Marbling - Too much of a good thing?

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter
To get most european breeds to have the same back fat as a english breed you have to feed it much longer. ie. why people find beef from say a Angus more tender. The steer from a Angus or other early maturing breed will reach that layer of back fat faster resulting in a younger animal being killed and therefore a more tender steak and less money in feed spent on the steer. Part of the reason that the Angus has the marbleing it does is just that. It matures faster then alot of other breeds. Is it not true that marbling real startes to take off after a steer reaches puberty?

BRG":17ut4bpp said:
MT, and yes they are registered. Their bull sale averages $3000+ Their customers really like them because they get a little kick of heterosis from this but yet keeps them Angus.

According to 5L's website (link below) they're a Red Angus operation, not an Angus operation. The website says they have a "few" registered Angus. In their sales they call the black-red carrier bulls "Profit Plus bulls" not Angus. He's apparently using Angus genetics on his Red Angus cowherd. I wonder why? :)

http://www.5lredangus.com/About_Us.html

Frankie":aqat1nh8 said:
BRG":aqat1nh8 said:
MT, and yes they are registered. Their bull sale averages $3000+ Their customers really like them because they get a little kick of heterosis from this but yet keeps them Angus.

According to 5L's website (link below) they're a Red Angus operation, not an Angus operation. The website says they have a "few" registered Angus. In their sales they call the black-red carrier bulls "Profit Plus bulls" not Angus. He's apparently using Angus genetics on his Red Angus cowherd. I wonder why? :)

http://www.5lredangus.com/About_Us.html
She just won't let it alone will she BRG or la4. ;-)
Miss Frankie it's over. We have read enough of it for now.

Breeds of cattle are like nationalities of people.

They have simular traits, but the are very divers.

You could find practical twins of different breeds &
find polar opposites within the same breed.

I'm not an Angus breeder but I'm glad they are around.
"some" Angus breeders try harder because they have a lot
of competition.

There are better breeds, but a well designed cross is better still.

There is a differance in taist, texture, tenderness in steaks.
Go to Outback & Steak&Ale, they use two different types
of beef.

There is more of differance in types of cattle than breeds of cattle. [British, Continental, etc...]

I like a 66-75% British / 25-33% continental.
My purebred Char. neighbor apparently agrees, he buys his freezer beef from me....

He says his cattle are worth too much to stick in the freezer...
I just smile and put the money in my pocket.

Hillbilly

i have said this before and i now raise the ante!

i will grill 4 steaks! from 4 pre chosen breeds, angus, hereford, char (u pickem)
i will put $2500 against your $100 on the table next to the plate!!!
all you have to do is tell me which steak is the angus! which is the hereford etc!!!!!! by taste alone!!!!
takers??????????
the only thing angus has is some darn good publicity!!!!!!!!
don't make em any better than any other breed!!!!
dont get me wrong i have a few of em my self ! :D :D

i will also toss another $100 in the pot that says 90% of the consumer has no idea what an angus is!!!!!only an conception that if it says angus it must be good!!!! adveritzing again!!!!!
wonder which side of the fence we would be setting on had another breed had the forsight that angus did :D :D :D :D
media media media, and face it how many of us really trust the media :) opppppps i said that :eek: :eek: :eek:

"Charolais Steer Wins Agribition Carcass Competition
A white 3/4 Charolais X steer from Doug Norris of Oyen, AB won this years Canadian Western Agribition steer competion. The steer cut 63.4 % and was the only one to grade Prime from the 22 head field."

Just my 2 cents. Or 2 sense. Or 2 since.

memanpa":1r30894l said:
i will grill 4 steaks! from 4 pre chosen breeds, angus, hereford, char (u pickem)
i will put $2500 against your $100 on the table next to the plate!!!
all you have to do is tell me which steak is the angus! which is the hereford etc!!!!!! by taste alone!!!!
takers??????????
the only thing angus has is some darn good publicity!!!!!!!!
don't make em any better than any other breed!!!!
dont get me wrong i have a few of em my self ! :D :D
I will tell you which is Angus or Hereford against the Charolais. Angus and Hereford has to much of the same texture and taste to tell the difference. Char. texture is entirely different. Bring your money and we'll buy the steaks.

MikeC":fyy2u20p said:
A white 3/4 Charolais X steer from Doug Norris of Oyen, AB won this years Canadian Western Agribition steer competion. The steer cut 63.4 % and was the only one to grade Prime from the 22 head field."

If they can do this consitantly you might have a point. But they don't. And if it was a 3/4 blood it is a cross bred steer not a charolais.

Scotty

Scotty":d2knz6vo said:
MikeC":d2knz6vo said:

If they can do this consitantly you might have a point. But they don't. And if it was a 3/4 blood it is a cross bred steer not a charolais.

Scotty
Thanks Scotty. Just stay on your toes. I hadn't noticed that.

Scotty":a4edewqv said:
MikeC":a4edewqv said:

Scotty

OK Scotty, I'll be as "Childish" as you are.

Angus cannot consistently produce a "Prime" carcass either.

So what did you prove here "Dipstick" ?

So what breed is a 3/4 Charolais if it isn't charolais? DUH!!!!!

If they can do this consitantly you might have a point.

My point was that a 3/4 char steer won the agribition carcass contest. Simple as that. Take it or leave it.

I'll leave it. nothing done any more childish than some of the stuff you have. but thats ok. If it is 3/4 blood is 3/4 blood. A cross calve is a cross calve. What was childdish about that. This debate will go on forever I guesse. You lose thought.
Why? I'll be childish and say because I said so.

Scotty

MikeC":3376n5fp said:

Who was the sire?

SRR, Wont argue the point of having to feed some Euopean breeds longer, I will grant you that ,but I think you will have to agree that Angus is going to produce more yeild grade 3's and 4's... Their are crossbred cattle out there that will hit the target, yeild grade 1's and 2's and grade choice. Those feeders will make you money in any market.

houstoncutter":2ugdn3t7 said:
SRR, Wont argue the point of having to feed some Euopean breeds longer, I will grant you that ,but I think you will have to agree that Angus is going to produce more yeild grade 3's and 4's... Their are crossbred cattle out there that will hit the target, yeild grade 1's and 2's and grade choice. Those feeders will make you money in any market.
Agree.

Doesn't the Red Angus assn. allow the introduction of black genetics? I got the impression that you can cross a Red and a black and register the offspring as Red. They will be black but carry the red gene.

Mossy Dell":3r6hac8d said:
Doesn't the Red Angus assn. allow the introduction of black genetics? I got the impression that you can cross a Red and a black and register the offspring as Red. They will be black but carry the red gene.
Correct, but they are registered as Category 3, 100 angus with disqualifying characteristic,i.e. black

Black and Good":3rkvrlcn said:
What color was this calf! LOL :cowboy:
B&G
I'll say it was a Gray Brahman with real long ears.
No I change by the shape and color of the fat maybe a Holstein.

Latest posts