Master cattlemen

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beef11":14t5aqkm said:
I sure think Aplusmnt, hit the nail on the head. I'm not saying you can't make money with year round calving. I'm just agreeing with the hundreds experts that say that year round calving is "less efficent" I would like to hear caustics answers to how he deals with the issues aplusmnt brought up in his last couple posts. Valid questions in my book. Seems those for year round calving have done nothing to justify their point of view other than say "It works for us what do you know" more or less. When research clearly favors seasoned calving as does success, look at the 10 biggest ranches in the US (cow/calf numbers) Do any of them calve year round? Why not? how did they become successful?
I also wonder what is so wrong with the educated cattleman? Or those that decide get into cattle later in life. I see cowboys that go to college and learn a better way, after all the industry has picked up things from colleges over the years that seem to work well. One comes to mind, AI oh and ET almost forgot estrus synchrinization how bout semen testing, preg checking and every one of those lovely vaccines you put into your cows was developed by your beloved college boys.

Well if you had read the post I never argued against one calving season versus two versus year around. I said if it works for you do it I didn't dog people who did just one. I prefer to work my cattle once a month versus once or twice a year, I also live in a climate that my hay season is 4 to 8 weeks at the most so carrying wet cows through our winter is not an issue. As far as the Commode Cowboy goes most likely can haul the whole ranch in a cattle trailer(short one 16') with such and such ranch painted on the side with a 10 gallon hat on a half pint head.

Beef,
Don't expect rationale by Caustic on Caustic's views...because he normally doesn't have any. Just criticism of other folks who differ with him with constructive reasons. Go back and analyze his comments and see if you garner supported reasoning.

You'll learn to ignore him.

preston39":2c9ha4w6 said:
Beef,
Don't expect rationale by Caustic on Caustic's views...because he normally doesn't have any. Just criticism of other folks who differ with him with constructive reasons. Go back and analyze his comments and give us his supported reasons.

You'll learn to ignore him.

Go back to Europe.

People aren't taking offense at the notion of a calving season. For crying out loud, it's not some kind of new concept. People are taking offense at being told they don't know what they're doing or they're lazy if they don't practice a calving season. And rightfully so. Anybody who has never seen a successful year-round calving season is new to cattle. Period.

We could probably make a little more money if we pulled our bulls off for most of the year. Probably. One swing in the market when it was time to sell the calf crop could also wipe out the premium that a uniform lot would bring. Year round calving spreads the risk.

But leaving that aside, the little bit of extra money is not worth it to me. Because it's a little bit of money, not a lot. The way we're set up it would be considerably more work for a little extra money. I don't have the time or flexibility in my schedule.

The cattle business is just like any other business in this regard. There are plenty of ideas to consider. But if I catch myself doing something the hard way instead of the easy way (for me) then I better be able to tell myself I'm coming out way ahead on the money. If I'm not, then I'm working for the cows harder than they're working for me.

Like I said, in my situation a year-round calving season works best. Or, if it will make some folks feel better, I just say I have 12 one-month calving seasons.

Caustic Burno":3oayzy6x said:
wife hurt my one feeling the other morning at breakfast when she called me a syrup sopping SOB, then I figured out she was just calling me Sweet Thang.

HAHA, I spilt my beverage over that one bro. I can see your dear wife saying just that, but not for the reason you mentioned. :D

Now as for the calving season debate...if yall will notice, the folks advocating a 12 month calving season are in warm climates.
Those of us that deal with more than "east texas" winters like to split up the calvings. It's all goes back to the regional thing. If it works in texas doesn't mean that it works for the rest of the world.

The bottom line is the bottom line. Do what is easiest and makes yall the most money.

lets thump this dead horse some more why don't we.
gr_chug.gif

i'll take a live calf any day of the year, although i'd prefer it not be in june, july, or august.

What about calf uniformity? mineral programs, preg checking records, culling and marketing?

depending on the size of the ranch, uniformity may or may not be an issue. calves born the same month are more or less the same weight, and just because you have year round calving doesnt mean you dont have a large number or calves born at the same time and ready to go at the same time. its not like your having one calf every 3 weeks...i bet most of the year round calvers have larger herds and can easily get a group of 25+ uniform calves to sell at any given time and probably more than that.

minerals should be available at all times. no problems there.

pregnancy checking, if you have calving records and you check on your cows much you can tell who the bulls following.. if shes late send her packing with her baby. a good palpater or ultrasounder combined with records will let you know whos not paying for dinner.

Culling- lol, we still cull.

marketing- probably done thru the salebarns mostly.

Beef11":73s1bfgq said:
What about calf uniformity? mineral programs, preg checking records, culling and marketing?

Wheeeew, this one's getting good.

Beef11, if you sell at a cattle barn, no one is gonna say, "I'm not buying that calf, he's not the same size as the previous 10".

Mineral programs, come on? Your reaching.

Preg check records and culling. My guess is that caustic knows his cows better than white on rice. If you are a "fulltimer" there's no reason why you can't know the status of each cow each day.

I think some people are not giving caustic fair due. The guy obviously knows his stuff. I haven't seen him get touchy but when people are posting saying that if you calve year yound your stupid, or bring in a guy's wife to the discussion.

It amazes me to see that most of the posts here are closed minded. One of the things that the Master Cattleman class has taught me is that there are differing ways of doing things, and I have to pick what's best for me. In our class, we have doctors, jewelry store owners, and full timers. No one there is critisizing other people's views. And the lecturers are both industry leading experts (from LSU) and plain 'ol cattlemen who know what their doing.

Beefy":1884ja0w said:
that could get dangerous.

Almost as dangerous as some of these hobby farmers. I'm one, but I wouldn't even think about critisizing someone else that's a proven fulltimer. For being smart, not sure what some are thinking.

i havent read this entire thread. i'm not going to. I read the part that got the discussion going. While i feel that Jeanne was offbase with her assumptions, she admitted that she could have been more tactful. Where she is located there is a need for a close calving season. Where Caustic is located he can get away without one. I more or less have a year round calving season although i try to avoid calving in the summer. However, I'm also managing 3 separate herds together (mine, my dads, and my sisters). So to assume that i dont vaccinate, dont cull, am not organized, am a poor manager, etc is preposterous. We do all the necessary things that other managers do, so what if we dont do them all at the same time. you could argue that year round calving makes one have to be a better manager. nutritional demands are spread out rather than concentrated so the cows can better manage their own nutrition like they were supposed to do. we have marketing flexibility when the market fluctuates. plus calving season is my favorite time of the year! like has been said over and over and over again, do what works for you.

Caustic Burno":162sfzlh said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":162sfzlh said:
Beef11":162sfzlh said:
Wow! I thought 60 days was stretching things out maybe 65 would be nice could get 4 cycles that way. If you can't get her to catch on 3-4 heats what is she a brood cow for? Maybe she is destined for mcdonalds. Get fertile cattle have a solid herd health plan backed by nutrition and make a go of it. A 15 month calving interval is terrible.
I may be way off base, but I think producers that calf year round, selling a few here & there year round, cannot have any type of health program. How could you? It would be a night mare. And, they have no idea if they have fertile cows. Maybe "molly" takes 120 days to come back into heat, and "sally" gets bred back in 60 days. Who knows? You gotta figure they don't "process" the calves when they are born. Can you imagine worrying about who, what, where, when year round??
But, what seems like a nightmare to me, might be a money maker for you. You probably figure my system would be a nightmare. Different for everyone.

Well I calf year round and I will put mine up against your crap any day. Maybe you just don't know what your doing.

Bet they name streets after you huh. One Way ,just because you don't know how to manage but one way appears to me you are the stupid one .

Things have been awful busy while I was gone! To jump back on the horse here. If you notice above Caustic is the one that started with calling of names! He did what he does best insult the individual instead of provide information to support his opinion!

Now me what I posted at first was that it is widely accepted that shorter calving periods would MAXAMIZE your profits. Yes not all things work for all people, some need cattle to handle the heat, some the cold. Some have different types of pasture available, some have different water sources available. These are things that for the most part are controlled by your area and environment (mother nature).

Short calving periods fall under Ranch Management, and no matter what area you live in hot or cold, better and more efficient management, that results in less labor, better nutritional control, more uniform calves, will MAXAMIZE your profits. These things are not controlled by Mother nature they are controlled by the Rancher.

It does not take a College degree to see that better management would benefit any ranch, anywhere. Do you have to do these things to make money? NO! But to say someone is "Stupid" because they say it sounds like a nightmare to calve 12 months out of the year, is just being a jerk! And that is what Caustic did!

As far as me bringing Caustic lack of funds to take his wife to Branson as she wishes to do some day. Caustic has a problem with me because I have a problem with Illegal Immigrants coming over the Borders of Mexico to the U.S. and taking American Jobs. Caustic believes that they should have the right to come here as they please.

Caustic Wrote on illegal immigrant thread: You have the milk and honey and don't want to share seem a little spoiled.

Since then he has personally insulted the fact that I am a Janitor calling me the commode Cowboy, I have no problem with that actually I might change my name to that. But if he can continuously insult me directly because I do not believe in open borders, and insult my profession which he has NO idea my degree of success then he should not be so thin skinned to me bringing up his own post that he ain't going to spend no money to take his wife to Branson!

Now as far as norriscathy wanting to know how much money I made off of cattle last year on my Schedule F. I do not file a Schedule F, I made no money and lost no money. Every Cow I buy (which is usually show heifers) is for my kids they keep them they keep the money. I do not use cattle as a tax break, I raise cows to raise show animals for my kids. And if there is any income from them they can have the money for college, or a home when they get married etc. But it does seem a little arrogant of you to ask!

And for the other one wanting to measure things against me, Caustic you might have more net worth than me, and maybe you don't, but it is pretty arrogant to assume that because I am a Janitor, and you are the great Guru Cattle man that you have more than me or that you are better than me due to the fact that I clean Toilets and you raise cows for a living. Based on your apparent insecurities of just making such a claim, shows me I would most likely win that bet! And based on the general knowledge of how hard it can be to make a living raising cattle, and if you knew anything about the income potential of a person that owns a Janitorial Business you would know the odds in Vegas just shifted heavily in my favor!

I tell you what as a peace offering if you can rake up the money to bring the wife to Branson this summer, I will buy both of you tickets to go see the Dixie Stampede, it is a heck of a show and I am sure the wife would enjoy it!

aplusmnt":5q114vz1 said:
Caustic Burno":5q114vz1 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":5q114vz1 said:
Beef11":5q114vz1 said:
Wow! I thought 60 days was stretching things out maybe 65 would be nice could get 4 cycles that way. If you can't get her to catch on 3-4 heats what is she a brood cow for? Maybe she is destined for mcdonalds. Get fertile cattle have a solid herd health plan backed by nutrition and make a go of it. A 15 month calving interval is terrible.
I may be way off base, but I think producers that calf year round, selling a few here & there year round, cannot have any type of health program. How could you? It would be a night mare. And, they have no idea if they have fertile cows. Maybe "molly" takes 120 days to come back into heat, and "sally" gets bred back in 60 days. Who knows? You gotta figure they don't "process" the calves when they are born. Can you imagine worrying about who, what, where, when year round??
But, what seems like a nightmare to me, might be a money maker for you. You probably figure my system would be a nightmare. Different for everyone.

Well I calf year round and I will put mine up against your crap any day. Maybe you just don't know what your doing.

Bet they name streets after you huh. One Way ,just because you don't know how to manage but one way appears to me you are the stupid one .

Things have been awful busy while I was gone! To jump back on the horse here. If you notice above Caustic is the one that started with calling of names! He did what he does best insult the individual instead of provide information to support his opinion!

Now me what I posted at first was that it is widely accepted that shorter calving periods would MAXAMIZE your profits. Yes not all things work for all people, some need cattle to handle the heat, some the cold. Some have different types of pasture available, some have different water sources available. These are things that for the most part are controlled by your area and environment (mother nature).

Short calving periods fall under Ranch Management, and no matter what area you live in hot or cold, better and more efficient management, that results in less labor, better nutritional control, more uniform calves, will MAXAMIZE your profits. These things are not controlled by Mother nature they are controlled by the Rancher.

It does not take a College degree to see that better management would benefit any ranch, anywhere. Do you have to do these things to make money? NO! But to say someone is "Stupid" because they say it sounds like a nightmare to calve 12 months out of the year, is just being a jerk! And that is what Caustic did!

As far as me bringing Caustic lack of funds to take his wife to Branson as she wishes to do some day. Caustic has a problem with me because I have a problem with Illegal Immigrants coming over the Borders of Mexico to the U.S. and taking American Jobs. Caustic believes that they should have the right to come here as they please.

Caustic Wrote on illegal immigrant thread: You have the milk and honey and don't want to share seem a little spoiled.

Since then he has personally insulted the fact that I am a Janitor calling me the commode Cowboy, I have no problem with that actually I might change my name to that. But if he can continuously insult me directly because I do not believe in open borders, and insult my profession which he has NO idea my degree of success then he should not be so thin skinned to me bringing up his own post that he ain't going to spend no money to take his wife to Branson!

Now as far as norriscathy wanting to know how much money I made off of cattle last year on my Schedule F. I do not file a Schedule F, I made no money and lost no money. Every Cow I buy (which is usually show heifers) is for my kids they keep them they keep the money. I do not use cattle as a tax break, I raise cows to raise show animals for my kids. And if there is any income from them they can have the money for college, or a home when they get married etc. But it does seem a little arrogant of you to ask!

And for the other one wanting to measure things against me, Caustic you might have more net worth than me, and maybe you don't, but it is pretty arrogant to assume that because I am a Janitor, and you are the great Guru Cattle man that you have more than me or that you are better than me due to the fact that I clean Toilets and you raise cows for a living. Based on your apparent insecurities of just making such a claim, shows me I would most likely win that bet! And based on the general knowledge of how hard it can be to make a living raising cattle, and if you knew anything about the income potential of a person that owns a Janitorial Business you would know the odds in Vegas just shifted heavily in my favor!

I tell you what as a peace offering if you can rake up the money to bring the wife to Branson this summer, I will buy both of you tickets to go see the Dixie Stampede, it is a heck of a show and I am sure the wife would enjoy it!

Just glad to see you're such an expert on cattle, your two cow herd must be truly outstanding.

aplusmnt":2a1tf0rz said:
Caustic Burno":2a1tf0rz said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2a1tf0rz said:
Beef11":2a1tf0rz said:

You see I also run a lot of stock in a pasture on Wall Street. 30% return on investment last year. I also calf year a round in my North East pasture.

And I have a problem with your one cow wonder operation and attitude. Not owning one cow as everyone has to start somewhere. You want to talk like your Shaghi Pierce and you aint. I don't care if you own one or 10 and want to participate, but quit peeing on peoples legs and telling them its raining.

Caustic....glad to see you are so wealthy! Guess taking the wife to Branson is not a financial matter then, just you being you huh?

Norriscathy......How did you know I had a Two cow herd? Do you have ESPN or something? And yes the are pretty outstanding! And also thanks for acknowledging me being such an expert, but I do owe it all to my Ag instructors in High School, and College, I would just like to acknowledge them and give thanks at this time! O yea would also like to thank Bill Bridges, Manager of Golden West Limousin Ranch, and it Parent company Golden View Limousin Ranch for allowing me to scoop all that poop those years, learning proper cow management! With out all this positive influence in my life I might have turned out cleaning toilets for a living :)

Norris and Caustic, maybe you two should get together and give each other a hug, I think you guys both need it!

You see I also run a lot of stock in a pasture on Wall Street. 30% return on investment last year. I also calf year a round in my North East pasture.

Dang Caustic! Not only are you a Master Cattleman, but also a Master investor! Is there anything you do not do great? 30% that is like what double the market average? Forget the cattle talk please share your Stock market secrets!!!!!!!! Maybe you could start a Board for investments!

Ps. There is not one fact I posted about the potential of maximizing your profits and minimizing your labor through a shorter calving periods that is not backed by every Agriculture University in the U.S. And most likely by every major Big Cattle producer in the U.S. But if Caustic says we are stupid then we must all be stupid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts