lump on neck after vaccinations

Help Support CattleToday:

lillybull

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the lump on the side of one of my heifers neck is. I recently gave vaccinations to my angus heifers (first time for me to do it). I obviously did something wrong. Several of the heifers got lumps where they were injected, but they went away fairly quick...except on one of them. It is about the size of a golf ball and has been like that now for about 6 weeks. Anybody know anything regarding this?

Nothing done wrong. Some vacines such as black leg will leave a lump. Usually goes away but I have seen some last beyond my ownership. They do have some vacines that are made now not to leave a lump. Don't worry too much unless it really swells. Also besure you are under the skin good.

Scotty

It depends on what you ysed and what type of shot they were. If they were IM they shouldnt be golf ball size But some SQ shots stay a lump as they leach into the system. What vaccinations and what route did you use?

Find something more important to worry about. Like when it's gonna rain, or when the market's gonna break, or almost anything else. A knot from a blackleg vaccination isn't worth it. It's not a problem.

Oh.....I guess I could lay around here and worry about when it will rain, or when the "market will break", 2 things which ofcourse nobody on this board has any control of.......Or perhaps I can spend a little time and energy trying to understand my mistakes so they dont get repeated. Sounds like a real NO BRAINER to me.

Lilly, I've used a milky, white, blackleg vaccine before in a pinch. I think it was Alpha-7. It left knots on most all of them.
I didn't do nothing wrong, other than use this product. I like
Ultra-bac-7 . No knots. My cattle usually have enough blemishes. 8) But the boys I sit with will give a little more for a set of calves with the proof on they're neck. It increases the chances that the owner may have also given them they're IBR
shots. Which is the single most important vaccination, a rancher can give a calf, as far as the new owner is concerned.
Like the Texan said the knot ain't really a problem, most likely you are the only one that will ever give it a second look.

I have to side with lillybull on this deal. I have a few other things I can worry about, but when a calf has this kind of swelling, I am thinking it needs to be tended to. I have two heifers with knots on the side of their necks after the vaccinations. If black leg is in the vaccine, what is the reaction going on inside the knot? Is it just lymph fluid or is it infected? Has anyone ever lanced one of these knots before?

We get them on occasion after vacination time, as several have said, most knots will go away in a short period of time, but, there is an easy way to tell if it's vaccine reaction or abcess. That is if you can catch the cow or calf, simply use a large bore needle, or thin lance and punture the swelling, if puss comes out then treat it of course, if nothing comes out, then likely it is just necrotic tissue from the vacine site, and nothing more can be done except to wait it out, it may go away in time, it may not.
If abcessed, you can do one of several things, drain and flush, and give some antibiotc such as penicillen, or simply push some penicillen into the abcess and see if it helps. :cboy:

lillybull":3cv489ux said:
.......Or perhaps I can spend a little time and energy trying to understand my mistakes so they dont get repeated. Sounds like a real NO BRAINER to me.
Injection site swelling from blackleg vaccines do not represent a "mistake" on your part!

Don't know how to make it any plainer than that. Many of the vaccine labels even warn you of potential swelling. If it continues to be a big problem for you, you might consider a different location next year. The loose skin behind the front leg in the "elbow pocket" is an acceptable BQA alternative. You might still get the knots---but at least you won't have to look at them.

If you don't like the answers you get here, I suggest you call your vet.

Texan":q0n12y83 said:

:lol: Hehe. Maybe even call the vet first. :roll:

Muratic":4qfbfsl4 said:
Texan":4qfbfsl4 said:

:lol: Hehe. Maybe even call the vet first. :roll:

Maybe the best reply on here for today. Go gettum Muratic.

lillybull, I noticed that you have only posted a few times, and don't feel reluctant to ask questions. If you want a straight answer from someone that knows, without entertaining the others, just address your question to "Dun." There are several here that answer the questions under the title of "beginner" and give you good answers. They answer to teach. He was the first one I saw here that caught my respect. I still wish he would always throw his two cents in. I saw the knots at first and it concerned me too. An answer of not worrying about it doesn't tell you much. Some of the answers to your question were answered correctly. Before, I wanted to know if it was infected or was there a bad reaction to a shot. To find out later when you lose an animal, then it is too late to ask questions. So your question was not out of line. For some reason, these vaccinations do leave knots. Here is another thread that was posted on giving a shot of LA 200. This title did get more informative answers.
http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12269&highlight=200

Thank you "chuckie" for atleast being sincere & caring. I care and that is why I asked my question. I appreciate people such as yourself.

As for the people who like to be sarcastic, or "very straight forward" with their response (texan).....maybe you should consider a different board... This is the "beginner board" unless I am mistaken....and I am definitly a beginner....looking for good advice from people who can still remember what it was like being in my shoes........did I make that clear? No offense.

lillybull":3u8l95za said:
Thank you "chuckie" for atleast being sincere & caring. I care and that is why I asked my question. I appreciate people such as yourself.

As for the people who like to be sarcastic, or "very straight forward" with their response (texan).....maybe you should consider a different board... This is the "beginner board" unless I am mistaken....and I am definitly a beginner....looking for good advice from people who can still remember what it was like being in my shoes........did I make that clear? No offense.
I too am new here and just purchased my first herd and bull. People like Texan and others on these forums have forgot more about cattle than I will EVER know. They are here to help and may not come across the way you might like but you won't get better advice anywhere from anyone. You will soon learn who knows whats what here and who knows JACK. Trust me Texan knows his crapola!

lillybull":3mg43r28 said:
(texan).....maybe you should consider a different board... This is the "beginner board" unless I am mistaken....and I am definitly a beginner....looking for good advice from people who can still remember what it was like being in my shoes........did I make that clear?
Yes, ma'am. You made that perfectly clear. I understand now. Nothing but beginners on the Beginner's Board. Maybe Macon can fix the software to block some of us out. Sorry.

Rest assured that you won't be bothered with me answering your questions again. Now I understand the error of my ways. I only wanted to convince you not to worry. I realize now that I really shouldn't have cared one way or another. I should have told you to haul the heifer to your vet for an MRI instead. I'll try to give better advice in the future. But not on the Beginner's Board, of course.

lillybull":17ga0dcf said:

That was about as dumb of statement as I have seen on this board.
Maybe all us old experienced cattlemen need to lay off this board and ya'll stay off the experieced board. That way you could all pitch in to buy a backhoe.
Mam I wouldn't help you now for all the tea in China.
You owe Texan an apology in my book.

Latest posts