Master cattlemen

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just don't get it!!! 99% of the "new ideas/techniques" are from people that have no idea what they are doing!! Look at YOUR Schedule F in last years tax return. How much money did YOU make! Mister, the proof in in the pudding and I'll bet you ain't got no pudding in your bowl!!! Some people don't know enough about something to realize how little they really know!

norriscathy":1lkxlmus said:
You just don't get it!!! 99% of the "new ideas/techniques" are from people that have no idea what they are doing!! Look at YOUR Schedule F in last years tax return. How much money did YOU make! Mister, the proof in in the pudding and I'll bet you ain't got no pudding in your bowl!!! Some people don't know enough about something to realize how little they really know!

Norris now your argueing with a wall the Commode Cowboy here just don't get it. If one calving season works for your opeartion do it, if two work for you then thats the one you should use, if year around brings you to the dance and home that is the one to use. This is what they don't get it's about making money I couldn't Imagine calving year around in Northern states versus year around on the gulf coast. This by no means that calving year around on the Gulf coast is right for everyone either. The blanket statement by Jeanne about calving year around is stupid is wrong she is the stupid one as no one situation fits every enviroment if it did we would all be raising the same breed the same way.

norriscathy":20f38u94 said:

Was this directed towards me? If it was, I would say the people at all the Agriculture universities and extension services through out the U.S. have an idea what they are doing!

And anyone with common sense can understand the simple reality that if you are feeding Dry cows the same as Nursing cows you are loosing money, and if you are feeding Nursing cows the same as Dry cows you are loosing money.

Maybe if Caustic utilized some of those results that the extension agents and Ag Schools have spent years of research to help cattleman maximize their operation, he could afford that trip to Branson his wife would like to make. Maybe that little bit of extra pounds at the sale, that one less loss calf or cow, and that extra time he would have would make that trip possible!

As far as proof in the pudding. You might not want to go there!

Well wish I could stay and debate some more but leaving for IA to get my new bull. Guess I will get my riot act Sunday when I return.

A lot of those seminars are sales pitches. I was at one once where a guy was talking about a newfangled autoinjector. He said it would speed up your process that it would easily pay for inself it time the first year alone. His method was catching them in the headgate first. I asked him how that saved time over just standing on the catwalk and walking down the line giving shots from there. He said well its easier and asked how many people used my method. About a third of us raised our hand. He was a behind the desk cattleman. In that room he was out of place as a billygoat at a wedding reception. The room was full of a lot of folks that had been around cattle a while. He did sell a few but none to any of the oldtimers. I agree there are new a improved methods coming out everday. You just have to be wise enough not to get suckered. If we gave every shot, every suppliment, every health practice etc... that was recommended - we would all go broke.

If Caustic plans on doing a seminar I'd be the first to attend. A lot of folks would gain a lot of insight about the cattle business sitting in that class. Chances are it wouldn't go over the time limit either. He tends to say what he means without having to roll the words around.

Caustic it is good to know you are so much smarter than all the Vets, all the Animal Scientist, we are really honored to have such a smart person in our mist!

If you are so smart explain to us the best way to manage a herd that is calving all 12 months out of the year? Explain how to keep them on right mineral? Right Vaccinations? How to feed those nursing cows properly when they are roaming with the dry cows? Please explain some details on this I would love to know your great wisdom! I would love to know your weaning process and how many days you spend doing what some people do in just a few days a year?

Maybe your system does work for you, and then again maybe you have low standards, and what you call successful is poverty for others.

Maybe if you get some free time you can come clean some toilets for me and then take that extra money on down to Branson with your wife (we live a short drive from there) for that vacation she so wants.

Ok really out of here now!

aplusmnt":9giaf2jn said:
norriscathy":9giaf2jn said:

Was this directed towards me? If it was, I would say the people at all the Agriculture universities and extension services through out the U.S. have an idea what they are doing!

And anyone with common sense can understand the simple reality that if you are feeding Dry cows the same as Nursing cows you are loosing money, and if you are feeding Nursing cows the same as Dry cows you are loosing money.

Maybe if Caustic utilized some of those results that the extension agents and Ag Schools have spent years of research to help cattleman maximize their operation, he could afford that trip to Branson his wife would like to make. Maybe that little bit of extra pounds at the sale, that one less loss calf or cow, and that extra time he would have would make that trip possible!

As far as proof in the pudding. You might not want to go there!

Well wish I could stay and debate some more but leaving for IA to get my new bull. Guess I will get my riot act Sunday when I return.

You are exactly who I am talking to!! You didn't answer my question, how much did you make farming last year (in case you didn't know what a schedule F was). Go ahead add back in the depreciation, I'll still give you 10 to one odds to lost your tail. Extension agents are also who I'm talking about. We first moved to East Texas I call and asked the extension agent how much land it took in this county to carry a cow. He told me 5 per acre. I said ; you mean 5 acres per cow. He said; no, you will be able to carry 5 cows to the acre! Yes, extension agents are really on the ball! Most Ag research is carried out with unlimited funds on a small scale basis. Given enough water and fertilizer I guess you could feed the world out of a flower pot.

norriscathy":1ynmec4t said:
You are exactly who I am talking to!! You didn't answer my question, how much did you make farming last year (in case you didn't know what a schedule F was). Go ahead add back in the depreciation, I'll still give you 10 to one odds to lost your tail. Extension agents are also who I'm talking about. We first moved to East Texas I call and asked the extension agent how much land it took in this county to carry a cow. He told me 5 per acre. I said ; you mean 5 acres per cow. He said; no, you will be able to carry 5 cows to the acre! Yes, extension agents are really on the ball! Most Ag research is carried out with unlimited funds on a small scale basis. Given enough water and fertilizer I guess you could feed the world out of a flower pot.

Man this has gotten personal. I would guess that extension agents are just like people (Wait, they are!); there are good and bad ones. Our agent is a great guy and helps the whole community out. You don't ever have to take anyone's advice if you dont want to. Not really fair to paint everything with one brush.

I don't see how anyone sitting at a computer is qualified to judge someone's operation whether or not they calve year yound. It's o.k. to learn from the professors and the old salts. Take what you need from each and improve yourself.

Yes, I am starting to get a little impatient with those that can't seem to understand that everything is different for every cattleman and is also different for each cattleman from one year to the next. There is no ONE correct answer, there are many; and the correct answer for this year will probably be the wrong one for next. Each of us has to manage our herd in the manner that is best for us and above all you had better be flexible.

Bama":2f02c6eh said:
If Caustic plans on doing a seminar I'd be the first to attend. A lot of folks would gain a lot of insight about the cattle business sitting in that class. Chances are it wouldn't go over the time limit either. He tends to say what he means without having to roll the words around.

Bama, you got that right, but I'd nver admit that to Burno!

I raise cattle in NorthWest Alabama. The winters are mild. If we get 2" of snow the schools close and the bread and milk trucks work overtime. I plug in my de-icer only about 10 days in the tank at the barn. Don't even bother breaking ice in ponds. On a really cold days the cows just put their butts in the wind and keep on eating. Summers rarely get over 100 degrees. Cattle do slow down in the heat of the day but you don't have to twist their arm ( uh leg ) to get them out of the shade. I have fescue pastures and bermuda pastures. I don't have any cactus, mesquite, palm, or other problem bushes some have. There are no big feedlots within several hundred miles. I have a lot of fireants and have to address that problem. I can easily run a cow and calf per acre. Most years rain is plentiful but not a problem. I raise commercial stock and also buy stockers. Now compair my operation to someone from our friendly neighbor to the north. The methods used up there will be completly differant from mine. The methods used out west will be differant from either of ours. Bottom line is no method will fit in all situtations. Which one is better? The one that works best for a perticular situtation.

aplusmnt":3m0evgwr said:
Caustic it is good to know you are so much smarter than all the Vets, all the Animal Scientist, we are really honored to have such a smart person in our mist!

If you are so smart explain to us the best way to manage a herd that is calving all 12 months out of the year? Explain how to keep them on right mineral? Right Vaccinations? How to feed those nursing cows properly when they are roaming with the dry cows? Please explain some details on this I would love to know your great wisdom! I would love to know your weaning process and how many days you spend doing what some people do in just a few days a year?

Maybe your system does work for you, and then again maybe you have low standards, and what you call successful is poverty for others.

Maybe if you get some free time you can come clean some toilets for me and then take that extra money on down to Branson with your wife (we live a short drive from there) for that vacation she so wants.

Ok really out of here now!

No my hats off to you never figured out how to run cattle in an office how much broom straw can a cow eat. Go clean a restroom something you are qualified to do. Also Commode Cowboy anytime you want to compare net worth lets go but I have a feeling you would run back through that hole you dug under the fence.

Caustic, Craig, and the others probably have a lot more cows than me, so I can't speak for them. But, I don't have hundreds of head and I am not out west where things are measured in acres per cow. Kansas, etc. is a bit north of here and the seasons may be a lot more variable and severe. Some situations year around calving may not work at all.

I don't claim to know more about the cattle business in those areas, so am not about to tell you how you ought to do it.
Just maybe some of us know what works best for us.

When someone says they know what's best for everybody else , I figure that is a salesman pushing the company line or somebody that hasn't realized yet that "a little learning is a dangerous thing".

You can be as booksmart as you want in this business.What works in Montana may not work in Tennessee, or what works here may not work in Texas or other places.Puting management practices to work and the fundamentals are what makes you a sucess or a failure.I'm sure most of us can hang a diploma from the school of "Hard Knocks" on the wall. Some of us may have a few of them.
I'm not about to take my practices that work for me and apply what some preppy Ivy League geek comes up with.

rk":1x846nab said:
Y'all hold on.....I'm going to get some more pop corn.

I don't see caustic losing this one. It's one thing to disagree with someone's practices; but something entirely different when you bring in the person's wife and Branson. I'd like to say that I have caustic's back, but I don't think he needs it.

do not get me wrong, I think educators are extremely important especially to our kids.

The "higher learning" educators on occassion I have had problems with......and this statement I am about to make does not apply to all, as I try to avoid speaking in absolute's, but my dad (8th grade education) has a saying..... those who can do, those who can't teach.... there have been professors that I've had and it should of been emblazoned on their backsides!

sorry, it's just that this thread reminded me of my dad's saying and i'd thought i'd share... ;-)

cypressfarms":cu6mpvn5 said:
rk":cu6mpvn5 said:
Y'all hold on.....I'm going to get some more pop corn.

I don't see caustic losing this one. It's one thing to disagree with someone's practices; but something entirely different when you bring in the person's wife and Branson. I'd like to say that I have caustic's back, but I don't think he needs it.

Oh this isn't the first time Commode Cowboy has attacked my family as he can't hold his own with out insulting someone's family, which has always been offlimits on the board unofficially. I invited him to Bar-b -Que , Come on guys I can see a rancher as a truck driver, mechanic, banker, lawyer, doctor, or even an Indian Chief but a cleaning service. To have a cleaning service need to have a city and people that need these services, sounds a long way from Green Acres.

Sounds like a good program. None of us can ever get too much education. But we always have to temper it with common sense and be sure that it will pay off. Just because we learn if from somebody with a doctorate, doesn't mean it will make us money.

By the way, Caustic.... I know we're friends and all, but you and I might have to disagree again. :lol: Jeanne might be guilty of being a New York yankee. I guess she can't help that. But she ain't stupid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts