Low mineral consumption

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Just seems like our cattle are not eating our mineral very good. Feeding Purina wind and rain fescue mineral. One pasture that has 21 head in it has not went thru no more than 10 pounds in the last couple weeks. Had some that bred back slow last year as they are calving late this year. Thought most of it was a problem with my old bull but now I am wondering if it is not mineral related.

Moved feeders around some and might have helped to some extent. Thinking about changing minerals but others brag in my area what Purina did for them in concepting improvement. Just wondering what I am doing wrong, any other ideas?

tom4018":1w6qaigc said:
Just seems like our cattle are not eating our mineral very good. Feeding Purina wind and rain fescue mineral. One pasture that has 21 head in it has not went thru no more than 10 pounds in the last couple weeks. Had some that bred back slow last year as they are calving late this year. Thought most of it was a problem with my old bull but now I am wondering if it is not mineral related.

Moved feeders around some and might have helped to some extent. Thinking about changing minerals but others brag in my area what Purina did for them in concepting improvement. Just wondering what I am doing wrong, any other ideas?
Tom,
Some Minerals just have no Palatibility.Try some Sweetlix VMS-14, or Copperhead. Are you feeding the loose Mineral by itself, or do you have any loose salt out that may be drawing them away from the Purina Mineral?

I'm assumming you feed the minerals free choice.
With mine, they eat what they need, when they need it.

Some months have a heavier consumption rate as compared to others.

Crowderfarms":3cw59bgb said:
tom4018":3cw59bgb said:

Tom,
Some Minerals just have no Palatibility.Try some Sweetlix VMS-14, or Copperhead. Are you feeding the loose Mineral by itself, or do you have any loose salt out that may be drawing them away from the Purina Mineral?
Just the Purina no other salt out.

Some things you can try are to remove any other sources of salt (if there are any), move the mineral closer to the water and/or any loafing areas, etc.

The presence of other supplements (liquid, blocks/tubs, or other dry feeds) will also tend to depress mineral intake.

It is true that consumption will fluctuate, but it shouldn't stay below about 2 ounces for more that a few days.

It may be palatability problem with the mineral. It doesn't matter how good the tags looks, if they won't eat it, it's no benefit.

tom4018":odeimhqj said:
Just seems like our cattle are not eating our mineral very good. Feeding Purina wind and rain fescue mineral. One pasture that has 21 head in it has not went thru no more than 10 pounds in the last couple weeks. Just wondering what I am doing wrong, any other ideas?

It sounds like you are not buying the right mineral. I have had the same issue. If the mineral is not soiled or caked - - then you can shovel mix in salt to improve palatability. I would start with 25% salt, and go up to 50%, as needed to hit your consumption target.

Beefy":ctfeh8c1 said:
have they been eating it well in the past?

At times they seem to, but just seems that consumption really varies. Really got worried about it this spring then i moved the feeders around and things seem to improve. But the last month they have really slacked off.

Worries me that may be why a few cows breed back late.
Southern States is selling a mineral formulated to UK Ag college specs, considering trying it.

Also try mixing in a few handsfuls of soybean meal,dry molassas,or cottonseed meal. Don't put out a excessive amount at one time as some will cake and or seem to get stale.

is the mineral near water? how much do you put out for X amount of cows? has the mineral gotten wet? how long has it been sitting out? what is the phosphorus content of the mineral? if they have consumed it well before, then they may just not need any right now and its entirely possible that some of your cows just have fertility issues.

I would bet it's the palpabililty of the minerals also. Try a different brand and see if it makes a difference. My cattle are plowing through 100 lbs in about 6 days right now. :shock:

tom4018 said:
Just seems like our cattle are not eating our mineral very good.

Consumption of minerals and salt both goes down in my herd as cooler weather comes on. I think this is normal.

