Looking For Used Grain Drill

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
I'm looking for a small used grain drill (6 to 8 feet wide) for seeding small pasture & paddock areas. I've tried overseeding via broadcast method; however, those darn birds end up eating 90% of seed (except small ryegrass seeds). Want something to use to overseed with wheat or oats for grazing.

I do not want a "no-till" unit since those are very expensive and cumbersome.

On a sidebar: One of our area used equip re-builders/dealers has some JD ones that have been modified into the 6 & 8' wide size. However, I think they are asking too much...in the $1,750 price range...

Any info y'all can provide as to sources and/or used prices would be appreciated on type of drill I'm looking for.

Thanks!

that doesnt sound like a bad price for a small grain drill.your most likely going to have to pay that price to get what your wanting.

Would like more feedback on a drill...thanks.

My central question concerns the "value" or expected (average) selling price of a small grain drill. That is more important to me than "where" to find one...where is also nice, also.

Thanks.

In my search for a no till drill, I ran across a used but like new convention 7 foot John Deere drill just the other day. The price I thought was good too. $5500.
It has two hoppers, one for clover and one for small grain. The planter used "V" openers and closed wheels. Like a no till but no lead coulter.
PM me if you want the phone number. It was at the John Deere dealer in Montgomery, Alabama.

Older 10' to 12' wide grain drills on steel go for $100 to $150 if they are in working condition.
I paid $120 for a 12' JD press drill on rubber with a grass box, and I put $100 worth of parts into into it. It works better than my spinner for thickening up hay field pastures.
A local equipment jockey had two 12' JD drills on rubber and in running condition. He was asking $350 each.

You can pay a lot more for a drill but I do not know why you would unless you farmed a section of wheat.

I picked up a couple of old Pasture Dreams for nothing out of peoples pastures. Put them together and made one good one.
The left over parts got turned into a renovator.

novatech":175dzam5 said:
I picked up a couple of old Pasture Dreams for nothing out of peoples pastures. Put them together and made one good one.

I'm still trying to figure out how to put press wheels on my old JD-Van Brunt. I started with an old Model A and rebuilt it then converted it to disk openers. If it only had press wheels it would be ideal.

dun":17kispvt said:
novatech":17kispvt said:

I'm still trying to figure out how to put press wheels on my old JD-Van Brunt. I started with an old Model A and rebuilt it then converted it to disk openers. If it only had press wheels it would be ideal.
I don't know if they would fit but I have seen people use old wheel barrow tires filled with water. I have also found the old cast iron packer wheels that were used on old row crop equipment. Found in junk piles on old farms.
The disk openers would be a definite improvement on mine.

Does anyone know where I can find a no-till seven footer, Cheap that still works good?

alabama":1klqmugh said:
Does anyone know where I can find a no-till seven footer, Cheap that still works good?

The last 2 items threw out all of the used no-till drills I've seen lately

Latest posts