Master cattlemen

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Texan":1yzzbtoh said:
Caustic Burno":1yzzbtoh said:
Might go to the coffe shop and check out the hobby farmer thread if shoe fits.
You talking to me, Hoss?

No and you know I wasn't now get on that little green deer and ride down to the shop and get the head puller, if you don't get eat up by red wasp.

Caustic Burno":2djhgy4f said:
No and you know I wasn't now get on that little green deer and ride down to the shop and get the head puller, if you don't get eat up by red wasp.
:lol2:

Texan":30qhhyvz said:
By the way, Caustic.... I know we're friends and all, but you and I might have to disagree again. :lol: Jeanne might be guilty of being a New York yankee. I guess she can't help that. But she ain't stupid!

Texan I agree with you.

I am new on this board. I read this board for the last 2 month and for me Jeanne is one of the members who give the best advices with good judgement. I don't think she is stupid.
Caustic I don't like reading this kind of comments on this board.

Caustic Burno":1tnnwjz8 said:
...Come on guys I can see a rancher as a truck driver, mechanic, banker, lawyer, doctor, or even an Indian Chief but a cleaning service...

How about poor white oilfield trash? I don't want to get left out! ;-)

Darn Caustic, I thought I was the only one on here that could start a whirling derbish such as this..... Keep on stirring brother......

Buruno, I think you've got something going! I tried to start the discussion up with my "Art or Science" post but went nowhere. You've got it going full bore. My hat is off to the Master!

I agree with stocky I run my bulls all year round works better for me ,when I was young I read every artical on farming and applied it -(GOOD WAY TO GO BROKE) --2 sucessful old farmers told me
1 theres no room for you and the bank in the cattle business

2 mathematics and farming dont work

gendronf":1a9euxe7 said:
II am new on this board. I read this board for the last 2 month and for me Jeanne is one of the members who give the best advices with good judgement. I don't think she is stupid.

Now I am upset wasn't till you posted.

rk":2bjqiyez said:
"mathematics and farming don't work"?????
I believe norriscathy mentioned something about farming being an art rather than a science.

Mathematics is a pure science and works for pure science exceedingly well.
Farming is not a pure science :!:
But I'll bet you knew that, didn't you?

Carlos D.":33rr508e said:
I agree with stocky I run my bulls all year round works better for me ,when I was young I read every artical on farming and applied it -(GOOD WAY TO GO BROKE) --2 sucessful old farmers told me
1 theres no room for you and the bank in the cattle business

2 mathematics and farming dont work

Yes, farming is not pure science, but how can anyone think mathematics isn't important?

Didnt say mathematics wasnt important, just said it didnt work as far as farming went--many years ago when I had to satisfy bankers i put out projections for the coming year that just dazzled them, guess what nothing ever turned out the way I projected it----the reason I deal with live animals ---to many variables they die, they get sick, they dont get bred, they abort .ect,

Carlos,

Maybe I'm not understanding.....lot's of ways to make projections and evaluate results.....but seems like math would be part of everyday farming?

I try to avoid these type of discussions because you can't change anybodys opinion on what they do. I have managed both types of ranches dedicated calving season and year around calving. The one I am on now calves year around which works real well for this type of country(and we ain't going broke). We don't feed cattle short of drought and then we will sell out before getting to much into them. We vaccinate our cattle just like most we just arent anal about it and it gets done at the works.Just like most if a cow don't calve she leaves. I do works 3 times a year which means sometimes big calves show up at the branding and once in awhile they are still wet.
P.S. Caustic do you get the Livestock Weekly The cartoon this week just tore me up.
Adios :D

Caustic Burno":t536ksi9 said:
gendronf":t536ksi9 said:
II am new on this board. I read this board for the last 2 month and for me Jeanne is one of the members who give the best advices with good judgement. I don't think she is stupid.

Now I am upset wasn't till you posted.

Burno, I didn't know you were so thin skined!

aztumbleweed":2lijcjzc said:
I try to avoid these type of discussions because you can't change anybodys opinion on what they do. I have managed both types of ranches dedicated calving season and year around calving. The one I am on now calves year around which works real well for this type of country(and we ain't going broke). We don't feed cattle short of drought and then we will sell out before getting to much into them. We vaccinate our cattle just like most we just arent anal about it and it gets done at the works.Just like most if a cow don't calve she leaves. I do works 3 times a year which means sometimes big calves show up at the branding and once in awhile they are still wet.
P.S. Caustic do you get the Livestock Weekly The cartoon this week just tore me up.
Adios :D

No I don't get that one I take the "Cattleman".
Yes Norris I am very sensitive wife hurt my one feeling the other morning at breakfast when she called me a syrup sopping SOB, then I figured out she was just calling me Sweet Thang.

[Yes Norris I am very sensitive wife hurt my one feeling the other morning at breakfast when she called me a syrup sopping SOB, then I figured out she was just calling me Sweet Thang.[/quote]

Now that's funny!

I sure think Aplusmnt, hit the nail on the head. I'm not saying you can't make money with year round calving. I'm just agreeing with the hundreds experts that say that year round calving is "less efficent" I would like to hear caustics answers to how he deals with the issues aplusmnt brought up in his last couple posts. Valid questions in my book. Seems those for year round calving have done nothing to justify their point of view other than say "It works for us what do you know" more or less. When research clearly favors seasoned calving as does success, look at the 10 biggest ranches in the US (cow/calf numbers) Do any of them calve year round? Why not? how did they become successful?
I also wonder what is so wrong with the educated cattleman? Or those that decide get into cattle later in life. I see cowboys that go to college and learn a better way, after all the industry has picked up things from colleges over the years that seem to work well. One comes to mind, AI oh and ET almost forgot estrus synchrinization how bout semen testing, preg checking and every one of those lovely vaccines you put into your cows was developed by your beloved college boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts