Questions to Texas Cattlemen/women

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":16tbx6lz said:
andybob":16tbx6lz said:
melking":16tbx6lz said:
sorry, but what is "ear"?

Brahman cattle and their composites, have, in common with other Bos Indicus breeds, large ears which help in heat dissipation.
While this is a desireable trait in itself from an adaptation to heat trait, buyers in the USA discriminate against cattle with large ears, and good quality Brahman crosses fetch a lower price than small eared breeds. This practice is not followed in any other country that I know of, and when I enquired why this discrimination is practiced, my ranching friends told me it was because they can!

But this only occurs in certain markets within the US. In this area a cow/calf with "a little bit of ear" brings a pretty good premium as do purebred brahmans IF you can find them.

IF is right. When eared females go through the sale barn, you'd best have deep pockets.

cypressfarms":30zx18uj said:
Caustic Burno":30zx18uj said:
andybob":30zx18uj said:
Caustic, it seems you need to develop an F1 damline for your area, a cross with your Brahman or similar southern adapted breed and Galloway to give the coat for winter, a 25% Galloway would probably work better, giving enough coat for the worst of the winter, and shedding clean for the hot weather. What opinions do other cattlemen have on developing crossbreeds rather than composites to address unique local conditions?

We have developed one called Tigers they will eat you alive, can raise a calf on barb wire and briars. They have two well known traits fight or flight. There is no finer momma cow than a F-1 Hereford/Brimmer cross. The second one we developed is either tied or runs a close second is Brangus. Tigers come to the pen with the fuse lit Brangus come toting a box of matches.

The best one is a baldy made by crossing a brangus with a hereford. That will be a good mama, a good steer, or anything else you need. Some people around here call them "super baldies". They have slightly more ear than a normal baldy due to the brangus blood. I think crossing a braford with a brangus would give too much ear, but jmho.

Have heard this as well..been wanting to try it, but cant seem to find a good Hereford bull around here..well, at least one I could "use"..Not sure I want to make a purchase of one either..but it is something Ive had in the back of my mind.

andybob":2znygopq said:
melking":2znygopq said:

Brahman cattle and their composites, have, in common with other Bos Indicus breeds, large ears which help in heat dissipation.
While this is a desireable trait in itself from an adaptation to heat trait, buyers in the USA discriminate against cattle with large ears, and good quality Brahman crosses fetch a lower price than small eared breeds. This practice is not followed in any other country that I know of, and when I enquired why this discrimination is practiced, my ranching friends told me it was because they can!

Not in my area..eared cattle bring premium $$$ down here..but I imagine, as TXbred said..certain areas of the US market, ear may not be desirable.

spinandslide":3g6epsuv said:
andybob":3g6epsuv said:
melking":3g6epsuv said:

Not in my area..eared cattle bring premium $$$ down here..but I imagine, as TXbred said..certain areas of the US market, ear may not be desirable.

I think Wichitaman is up in your neck of the woods and has a mighty good herd of herefords. Might be worth looking into. He might work a deal good for both of you.

thanks Richard. :)

Ill have to get with him..possibly in the future for a nice Hereford bull..this year is all Brangus though..saw the bull this weekend..he is stellar...all three girls are going for their little "vacation" this weekend for 2 months...;)

andybob":2maks0f1 said:
melking":2maks0f1 said:

Melking, I'd like to further qualify andybob's statement about "ear". Down here in the deep south "ear" is very desirable in replacement heifers. So a commercial brangus, tigerstripe, or any other female with ear would bring a premium, as they are considered preferred cows for cow/calfers. However, the problem comes in when that cow has a bull calf with ear. Steers with ear will not bring as much as steers with normal ear. Just the way it is down here. That's a big reason why I'll probably go to a baldy operation with one of the herds. Baldies will bring good money regardless of being a heifer or a steer.

cypressfarms":3cv7kirv said:
Melking, I'd like to further qualify andybob's statement about "ear". Down here in the deep south "ear" is very desirable in replacement heifers. So a commercial brangus, tigerstripe, or any other female with ear would bring a premium, as they are considered preferred cows for cow/calfers. However, the problem comes in when that cow has a bull calf with ear. Steers with ear will not bring as much as steers with normal ear. Just the way it is down here. That's a big reason why I'll probably go to a baldy operation with one of the herds. Baldies will bring good money regardless of being a heifer or a steer.

If you have a good herd, running a terminal bull to trim ear for market calves is pretty easy to do. You'll get more for your steers but you are going to take a big hit on any heifers of quality.

I have Brangus, Hereford and Braford. Through the years running a Hereford bull the super baldies calves have always brought top dollar here over everthing else I haul to Crockett no matter if it is heifer or steer.

melking":37axm46e said:
Thanks for answering the ear question everyone. I assume from what I have read that my Brangus would be big eared heifers?

Yes, Brangus would be called big eared :lol2: The biggest of all eared would be brahman, with the higher the brahman content, the bigger the ear.

However, some of the best selling replacement heifers are F1 crosses with Angus and Brahman. The only replacements that I've regularly seen go for more would be super baldies and sometimes tigerstripes.

Caustic Burno":2ck9fv6n said:
I have Brangus, Hereford and Braford. Through the years running a Hereford bull the super baldies calves have always brought top dollar here over everthing else I haul to Crockett no matter if it is heifer or steer.

Best terminal bull Dad ever had was an F-1 baldy. It seems every calf looked just like him no matter what the dam was.

Latest posts