lump on neck after vaccinations

Help Support CattleToday:

Bama":1z2om7h8 said:
Somehow I think calfs can run faster now than they did 30 years ago.
They definitely can run faster than they did 30 yrs ago, and much faster over 40 yrs ago. Actually no comparison to 40 yrs ago.

I'm telling ya zippers are next. It will probally be another 30 years after that before the hit the ground as steers. By that time they will have to walk up to me. ;-) The only thing for sure that far in advance is the ford and chevy people will still be debating which is better.

A6gal":3rx7rfok said:
You guys make it sound so easy. I've printed all three of the previous posts. Now all I need is to build up some nerve.

Nope - it has to be done sooner or later - have a go at it.

Bez, I like your idea of having the vet give a lesson or two first. I think it cost about $60 just for the trip out here though. I guess it'd be worth it.

Money well spent. Find a good one and keep him/her. We have been with this same person for some time - like a marriage - until death do us part.

One thing I can guarantee is I won't be eating any!

Chicken!!!!!! 8) :lol:

Funny how this thread went from lumps on the neck to hanging lumps :roll:

Had a experienced cattleman in to castrate our bulls a while back. Very efficient feller with a sharp knife. One thing I noted that seemed particurarly helpful while doing the job in the squeeze was to grab the tail near the tail head and force it up and forward. This practically froze the calves in the head gate. Easier to hit a still target but remember to wash hands good :frowns:

Jay

Thanks guys for the additional information. I watched the guys my boss hired to help work his cows this year do the cutting. It's a wonder what a sharp pocket knife can do...

I've plenty of experience cutting hogs but we always banded the calves. I think that's my preference still. Course some of the neighbors always cut the calves and saved the nuts for what they called "Mountain Oysters". Not my favorite dish either... they were pretty good until I found out what they were... never tell a 6 year old what he's eating voluntarily... it can leave a lasting impression.

Anyway to bring it back around to the lump on the neck... Had to leave work early yesterday for one of the kids dental appointments which got cancelled so instead of driving the 35 miles back to the office I hooked up to the trailer and took the heifer in question to the vet.

Turns out the swelling is just a hard swelling not an abcess. He gave her a shot of antihistamine and another of X. Told me to watch her for the next week and if the knot doesn't show signs of reduction that we can cut across the top of the swelling and peel it out.

And yes, as I read on another post questioning the time that someone was up and writing. I hit the sack right after doing chores, was up at 1:30am and in the office by 2:50am and doing all that work that I missed out on yesterday pm.... Will still have to leave around 6:30 am to go back for am chores and make sure eveyone is up at the house.... 1st day of school for my kids....

BEZ - we also cut using a scapple (sp?) - holding tail up with pressure - in the chute - BUT - after cutting the bottom of the scrotal sack, Ken takes each testicle & slices ever so lightly down the length of it just cutting the outside layer, than pulls the testicle out of that sheath & pulls - also cutting anything "hanging" outside the sack.
I always wondered if you could just grab each testicle & "PULL". Hmmm Sure sounds LOTS easier!!
Anyway, we eat them if they are big enough - prior to weaning age. Ones at birth or few months old are too little to mess with - we think anyway.
Crimping used to be the major method of having a "stag". Very difficult to "know" for sure that you got both cords crimped enough.

Bez'":2gcov0sa said:
A6gal":2gcov0sa said:
Now all I need is to build up some nerve.

I will have a go at it when it gets a little cooler and that's just around the corner!

I had a difficult time getting the nerve to give an IM injection, but it had to be done and after the first couple of times I felt like an old pro. Maybe it'll be the same with the cuttin'.

I have heard that holding the tail straight up will paralyze their back legs where they can't kick making the process easier.

Hey Ya'll, Im new to this board but thought I'd drop my 2 cents worth in on this one. I went to a vac. seminar given by a the vet for Fort Dodge pharm. on the placement for all vacs given. They should be in a very small area on the neck, if you make a triangle with your thumbs and forefingers that will show the size of the area. If this shot was given incorrectly it could have left the knot by hitting a nerve. I am not saying it was given wrong just a thought. If the cow is not having any problems, then I would not worry so about it. I understrand you wanting to learn from any mistakes you make and in this line of business I can gurantee you that you will make some but if you are willing to learn from them then you are ahead of the ball game. I have seen people make the same ones over and over and never learn. Needless to say they don't last in this line work.

A6gal":3hlgvpat said:
Bez'":3hlgvpat said:
A6gal":3hlgvpat said:
Now all I need is to build up some nerve.

I will have a go at it when it gets a little cooler and that's just around the corner!

I had a difficult time getting the nerve to give an IM injection, but it had to be done and after the first couple of times I felt like an old pro. Maybe it'll be the same with the cuttin'.

I have heard that holding the tail straight up will paralyze their back legs where they can't kick making the process easier.

Guess you missed my comment. They may hunch up a bit - but to date I have never been kicked. I do nothing - just get down and in there and get it done.

Bez'

Some buyers will pay more for a calf with a golf ball size lump on the neck for three reasons.
1) They have been vaccinated for black leg.
2) They were vaccinated in accordance with BQA guidelines.
3) The lump comes off with the hide.
The lump is a sign of good management.

Latest posts