Man I'm getting tired of rain.

Help Support CattleToday:

Just_a_girl":3f7z56nq said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051229/ap_on_re_us/grass_fires

Read the news about fires due to the lack of rain, and you'll be glad you got it. Careless people add to the problem.

One of the problems with excessive rain if it's followed by dry, even normally dry conditions, leads to more severe fire danger later on. Gets really nasty when you get idiots that get a thrill out of starting fires just to watch them burn. Of course the idiots that don;t know what they're doing and try to burn a pasture or brushpile without takign any sensible precautions may be a worse problem.

dun

You guys around the fires, take care. Here in Oregon during the fire season, seems like lately someone is starting a forest fire just to get a job fighting them. A couple years back had a park ranger that started a couple of fires herself and reported them, just to be a hero...she lost the hero end and her job plus the legal action.

Today suppose to be our first dry day in a while, but still to muddy to do anything and many creeks and rivers at flood stage.

Happy to trade some of our NW rain for a little of that Texas weather.

Alan

Bright and sunny today, supposed to start raining again tomorrow. So, I'll be outside working on my barn and hopefully clean up a little before it gets rainy again.

I know by July I'll be wishing for rain. Two years ago we were at my son's wedding in Detroit, came home at night and it smelled like smoke. We've had some pretty big wheat field fires since it's all high rolling hills with wheat stubble. The fire started 5 miles away and burned 5000 acres of stubble, only crop lost was 100 acres of barley at the neighbors. The neighbor got the fire stopped 100 yards from our barn. It was close all the trees lost their leaves and my barn which was stacked full of hay had an inch of ash all over the inside.

Bobg

Thank you Alan, and you do the same.

Makes you wonder about people....

We had a big fire in our area Tuesday, but it was on the opposite side of the highway from us. Folks in the surrounding area that were gone to work didn't even know about it. I'll have to wait for the small town paper to come to see what actually happened.

But hey, feel free to send all the rain you want.

Bobg":9eu5nhxf said:
Bright and sunny today, supposed to start raining again tomorrow. So, I'll be outside working on my barn and hopefully clean up a little before it gets rainy again.

I know by July I'll be wishing for rain. Two years ago we were at my son's wedding in Detroit, came home at night and it smelled like smoke. We've had some pretty big wheat field fires since it's all high rolling hills with wheat stubble. The fire started 5 miles away and burned 5000 acres of stubble, only crop lost was 100 acres of barley at the neighbors. The neighbor got the fire stopped 100 yards from our barn. It was close all the trees lost their leaves and my barn which was stacked full of hay had an inch of ash all over the inside.

Bobg

That is scary.....glad to hear your neighbor was there.

I have helped with a few field fires that got out of control. I'm afriad of fire, but I tend to forget about that when I'm needed. Most fires around here are started by some careless yahoo.
I work from home and it's easy to babysit the surrounding area, and I know they would do the same for us.

It's about 70 today....it's wild.

have a nice day. hope you get less rain and a little more sunshine. ;-)

Most of my grandparents pasture and all their hay burned up on monday. We traced the fire's path back to a trash pit on the place behind them. It came within 40 ft of the house, my grandma was out there with a hose until the fire trucks showed up.

We're tired of the rain in Idaho as well. The rain over the past week has just been sitting on top of the frozen ground. There are lakes everywhere, but nothing was soaking in until 50degree weather yesterday. Another big rain/or snow storm due tomorrow. Wouldn't be as bad if everything would just soak into the ground or freeze solid.

I feel for you in the south and Texas. Shouldn't complain about the moisture I guess.

I will play the role of forcaster for you eastside people. Generally what I got today you will get tomorrow. It was nice yesterday and today although it rained hard last night. It is still unseasonably warm. I drove around today with my window rolled down. There is supposed to be another big one rolling in tonight so more rain is in the forcast.
Dave

I heard a story today about an eldrly lady that was in Cross Plains. She was in her front yard trying to flee. Her hip broke and she was burned to death. My inlaws went to look at the damage. They said it would resemble tornado damage if everything weren't blk.

Scotty

dun":1z6i623b said:
Be careful of what you wish for. Last year we had a horrible January and February , rain and mud like I had never seen. That was the end of it till August.
Drought is far worse then rain as far as I'm concerned

dun

Thats right Dun I was having calves in that muck. Had one cow have her calf a little early in the tractor ruts full of water. Managed to save the calf. Hope that you guys that need rain get it soon, and I hope we dont have another wet muddy Feb.
Normal percip would be ok with me. JHH

Caustic Burno":1cckhqkt said:
If you look up the Palmer Drought index for the short and long term will make you want to throw up.

I did....

Our area shows "drought to persist or intensify."

lots of dozer work being done around here since ponds are dry.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":24zljc10 said:
You could send us some of that wet stuff....we are indeed in need! :(

Ditto for S.W. Arkansas. I watched the cows coming up to the North end of the pasture where I was putting out hay and it looked like a old cattle drive. Just walking the cows were stirring up a small dust cloud behind them. Hope we get some rain before the spring.
;-)

TLCfromARK":2hfmlowb said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2hfmlowb said:

Ditto for S.W. Arkansas. I watched the cows coming up to the North end of the pasture where I was putting out hay and it looked like a old cattle drive. Just walking the cows were stirring up a small dust cloud behind them. Hope we get some rain before the spring.
;-)

Check out the NOAA website under the Drought menu. "No relief through the end of March"!

norriscathy":26pti56w said:
TLCfromARK":26pti56w said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":26pti56w said:

;-)

Check out the NOAA website under the Drought menu. "No relief through the end of March"!

I looked at the link that Caustic & Mr. Gravlee refered to, it does look bad but it doesn't cost anything to hope.

;-)

Latest posts