Made in America

Help Support CattleToday:

ccr

ranch hand
Reaction score
Somewhat surprising to read China produces 95% of US consumed antibioitics, which is hard to believe, but maybe so knowing just about everything we buy here in the US is made in China.

What percentage of products consumed in the US are made here and what's the importance of it? Don't know what the percentage of American made products is, but I believe it is important for products to be made in America because people working here and paying income and social security taxes, and an independence or non-reliance of other countries by making or producing products here for the American consumer.

How important is it to this country for products for US consumption to be made in America?

ccr said:
Somewhat surprising to read China produces 95% of US consumed antibioitics, which is hard to believe, but maybe so knowing just about everything we buy here in the US is made in China.

What percentage of products consumed in the US are made here and what's the importance of it? Don't know what the percentage of American made products is, but I believe it is important for products to be made in America because people working here and paying income and social security taxes, and an independence or non-reliance of other countries by making or producing products here for the American consumer.

How important is it to this country for products for US consumption to be made in America?

Manufacturing started getting farmed out in the seventies due to regulations and taxes. Both are passed to the consumer until a company can no longer compete and moves offshore. One of the last bastions we have is energy and one part of our government is trying to do away with it. We have over 300 years worth of coal alone left.

Regulations, who needs that? A seven story hotel in China being used to house quarantined people infected with coronavirus collapsed yesterday. It just fell down with a bunch of people inside it. The hotel was two years old.

That China junk has made several Waltons billionaires. They could have bought USA to resale, but would only be millionaires.

Here's are 2 interesting links:
https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/statistics/highlights/top/top1912yr.html
https://www.thebalance.com/u-s-imports-and-exports-components-and-statistics-3306270

I would add, most of what we export is a raw product. The value added steps happen somewhere else. Compounds the problem. We sell wholesale in bulk, and buy retail the finished good. Just think about hides alone. They leave as a hide, and come back as shoes. All the labor done by children, with no osha or epa.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
jltrent said:
That China junk has made several Waltons billionaires. They could have bought USA to resale, but would only be millionaires.

People have an insatiable appetite for cheap products, don't fault the man who feeds that demand.

You must not be a Bernie fan.

jltrent said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
jltrent said:

People have an insatiable appetite for cheap products, don't fault the man who feeds that demand.

You must not be a Bernie fan.
Don't get him started..... :lol:

Mostly, consumers do not have the option of made in America or made in China. The choice has been made for you and it's made in China.

ga.prime said:
Regulations, who needs that? A seven story hotel in China being used to house quarantined people infected with coronavirus collapsed yesterday. It just fell down with a bunch of people inside it. The hotel was two years old.

Whole lot of difference in China and Green New Deal regulations. They are of the same party though just a different approach.

China can and do make high quality stuff, it is just that they will make anything that there is a demand for and there is a demand for cheap copies of well known products, they make them at the lowest cost possible so the rest of the world buys them. They must have a team of people constantly weighing and measuring to see where they can cut material costs. An example the thickness of the pins on the plugs of power tools, nuts 3/4 the thickness on chainsaws.

Ken

Hey look, I got a tool made in the USA. I needed a long punch to knock the wheel bearing races out of a Case uniloader hub assembly and all I could find in the stores around here was six inches so I ordered this one from Amazon. It's 11 inches. Paperwork says made by Klein Tools, Chicago, Ill. Klein USA is stamped on the handle of the punch.

DSC02556.jpg

ga.prime said:
I thought bamboo was stronger then that..

Provably so, AL but they went below that standard. Probably made out of rice paper, life expectancy 2 years maybe.

Bigfoot said:
I would add, most of what we export is a raw product. The value added steps happen somewhere else. Compounds the problem. We sell wholesale in bulk, and buy retail the finished good. Just think about hides alone. They leave as a hide, and come back as shoes. All the labor done by children, with no osha or epa.

Bigfoot this is the same thing that Thomas Jefferson and William Manning were saying about the British in the late 1700's.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/1236461268594294785

Seriously? This is the front runner for the Dems?

Do you really believe he won anything fair and square?