Longhorn Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Come on now Red Bull lol its not that bad of a calf....this calf actually could be a Charbray cross....the guy we bought the Longhorns from said he put one with them for a short time

You'll do alright at the sale barn with that one Big cheese. Because it's a solid color and the price of calves are high. Your going to be hurting when the price goes of calves goes back down.
So your calling that calf a good quality heifer?

highgrit":2g7zp3cx said:
You'll do alright at the sale barn with that one Big cheese. Because it's a solid color and the price of calves are high. Your going to be hurting when the price goes of calves goes back down.
So your calling that calf a good quality heifer?
I think we will crying lots when the beef prices go down regardless of what breed or color the calf is.

You sell them to early you won't make anything because they won't weigh enough. They are already a little lighter because of having the Longhorn in them.

Exactly Muddy I stated that earlier. The calves out of our Bulls have way better butts and bigger legs then this calf. There is a considerable different. I have no idea what the sire of this calf looked like or if it was even a purebred.

On this calf, I suspect your check may be smaller and you have more into him by waiting to sell until this weight. Hopefully, I am wrong. When you sell him, please post how he does.

He will be sold straight off the momma we won't have nothing in him unless we decided to put him in our heifer pen and wean him then all we will have in him is maybe a weeks worth of feed before we put him in the pasture with our heifers. Very little $$$ will be in him if any.

Also we sell at 7-8 months old and this one just turned 8 so we haven't waited on him any. We don't decide to sell calves based on weight just age. We are looking to get $900-$1000 for him....over that and we will be really happy.

He's back where he belongs now, and working overtime . He loves his job though. Couldn't get a pic of his butt.

Those heifers are a little misleading looking. My guess is they weigh close a 1000 pounds.

Thought would share a picture that I took this afternoon of one of our Longhorn Charolais cross steers. This guy is 3 months old and is out of our Perfect President bull. Tell me what y'all think....

The libido and ability to detect heat early is amazing on a LH bull. My heifer bull goes through barbed wire, under electric, and over woven wire. Full time job keeping him where he belongs. He's 24 hours ahead of all other Bulls on the place detecting heat. I've seen it before in LH Bulls. Just thought I would share.
I don't "think" he has bred anything but heifers so far thankfully. He gets whipped everytime he joins the herd.

longhornxchar_zpsehewj2dz.jpg

Latest posts