Low mineral consumption

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
she just needs to workout more, like say running around a salebarn ring..

I wouldn't worry about it. Mine are eating less too, and I'm now feeding salt blocks with the minerals.

I'm a little skeptical of minerals. I never fed them for years, but when I started feeding them instead of salt I lost a good cow every year for two years to the staggers.

It's some kind of electrolyte imbalance that makes them lose control of their legs. The get down but hold their head up, alert, but they can't quite get on their feet and walk. I wonder if they were eating too much mineral. The vet tried a bolus on one of them but it didn't work.
gabby

gabby":3gzn9xe6 said:
I wouldn't worry about it. Mine are eating less too, and I'm now feeding salt blocks with the minerals.

I'm a little skeptical of minerals. I never fed them for years, but when I started feeding them instead of salt I lost a good cow every year for two years to the staggers.

It's some kind of electrolyte imbalance that makes them lose control of their legs. The get down but hold their head up, alert, but they can't quite get on their feet and walk. I wonder if they were eating too much mineral. The vet tried a bolus on one of them but it didn't work.
gabby
Don't know what caused the "staggers", but I'd recommend you check into it more. Possibly the wrong/poorly formulated mineral, or some time of mineral "tie-uo".
I wouldn't think that not feeding mineral is the solution, get some help to figure out what the staggers are (mag deficiency?), and what mineral to correct it.

rk":8q8qrllk said:
gabby":8q8qrllk said:

gabby
Don't know what caused the "staggers", but I'd recommend you check into it more. Possibly the wrong/poorly formulated mineral, or some time of mineral "tie-uo".
I wouldn't think that not feeding mineral is the solution, get some help to figure out what the staggers are (mag deficiency?), and what mineral to correct it.

I'm still feeding all purpose minerals but I'm also feeding trace mineral salt blocks to dilute the mineral intake. They eat minerals like candy if that's all they have access to, and I just think it's overkill, kind of like the people that gobble vitamin pills like there's no tomorrow. The body can only utilize so much.

My horses only get trace mineral salt blocks and they do fine and sometimes I wonder if that's all the cows really need too.
gabby

Never have seen mineral that's labeled "all purpose" that's worth much. Also, trace mineral salt blocks are just that...a trace.....mostly salt. Definitely need more than that.
Good minerals will have an average consumption of 2-4 ounces per head per day. Sometimes more, sometimes less but that's a rough average. If they continue to eat more than that, maybe look at another mineral.

gabby":18gzab6i said:
rk":18gzab6i said:
gabby":18gzab6i said:
deficiency?), and what mineral to correct it.

My horses only get trace mineral salt blocks and they do fine and sometimes I wonder if that's all the cows really need too.
gabby

First off there is no comparison to Horse nutritional demands VS. Brood Cows or Heifers.IMHO, Trace Mineral blocks are a joke, and I try to sway people from wasting money on them.

We stopped feedin blocks of any type years ago.

I would say an all purpose Mineral would probably contain about 90% salt and not enough essential ingredients, such as Calcium, Copper, Phosphorous etc, to do Diddly Squat.

It probably sits on display at TSC to cater to the weekend "CowPokes" lack of knowledge and goes for about 12 bucks...

Crowderfarms":1oee75wk said:
gabby":1oee75wk said:
rk":1oee75wk said:
gabby":1oee75wk said:

gabby

First off there is no comparison to Horse nutritional demands VS. Brood Cows or Heifers.IMHO, Trace Mineral blocks are a joke, and I try to sway people from wasting money on them.

I would say an all purpose Mineral would probably contain about 90% salt and not enough essential ingredients, such as Calcium, Copper, Phosphorous etc, to do Diddly Squat.

It probably sits on display at TSC to cater to the weekend "CowPokes" lack of knowledge and goes for about 12 bucks...
That's another way to say it!!

Crowderfarms":2comskma said:
gabby":2comskma said:
rk":2comskma said:
gabby":2comskma said:

gabby

Mr. Crowder,
3 years ago I switched from blocks to bag minerals and I lost two good cows to the staggers. Never had staggers before. Cause and effect? I don't know but I do know I never had staggers until I switched to bag minerals.

I'm paying about $7.50 per bag and it contains
26% salt
15% calcium
4% phosphorus
11% sodium
.5% magnesium
.5% potassium
50ppm iodine
10ppm selenium
750ppm zinc
12,000 IU/Lb Vit. A
wheat middlings, molasses, distillers grain, vitamin D3, etc.

And yes, I'm getting these minerals at Tractor Supply. I guess that makes me an idiot weekend cowpoke.

When the staggers hit I was getting another brand of mineral from a different source, so I switched sources.

Now I'm using equal amounts of bag minerals and trace mineral blocks. They don't eat the blocks like it was candy and I believe that's a good thing.
gabby

A well balanced mineral should be consumed pretty consistently year round, however, the formulation of that mix should vary throughout the year based on nuritional needs of the animals. Ultralyx minerals are manufactured in Kentucky are 'weatherproofed' and carry some distillers grains to keep animals consuming it regularly. Mostly marketed under the brand name "Triple Trust" in Kentucky. There are formulations for 25 loose minerals, 12 pressed blocks, and 6 tubs available under the Triple Trust brand to fit most operations. Loose minerals have availability of CTC, Rumensin, Bovatec, Altosid, Rabon, Tasco, Endo-Fighter to go along with varying levels of mag, copper, phosphorus, etc.

Trying a different mineral now. In 3 days they have consumed more of it than in 3 weeks with Purina. Time will tell if it is consistent.

gabby":19y8la6x said:
Crowderfarms":19y8la6x said:
rk":19y8la6x said:

gabby

Mr. Crowder,
3 years ago I switched from blocks to bag minerals and I lost two good cows to the staggers. Never had staggers before. Cause and effect? I don't know but I do know I never had staggers until I switched to bag minerals.

26% salt
15% calcium
4% phosphorus
11% sodium
.5% magnesium
.5% potassium
50ppm iodine
10ppm selenium
750ppm zinc
12,000 IU/Lb Vit. A

And yes, I'm getting these minerals at Tractor Supply. I guess that makes me an idiot weekend cowpoke.

When the staggers hit I was getting another brand of mineral from a different source, so I switched sources.

Now I'm using equal amounts of bag minerals and trace mineral blocks. They don't eat the blocks like it was candy and I believe that's a good thing.
gabby

Mrs. Gabby,

For the sake of argument, for about 4.00 more than what you are paying at TSC, you could actually be doing your stock a huge favor, and yourself.You are mainly buying a bag of diluted salt.

Some of the ingredients from a label of Sweetlix "Copperhead"

Calcium 20%
Phosphorous 6%
Salt 13%
Magnesium 2%
Potassium 1%

The rest of the ingredients are Vitamins, Cane Syrup,Soybean Hulls, etc, for palatibility.

I also did not call anyone an idiot for buying minerals at TSC, merely they cater to the weekend cowpoke.

As for the "Staggers", I would have consulted a Vet's opinion, and not blamed it on Mineral intake or brand.

Visit http://www.sweetlix.com for a full view of products, and ingredient labels.

Crowderfarms":1v21byqq said:
gabby":1v21byqq said:
Crowderfarms":1v21byqq said:
rk":1v21byqq said:

gabby

Mr. Crowder,

26% salt
15% calcium
4% phosphorus
11% sodium
.5% magnesium
.5% potassium
50ppm iodine
10ppm selenium
750ppm zinc
12,000 IU/Lb Vit. A

gabby

Mrs. Gabby,

For the sake of argument, for about 4.00 more than what you are paying at TSC, you could actually be doing your stock a huge favor, and yourself.You are mainly buying a bag of diluted salt.

Calcium 20%
Phosphorous 6%
Salt 13%
Magnesium 2%
Potassium 1%

The rest of the ingredients are Vitamins, Cane Syrup,Soybean Hulls, etc, for palatibility.

