturated fat, and avoid trans fat.
The total amount of fat you eat, whether high or low, isn't really linked with disease. What really matters is the type of fat you eat.

The "bad" fats—saturated and trans fats—increase the risk for certain diseases. The "good" fats—monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats—lower disease risk. The key to a healthy diet is to substitute good fats for bad fats—and to avoid trans fats.

Although it is still important to limit the amount of cholesterol you eat, especially if you have diabetes, dietary cholesterol isn't nearly the villain it's been portrayed to be. Cholesterol in the bloodstream is what's most important. And the biggest influence on blood cholesterol level is the mix of fats in your diet—not the amount of cholesterol you eat from food.
and don't forget to eat your fruit and drink plenty of water.

............"The "bad" fats—saturated and trans fats—increase the risk for certain diseases. The "good" fats—monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats—lower disease risk"....

Some studies "seem to indicate" that this MAY be true. :lol2: