Longhorn Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Big Cheese":2ejs9ajb said:
9 and a half months.....older then we like to leave on a momma cow got caught up in hay when it was time to catch him and we kept letting him get to us at the corral
By my rough calculation, that is about 1.6 # gain per day. Pretty good, I'd say.

That weight in AR averages 256.54. High of 271.00

Everybody else has put that label on them. You have Longhorn and Beef breeds. I don't know why that's the way it was when I started on CT. But yes they are all eaten so they are all the same in my opinion.

TennesseeTuxedo":3mzbs2zs said:
Big Cheese":3mzbs2zs said:
I'm very satisfied with how he did. He did better then two beef calves we sold as well.

Why do you differentiate between these LH calves and your "beef calves"? Are they all not to be eaten?
. In our area anything that is corriente or longhorn are considered sport cattle. People that have them do direct marketing to avoid the salebarn dock.

Boot Jack Bulls":2oyoq02e said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2oyoq02e said:
Big Cheese":2oyoq02e said:
I'm very satisfied with how he did. He did better then two beef calves we sold as well.

Why do you differentiate between these LH calves and your "beef calves"? Are they all not to be eaten?
. In our area anything that is corriente or longhorn are considered sport cattle. People that have them do direct marketing to avoid the salebarn dock.
And when they're done with these sport cattle especially roping steers, they went to sale barn and sold them as slaughter cattle. It doesn't matter what kind of cattle you have, they will end up on someone's plate.

Yes, I understand that Muddy. I was just making a comment as to how people refer to them up here. And in the case of all the "sport cattle" breeders I know in our area, they don't go to the sale barn. That is what I meant by direct marketing. Most of them are sold privately in 1/2s and 1/4s. Plenty of holstein cows end up on a plate too....how often are they called beef?

True. In the end it is all called beef. Wasn't trying to start a argument, it was just an observation. Sorry if that came across wrong.

Once again, I don't raise these things to amount to much. I breed my heifers that way, and have a sprinkling of LH cows in my herd. This LH cow calved after church yesterday. Calf is not showing in pic on a cell phone. I've been meaning to start shifting everything to the left of a pic to compensate for that.

Big Cheese":3qcdlwe3 said:
Good looking calf there Bigfoot. Is that a full blood Longhorn calf or just out of a Longhorn momma or what? Looks like a good pair to me though.

Full, and a heifer to. I'll be keeping it hopefully.

Umm because its a girl, it has long horn in it and you can breed it to a charolais later in life... what else do you need?

That's a big LH cow. Few months ago there was an exotic sale at our local sale barn and they had registered longhorns, none of them are small, weighted over 1,200-1,400lbs and they were mature cows. They're not cheap either.

highgrit":3i9gblsn said:
Big Cheese":3i9gblsn said:
Would be a good one to keep for sure.

How can you tell that at this age Big Cheese?

First off the momma is a good looking cow and is tigerstripe I can't tell from the picture but the calf could have that tigerstripe and that is rare.....2 its full blood Longhorn its going to be a good cow being that.....3 its solid color so it will more then likely have a solid color calf bred to whatever bull you want to breed it too...4 its a heifer if your wanting to grow you keep your heifers and grow that way....5 I just like the way the cow and calf look

Bigfoot":2titdds0 said:
He's back where he belongs now, and working overtime . He loves his job though. Couldn't get a pic of his butt.

Injured his privates probably at the halfway point of breeding heifers. I gave him enough time to not look like like a hot mess, and sold him at the yard. He only brought.86. I wasnt expecting much, and I guess it was better than him keeling over. Retired two corriente roping steers the same day, and they only brought 1.13. I've said this on here before, these things serve a purpose in the industry, but when the market slips, they take the slip really hard, and really fast.

Latest posts