May soon become banned.........

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven said:
************* said:
Bright Raven said:
No. Stating the facts.

This is a rural county. Some folks live on small properties that only have enough room for a home and a yard. They don't have a holler to dispose of garbage. So they drive back a county road and throw it out on the side of the road.

I met a guy once that thought garbage disappeared once it was far enough back in the woods. I told him that plastic took a couple years to break down and he looked at me with a blank stare.

Yep. BTW: there are still a few places where locals dump the non-burnables like wash machines, dryers, refrigerators, stoves, BBQ grills, etc.

Why not take them to Winchester for scrap?

Where I live just got a private garbage company for pick up. Most here still burn and haul metal to the county facility. Problem is the company picking up wants to use the cans the truck grabs. The problem there is every critter in the woods has scattered trash to heII and back. There is no way to secure the can the truck can pick up.

************* said:
Bright Raven said:
************* said:
I met a guy once that thought garbage disappeared once it was far enough back in the woods. I told him that plastic took a couple years to break down and he looked at me with a blank stare.

Yep. BTW: there are still a few places where locals dump the non-burnables like wash machines, dryers, refrigerators, stoves, BBQ grills, etc.

Why not take them to Winchester for scrap?

There is a scrape metal/recycling dealer in Maysville. I think they seek the most convenient method of disposal.

I am so glad that picking 7 running miles of road ditch here each spring only yields about two 5 gallon pails of junk. I couldn't live in areas like some of you do.

I forgot to mention the most common roadside trash here this time of the year is bale twine. Generally tied in a nice tight bundle. Everyone feeds big squares off of flatbeds. A certain amount of it ends up blowing off the truck while going down the road. People do drive the same route every day so they pick up what they lose, it just might take a day or two.

Dave said:
I forgot to mention the most common roadside trash here this time of the year is bale twine. Generally tied in a nice tight bundle. Everyone feeds big squares off of flatbeds. A certain amount of it ends up blowing off the truck while going down the road. People do drive the same route every day so they pick up what they lose, it just might take a day or two.
A lot of twine lost here also as I mow with a lawn mower about a half mile both sides and I have had to take the deck off twice to get the twine off. I didn't see it until it was to late.

callmefence said:
My wife made me get on the side by side the other day and drive round and pick up my beer cans. I told her their markers. How I tell where I been while spraying weeds.

Lol. If beer cans are markers for where the previous owner of my farm has been, then he has been over every square inch of this place several times.

I have picked up old beer cans for the last 15 years. I rarely find one now.

Bright Raven said:
callmefence said:
My wife made me get on the side by side the other day and drive round and pick up my beer cans. I told her their markers. How I tell where I been while spraying weeds.

Lol. If beer cans are markers for where the previous owner of my farm has been, then he has been over every square inch of this place several times.

Whiskey bottles on our place.

Bright Raven said:
callmefence said:

Prolly why you got that good grass.
Old boy did.lots of spraying

I'd be happy if plastic bags were banned. Paper is a far better material for making bags than plastic. Paper is biodegradable and their manufacture supports sustainable forestry.

Bright Raven said:
callmefence said:

Your successor will probably be complaining about tripping over wine bottles.

ga.prime said:
I'd be happy if plastic bags were banned. Paper is a far better material for making bags than plastic. Paper is biodegradable and their manufacture supports sustainable forestry.

Do your remember the environmental campaign during the push to move toward plastic. Save a tree and all that stuff?

Jogeephus said:
ga.prime said:

Do your remember the environmental campaign during the push to move toward plastic. Save a tree and all that stuff?

Haha, yeah. If the truth were known, probably orchestrated by undercover agents on the payroll of Dow Chemical and Exxon Mobil.

ga.prime said:
Jogeephus said:
ga.prime said:

Haha, yeah. If the truth were known, probably orchestrated by undercover agents on the payroll of Dow Chemical and Exxon Mobil.

:lol: :lol: Wouldn't surprise me one bit. I also can't help but wonder about this new Smokey Bear commercial about him hugging folks after they put out their campfire. In a few years I predict these same people will be saying Smokey groped them.

callmefence said:

Fence I look for those signs letting you know "The next 2 miles adopted by so and so" and throw them out there

ALACOWMAN said:
Gonna miss those old yellow Dollar General bags.that dot the the landscape
Yellow bags were a lot better than the white bags, but the best was when they had pink bags. I kept all of those, still have a drawer full. They stand out in a crowd. Most common bag I've picked up is Walmart bags.

ga.prime said:
ALACOWMAN said:
Yellow bags were a lot better than the white bags, but the best was when they had pink bags. I kept all of those, still have a drawer full. They stand out in a crowd. Most common bag I've picked up is Walmart bags.
Use to be that way here, till they built a Dollar general in every hole the can shove one in...

ALACOWMAN said:
ga.prime said:
ALACOWMAN said:
Use to be that way here, till they built a Dollar general in every hole the can shove one in...

Same here. They built one not far from here, right in a blind curve on a busy farm to market road. It's downright dangerous trying to get back out on the road from the store. True to predictions, even tho it is out in a rural area, it got robbed within 6 months of opening, but the sheriff's dept was tipped off by someone and they caught them in the act. One would be robber tried to run, and in the fusillade of bullets fired by LEOs, he got shot square in the buttocks as he ran down along the side of the building. Serves him right..