I also did not call anyone an idiot for buying minerals at TSC, merely they cater to the weekend cowpoke.

As for the "Staggers", I would have consulted a Vet's opinion, and not blamed it on Mineral intake or brand.

Visit http://www.sweetlix.com for a full view of products, and ingredient labels.

$4.00 more per bag? I don't think so.

4,686 posts? Good grief, don't you have anything else to do, sweetie?

gabby":2e3sspxn said:
Crowderfarms":2e3sspxn said:
Crowderfarms":2e3sspxn said:
rk":2e3sspxn said:

gabby

Mr. Crowder,

26% salt
15% calcium
4% phosphorus
11% sodium
.5% magnesium
.5% potassium
50ppm iodine
10ppm selenium
750ppm zinc
12,000 IU/Lb Vit. A

gabby

Mrs. Gabby,

Calcium 20%
Phosphorous 6%
Salt 13%
Magnesium 2%
Potassium 1%

$4.00 more per bag? I don't think so.

4,686 posts? Good grief, don't you have anything else to do, sweetie?
Guess that 4.00 would break a sucessful Cattleman/women?Specially when it could add up to a higher profit per head.

I've got plenty to do. Plenty of time to help folks on here that are willing to absorb some knowledge.

Obviously you aint in that group...You remind me of some ignorrant Yankee who must of come from somewhere else, and squatted in Ga.Probably got some insurance money from a fender bender in Brooklyn.

You seem to be pretty happy bragging about your 500 acres, 100 Cows and them stick ponies, but cry about an extra 4 bucks on a bag of real Minerals...

BTW I'm at work right now. Makin' money.I've got one of them jobs that allows me to do whatever I feel like doing. ;-)

Mineral, like anything else, should be evaluated on the basis of what it returns, not what it costs up front.

You're feeding a .5 magnesium. If the staggers you refer to were related to grass tetany, this level of mag won't prevent it, and you will eventually have it happen again.

Also, keep in mind that mineral consumption is about 2-4 ounces per hd/day. $4/bag is about 5-7 dollars/year more, not much additional cost.

"GRASS TETANY SYMPTOMS
The symptoms of hypomagnesemia closely resemble those of milk fever or ketosis. These include nervousness, lack of coordination, muscular spasms, staggering and death."

My two cows that got staggers were not nervous or spasmodic. They looked like any other cow lying down for a break. The were upright and alert. Everything appeared normal until they tried to get up. They were healthy-looking cows in good flesh about 5 years old.
gabby

gabby":1468oan3 said:
"GRASS TETANY SYMPTOMS
The symptoms of hypomagnesemia closely resemble those of milk fever or ketosis. These include nervousness, lack of coordination, muscular spasms, staggering and death."

My two cows that got staggers were not nervous or spasmodic. They looked like any other cow lying down for a break. The were upright and alert. Everything appeared normal until they tried to get up. They were healthy-looking cows in good flesh about 5 years old.
gabby

When the vet posted them he/she didn;t have any idea as to the problem?

dun

The vet gave the second one a bolus of potassium, I think, but she had already been down long enough that he didn't think it would help and he was right. He put her down. It was mid summer with plenty of good bahia grass to eat.

The first one was in mid winter hay feeding season. She went down near a pond and during the night got herself half submerged in the water in cold weather and I ended up shooting her without calling the vet.

maybe a dumb reply to this subject but neighbor came by about 2 months ago had a cow down but she just had a calf sounds the same she was laying looked fine head up but when she would try to get up she was trembling give her 2 tubes of calcium replacer and was up and fine the next day ? just wondering if that could apply to your situation .

dun":2nf4xooj said:
gabby":2nf4xooj said:
"GRASS TETANY SYMPTOMS

gabby

When the vet posted them he/she didn;t have any idea as to the problem?

dun
Come on Dun, No one with only a hundred head would bother with a Vet posting one... :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts