Matching cattle to the land

Help Support CattleToday:

I suppose the area could be considered a high desert. The canyon has a unique feature of getting fog from a nearby lake, so it doses get moisture, but because it's in a rain shadow, it doesn't get much rain. If you've been in Eastern Washington, and know the area between Moses Lake and Wenatchee, you'll know what I mean. This area is just outside of Quincy as you're heading towards Wenatchee.

In the 20+ mile canyon, there are only two house, and no cattle. They seem to be farmers, not ranchers. I've also considered there may be a reason there's very few cattle in the area. Maybe it's not hospitable enough for commercial cattle production.

On the topic of cattle production, there seems to be several catagories of cattle raisers; Professional cattlemen, the ones who breed and sell like horse breeders play with their horses, and the hobbiest, and the ones who raise cattle for their own freezers. I'm thinking the environment in the pictured area may not be suited for cattle for commercial purposes. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm only basing this on the fact that I haven't seen cattle in any sizable herds in the area. Unless I find a breed of cattle that thrive in the pictured area, I'm left with being a breeder, a hobbiest, or raising cattle for my freezer unless I can find enough secluded land elsewhere. On the other hand, a hobbiest isn't restricted to market restrictions and rules. They can tailor the cattle to the environment via cross breeding.

The above is me thinking outloud. I'm airing these thoughts so, if I'm wrong, I can get corrected and learn.

63HD8,

I was going to guess that land was in the Wenatchee/Yakima area, I was a little off. I would go with Angus, Hereford or a cross of these. Call the county extension agent and ask him what most ranchers are running. I don't get over in that area much, so I can tell you what would work good.

Bobg

Your land pictures and environmental conditions are very similar to mine here in Harney County, Oregon where Hereford x Angus do well. I've recently added black Gelbvieh breed which are being cross bred with black Angus. Not sure yet how they'll do foraging to keep their weight on my summer range compared to my Hereford x Angus who have done very well. Some other advice: 1. Don't buy west side stock to put in the dry eastern Washington environment because some livestock just don't adapt well to the climatic shock change, dust, and forage differences. I've seen respiratory problems leading to pneumonia death in some livestock asked to make that adaption; 2. If possible, buy your cattle "private treaty" so you know where they've come from and how they've been cared for; and 3. Regardless of the breed selected make sure they're healthy and can successfully produce good offspring. Many factors should be considered for #3 for which you will want to study. My practice is: buy local private treaty; buy no younger than proven 1st calf heifers (preferably a 3 in 1 package); buy healthy livestock with good feet, mouth, body weight, eyes, and temperment. Temperment is important because in your eastern Washington environment you'll probably need to move them out by the end of November by horseback and trailering for wintering and calving, so good tempered livestock are a lot easier to trail and load. Since you've got water running thru the property you shouldn't have to worry about your cattle leaving your land, but you may find other rancher's livestock wanting to join your herd. Even if you're fenced the outside livestock will try to find their way in or break fencing for the water. Good luck!

S.R.R.":3indai5j said:
Is this a business venture or just for fun, good meat and to pay the taxes?
The reason I ask is that there are a few breeds that would work in your environment. One that would more then likely give you the best return and another that would give you less stress and problems over all.

63DH8":3indai5j said:
Problem one is, outside that canyon, the environment changes. It's flat farmland just over the south side of the hills in the pictures, and on the north side, there's snow until late May-early June. There are cattle out there, but very few, and they're almost all black and white hybrids. I'm not dismissing hybrids. They've been bred to be tailored to the environment they're in. Buttt.... I'd like something old fashion, unique, traditional... out of the ordinary for the area, yet hardy for the environment.

From your above statement Highland cattle would suit you to a tee!
"old fashion, unique, traditional... out of the ordinary for the area, yet hardy for the environment."

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes!

This link should get you started.
http://www.thorbardinranch.com/

If you do end up wanting to cross them inorder to get that hybrid vigor studys have shown that putting a good Hereford bull on them will result in some real nice calves. Also If you want to stick with the unique and out of the ordinary for your area put a Welsh Black bull on them. The resulting black calves grow like mad and make some great mama cows! Here is a link to a ranch that sells some of the top Welsh blacks in north america. http://www.westernrancher.com/CelticCattle.html

Always feel free to ask here for help/info. Best of luck to you in your new adventure.

brangus cows with a hereford bull should work just fine. thanks to the angus the brangus will get plenty hairy in the wintertime.

Latest posts