Beefy":14y7gwie said:
is the mineral near water? how much do you put out for X amount of cows? has the mineral gotten wet? how long has it been sitting out? what is the phosphorus content of the mineral? if they have consumed it well before, then they may just not need any right now and its entirely possible that some of your cows just have fertility issues.

is the mineral near water? yes

how much do you put out for X amount of cows? i would say each feeder has 10-15 pounds in them 2 feeders in one pasture for example with 21 head

has the mineral gotten wet? sometimes it has blown it, but changed it out with no improvement

how long has it been sitting out? not long usually only put it out in small bucket fulls to keep it fresh

what is the phosphorus content of the mineral? 5%

if they have consumed it well before, then they may just not need any right now and its entirely possible that some of your cows just have fertility issues.

Maybe it is fetility issues, for one my new bull kept a rough hair coat all summer and it made me wonder it minerals might be the problem

tom4018":3e2regdq said:
Beefy":3e2regdq said:

is the mineral near water? yes

how much do you put out for X amount of cows? i would say each feeder has 10-15 pounds in them 2 feeders in one pasture for example with 21 head

has the mineral gotten wet? sometimes it has blown it, but changed it out with no improvement

how long has it been sitting out? not long usually only put it out in small bucket fulls to keep it fresh

what is the phosphorus content of the mineral? 5%

if they have consumed it well before, then they may just not need any right now and its entirely possible that some of your cows just have fertility issues.

Maybe it is fetility issues, for one my new bull kept a rough hair coat all summer and it made me wonder it minerals might be the problem

The cosumption of minerals with mine varies greatly sometimes seems like I can't put it out fast enough at others they just pick at it.
As far as fertility goes are your cows over conditioned what is there BCS.

Caustic Burno":277s4dlq said:
The cosumption of minerals with mine varies greatly sometimes seems like I can't put it out fast enough at others they just pick at it.

In my opinion they are probably a little on the fleshy side. But the only grain they get is when I need to get them up in the corral, so in the summer I may call them up and spray them once a week. 20 head in one pasture may get a 5 gallon bucket full at that time. Got plenty of grass so that is their diet, would not think they are over fleshy due to being fed grain. That thought had crossed my mind but since I felt I did not feed them a lot really did not know how to change that.

Not the best pic but what would you consider her in BCS? This is one that is late pic about a month ago should have calved by time of pic.

MVC-001F-1.jpg

We go through minerals in spurts too. Seems like they go for weeks and hardly touch the feeder then all of a sudden its almost empty.
We have the mineral feeders near water and have noticed that it gets slopped quite a bit so we just mix it up and make a mound down the center of the feeder to see if they are using it and its always been disturbed and the minerals consumed the next time that we check it.
Have noticd that when introducing a new brand it takes a couple of weeks to get the cows to like it.
Been going through the sacks so I guess that the cows are getting what they need and have no trouble with settling...AI'd this spring and only had one redo and she settled that poke.
Just my two bits worth....Dave Mc

tom4018":3n43tc93 said:
Caustic Burno":3n43tc93 said:

In my opinion they are probably a little on the fleshy side. But the only grain they get is when I need to get them up in the corral, so in the summer I may call them up and spray them once a week. 20 head in one pasture may get a 5 gallon bucket full at that time. Got plenty of grass so that is their diet, would not think they are over fleshy due to being fed grain. That thought had crossed my mind but since I felt I did not feed them a lot really did not know how to change that.

Not the best pic but what would you consider her in BCS? This is one that is late pic about a month ago should have calved by time of pic.

MVC-001F-1.jpg

Tom thats not the best picture for a BCS score but judging by her brisket fat I am going to put her 6+. This could definitely be your fertility problem.

Caustic Burno":16kp7i9r said:
tom4018":16kp7i9r said:
Caustic Burno":16kp7i9r said:

MVC-001F-1.jpg

Tom thats not the best picture for a BCS score but judging by her brisket fat I am going to put her 6+. This could definitely be your fertility problem.

AMEN Caustic Burno! who wants brisket for dinner?

as a sidenote, the fat brisket can be an indicator of a poor breeder, and a poor breeder can be caused by being a fatass.

Status
Not open for further replies.