Low mineral consumption

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
rk":orcn1s88 said:
Mineral, like anything else, should be evaluated on the basis of what it returns, not what it costs up front.

You're feeding a .5 magnesium. If the staggers you refer to were related to grass tetany, this level of mag won't prevent it, and you will eventually have it happen again.

Also, keep in mind that mineral consumption is about 2-4 ounces per hd/day. $4/bag is about 5-7 dollars/year more, not much additional cost.

That's $700 to $1000 per year additional cost for my herd. No thanks.

dac1":88oqeytt said:
maybe a dumb reply to this subject but neighbor came by about 2 months ago had a cow down but she just had a calf sounds the same she was laying looked fine head up but when she would try to get up she was trembling give her 2 tubes of calcium replacer and was up and fine the next day ? just wondering if that could apply to your situation .

Maybe, but both of these cows' calves had been culled so they weren't even nursing. The symptoms are the same so I'll try calcium if it happens again. Thanks for the info.
gabby

gabby":11fgghon said:
rk":11fgghon said:
Mineral, like anything else, should be evaluated on the basis of what it returns, not what it costs up front.

You're feeding a .5 magnesium. If the staggers you refer to were related to grass tetany, this level of mag won't prevent it, and you will eventually have it happen again.

Also, keep in mind that mineral consumption is about 2-4 ounces per hd/day. $4/bag is about 5-7 dollars/year more, not much additional cost.

I don't know what your production levels are, but I'd bet a good mineral program would return you at least twice that.

rk":6ng9sd28 said:
gabby":6ng9sd28 said:
rk":6ng9sd28 said:

I don't know what your production levels are, but I'd bet a good mineral program would return you at least twice that.

How so rk? My cows are fat and slick. Haven't had any sick ones this year knock on wood. Did have one stillborn calf. It was way off color and out of a first time heifer but well developed.

Do you sell minerals like smarta$$ crowder does? Not meaning to be unfriendly, just interrested in full disclosure.
gabby

I do sell minerals. I am good at it because I've learned many of the benefits of good mineral nutrition, and getting those minerals into the cows, as well as the related economics.

Most are more interested in listening to the facts, rather than name callling. Try it sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts