Maternally oriented Red Angus herds

Help Support CattleToday:

ShuterSunset

Reaction score
Who are the best maternally oriented Red Angus operations out there? I am wanting to head in the maternal direction with my new RA herd, and am trying to identify what breeders would be good to study their approach on genetic selection and to try to follow their methods.

Good luck! Friom what I've seen (not just Red Angus) the definition of maternal depends on the breeder.

Their are several different breeders who have maternal herds, but it all depends on what you consider maternal is. I feel our operation is as or more maternal than most other herds out there, but the next guy may not think that. I encourage you to go and have a look at a few different programs, and see if that is the way you want to go. Their are some programs that are advertised as high maternal, but I personally wouldn't use that type of genetics, as they seem to be finer made from top to bottom and front to back. But that is just me. But most importantly, study the bulls you plan on using, as some have great maternal numbers, but their feet or their daughters udders aren't the kind that will last a long time, or some may be harder doing than others. To me a good maternal cow should be easy fleshing, deeper made, breeds back year after year, very sound on her feet and legs, has a good solid made udder, and has the ability to raise a top calf every year, without eating the profit away.

Our breeding program may be a little different than most. We will either spend alot of $ on a herd sire or keep one of our own, but we don't purchase much outside semen. I will study the bulls dam, sisters, and grand dam (if she is around yet). I will make sure they are what I am wanting my cowherd to look like. Then I will buy him and use him hard. He has to be out of a strong cow family, but also have to have some performance in them, as I am selling bulls as well. The bulls we keep from our program, are selected the same way. We do alot of embryo work. We flush what we feel are some of our top cows that are from our top cow families to outside bulls that we think will work in our program. Then we will select what we think is a bull that will work for us, both on the bull end and the female end.

Most of our customers sell off the cow in the fall or background and sell in January. They need to have a performance type calf with good stretch and muscle to get paid top dollar. Then we buy alot of our customers feeder calves and feed them out. They must have the ability to feed efficient and grow when asked to.

I invite you out to have a look at our program and cattle and you can make your own opinion on what we have.

Below are some pictures of our cows.

We kept a son out of this cow this year. She is 9 years old

She is 6 years old

A 11 year old cow

An 8 year old

a 6 year old

a 6 year old

What I call our best cow. This photo was taken in 2007 and she is a 2003 model. We sold a 1/2 interest of a son to 10 breeders and ABS out of her this spring. He is breeding cows for us right now and will again for our May/June calvers. I want to get 100 head bred to him. His sire is a little different breeding for us, and is known for outstanding daughters. I have seen several, and just love them.

Another 2003 model, photo taken on 2008

We are using a son out of this girl. She is a 1998 model. The photo was taken in 2006.

This is the dam to the cow above that I call our best cow. We are using 2 different sons of hers in our program.

Here is another good cow that we sold due to an injury. We thought about flushing her, but she tested positive for OS, so we just canned her.

Here is another cow that we are currently flushing. Her dam and grand dam are also donor cows for us. We have a maternal brother to her walking our pastures. He bred through AI and natural service, around 125 cows last year for us. Plus 5 different other breeders used him.

Here is a cow we sold to another breeder a few years back. She is currently in his donor pen.

We purchased this girl, and she may go into our donor pen. She raised a son that sold to ABS this past spring.

Here is a good 5 year old, that I think we will be flushing this year.

I also have photos of most of our herd sires dams if you want to see what we are trying to do.

Thanks,
Bryan

BRG":ez0b562r said:
Their are several different breeders who have maternal herds, but it all depends on what you consider maternal is.

Bryan
Exactly

That is a nice set of cows BRG. Hopefully I can get a chance to get out and see your operation sometime. I agree with your assessment of a maternally oriented cow

"To me a good maternal cow should be easy fleshing, deeper made, breeds back year after year, very sound on her feet and legs, has a good solid made udder, and has the ability to raise a top calf every year, without eating the profit away."

I don't want to chase the "maternal" numbers, I want to focus on those functional traits that you mentioned.

I tend to try to take my "vacations" around cattle trips, but my wife doesn't agree that a trip with cows involved is a "vacation". We also have two young kids so not that I am going to get to do the traveling and evaluating of herds like I would really like to do as we get into this new business. I'm gonna have to try to absorb as much advice from respected people within the breed as I can.

Thanks for the PM by the way BRG.

ShuterSunset":19le8hsx said:
"To me a good maternal cow should be easy fleshing, deeper made, breeds back year after year, very sound on her feet and legs, has a good solid made udder, and has the ability to raise a top calf every year, without eating the profit away."

I don't want to chase the "maternal" numbers, I want to focus on those functional traits that you mentioned.

Good luck. You are already on your way if you can truly resist the urge to chase NUMBERS.

Nice cows BRG

Thanks guys.

ShuterSunset, if you ever have questions, please feel free to call myself, or other breeders for advice. Most of us are more than happy to help anyway we can.

ShuterSunset":28520rol said:
I tend to try to take my "vacations" around cattle trips, but my wife doesn't agree that a trip with cows involved is a "vacation". We also have two young kids so not that I am going to get to do the traveling and evaluating of herds like I would really like to do as we get into this new business. I'm gonna have to try to absorb as much advice from respected people within the breed as I can.

Funny but my dear wife feels the same way. :D

Another funny thing is that there would even be a question about the maternal value of Red Angus herds.

It may just be a romantic notion that at one time Red Angus were a "maternal" breed .

The reality now though is that the question needs to be asked. :???:

BRG answered your question well.

From my experience it is of benefit to define very clearly what "good feet", "good udders", "good fertility" etc means and then make sure whoever it is you are asking for advice uses your same specific definitions.

dun":3g3da30n said:
Good luck! Friom what I've seen (not just Red Angus) the definition of maternal depends on the breeder.

best post in a while dun! :clap:

Anyone know where you can get BC Hobo 1961? I talked to my ABS rep and he said that they were out of it.

We were thinking about using some of him to get some females.

I always enjoy looking at good cows. BRG certainly has some great examples of his program. Another set of maternal Angus cattle I have great admiration for are Diamond D bred. Mark and Don Deboo from Valier, MT "http//www.diamonddangus.com" have mostly blacks, but are as about as good of a low maintenance program as any I know of. I think they are starting to breed some RA as well. Good Luck!

Quite the set of cows BRG. Have to respect the consistency in depth of body and structural correctness. We have started a small red herd and wouldn't mind adding upon it especially if the cows look like these. What is your average mature frame on these cows? Are they rather large or fairly moderate?

Jake":gech6rlz said:
What is your average mature frame on these cows? Are they rather large or fairly moderate?
Now we're into definitions again.

I invite you out to have a look at our program and cattle and you can make your own opinion on what we have.
BRG
To me the best pic in the bunch is the second one. A 6 year old raising a quality ( maybe half her own body weight) calf to weaning without falling apart. Along with phenotype this is what we all should be striving for.
I would also like to point out that there is more to it than the obvious selection of good maternal ability. Proper management of breeding season in relation to forage and pasture management play a major role no matter how good the cattle are.
My hat is off to you.

dun":2i3celho said:
Jake":2i3celho said:
What is your average mature frame on these cows? Are they rather large or fairly moderate?

This may defining maternal but as much as I like the look and attributes of these cows. Before I can call up and order any semen I really need to know if they can survive in my environment and our under our management. A smaller framed cow is much more likely to excel than a larger framed cow who's input requirements are going to limit your capabilities.

It's kind of like novatech said. In order to match our forage and winter grazing situations it takes a certain type of cow that we have found is rather hard to develop. Very few breeders that I have found at least in our area can supply an animal that has enough moderation in all traits to thrive in our system.

dun":iosvwlyc said:
Jake":iosvwlyc said:

I would say our cows are in the middle. The are not the small nor large. I see cows that are a heck of a lot bigger and small than what we have. We shoot for the middle of the road. I feel our cows have some substance, bone, and length, while having the ability to raise a heavy calf at weaning that will go on and do it on feed. But the cows are not pampered at all. Only grass for the most part, and when we do feed them, it is just grass hay.

novatech":30831hdc said:
BRG
To me the best pic in the bunch is the second one. A 6 year old raising a quality ( maybe half her own body weight) calf to weaning without falling apart. Along with phenotype this is what we all should be striving for.
I would also like to point out that there is more to it than the obvious selection of good maternal ability. Proper management of breeding season in relation to forage and pasture management play a major role no matter how good the cattle are.
My hat is off to you.

Thanks novatech! The bull calf that is sucking in the photo you are talking about, grew up and we sold him for $3750 this spring.

Brian if you don't mind me asking what was his weaning weight. He looks to be pushing 650 in the picture.

Latest posts