Longhorn Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954":3apu979q said:
We ran a registered charl bull with a longhorn. Her calves sold for top dollar.

We are hoping ours do the same. They are looking good so far. Had a new one today and he looks great.....marked up but Great lol.

Sell them longhorn and corrientes for roping cattle if you decide not to keep them. Grow them till the spring. Give them some protein when you wean them until they weigh about 400. If there horns are about 4 inches they should be worth $1000 as roping cattle and could be sold up to 1150 if you found somebody needing them. But this market is pretty crazy.

Big Cheese":1pfb721x said:
BK9954":1pfb721x said:

We are hoping ours do the same. They are looking good so far. Had a new one today and he looks great.....marked up but Great lol.
Can't wait to see the new calf!

Ojp6":35z4azs6 said:
Sell them longhorn and corrientes for roping cattle if you decide not to keep them. Grow them till the spring. Give them some protein when you wean them until they weigh about 400. If there horns are about 4 inches they should be worth $1000 as roping cattle and could be sold up to 1150 if you found somebody needing them. But this market is pretty crazy.

Full bloods are going bringing between $2.00-$2.15 a pound here and it's usually the same guy that buys them lol he rents out roping cattle to other farmers. He bought every single one of our steers last year privately they all weighed 300 or less and we got $575 a piece for them on average. Sold a nice Longhorn steer about three weeks ago weighed 330 brought $2.00. It's hard to get full bloods to 400 and you don't usually get much more money for them. We are keeping the heifers though only 3 or 4 full blood steers.

We can sell the heifers for more then that though. A lot of people are starting to realize here the benefits of using Longhorns.

Muddy":xaqrwgrn said:
Big Cheese":xaqrwgrn said:
BK9954":xaqrwgrn said:

Can't wait to see the new calf!

Could of gotten a picture today but didn't have my phone. Got a track meet tomorrow so I'll be home late have to try and get it this weekend. Also had a new Black Balancer cross calf and a cow we bought bred had a black calf so I guess it's black angus. We are really starting to get some calves now. Love seeing them. Next Friday should be the last day or so of black calves we get and then we will be all Charolais from then on.

Don't run a straight longhorn through the sale barn. Put them on Craigslist or somewhere for 800 at least. If the have long enough horns and weigh over 300 they should bring back a lot more than 575.

Here are a few ads I found in two minutes on cattle range and ranch world ads. There are similar ones all over craigslist. Some of the potential ropers in the one ad have horns that are barely 2 inches long and still asking 950.
image_zps7axdl8ra.jpg

Here is one in Arkansas
image_zps0lmgealm.jpg

If your going to raise Longhorns or corrientes marketing them correctly can make a huge difference in your operation. There is a good chance your calves that brought 575 would have sold for 800-1000 on Craigslist pretty fast I would bet

Here is another one in Arkansas.
image_zps4qf61qbt.jpg

This group had small horns and they are pretty small calves but they are still probably going to get a whole lot more than you would in a sale barn.

TexasBred":11q9p5t3 said:
These haven't sold yet....those are asking prices.

One man I rope with sold 60 steers for 975 a peice on Craigslist already this spring and they were sold over the phone in under 30 minutes. And I'm from Minnesota where there are a lot less ropers than there are in Arkansas, Oklahoma, or Texas. And people will drive to get a deal on some roping stock. Several people we rope with go to Montana to get theirs because they are a touch cheaper.

A couple bunches in the first ad are sold already.

Ojp6":qthkglj0 said:
TexasBred":qthkglj0 said:

One man I rope with sold 60 steers for 975 a peice on Craigslist already this spring and they were sold over the phone in under 30 minutes. And I'm from Minnesota where there are a lot less ropers than there are in Arkansas, Oklahoma, or Texas. And people will drive to get a deal on some roping stock. Several people we rope with go to Montana to get theirs because they are a touch cheaper.

There is a chance that these roping calves might not get sold for awhile. Also most ropers I know wants a group of roping calves, not a single calf.

Muddy":1rn51lg9 said:
Ojp6":1rn51lg9 said:
TexasBred":1rn51lg9 said:

There is a chance that these roping calves might not get sold for awhile. Also most ropers I know wants a group of roping calves, not a single calf.

That is true. Most of those were a quite a bit higher than he would need to get to be worth selling them privately. I thought he might have 4 or 5 at least for next spring. Roping cattle are moving as well as they ever have this spring so at 800 I think I could find somebody I've roped with in Arkansas that would have went and got one if it had some horn. I just hate to see somebody run good roping cattle that have never been roped through a sale barn because most people will think they have already been roped and won't pay much for used up cattle. Fresh roping cattle are something that a lot of people need this time of year and usually they are willing to pay.

I'm strapping horns on $3.50 a pound beef calves, and roping them. I'd rather pay a fortune for something i can get my money back out of than, rope longhorns at a loss.

Bigfoot":2wvsnugc said:
I'm strapping horns on $3.50 a pound beef calves, and roping them. I'd rather pay a fortune for something i can get my money back out of than, rope longhorns at a loss.
I bought one good fresh heifer out of the sale barn for 725 and that's all we have to rope. I figured if I bought some heifers in the 7s and ran them with a bull when we were done with them I might get out of them without losing money.

A roper lives by us, kept heifers and sold the steers. There isn't much return money from the steers but he will sell bred heifers, usually bred by either Angus or Hereford bull to get money back.

Muddy":2hudqb1d said:
A roper lives by us, kept heifers and sold the steers. There isn't much return money from the steers but he will sell bred heifers, usually bred by either Angus or Hereford bull to get money back.

I guess that's the only way I can think of that they will pay off. I know one guy had a bunch with some beef cross in them and he cut the horns off and fed the really hard and he actually killed them at one of the IBP plants that Tyson owns and he came out ok on them I guess.

I am elated with today's cattle prices, and dread going backwards although it's inevitable. I miss being able to buy cheap roping cattle. Time was, you couldn't winter a LH cow for what you could buy a LH calf for. Atleast for the time being, those days are gone. We're tieing down jerseys, and turning beef calves with plastic horns. I only have 5 head total, and have more than $5000 in them. Been too wet to fool with much besides a sled. I dread seeing how quick they get sour, when the ground finally settles. I bet it won't take long.

We don't have many Longhorn or Corriente steers anymore that was mainly last year and we had mostly heifers this year and we are going to keep mostly all of them....3 Corrientes steers we are about to wean and will have one Longhorn steer this fall. We are getting around $2.00-$2.15 a pound for them run through the barn. Yes I could probably get more trying to sell them privately as ropers but that could take a while and then I would have to feed them and keep them up. I'm happy with what we are getting for them. But we are getting out of that and finally at the end of this week we should be all Charolais Longhorn cross calves from here on and not have to worry about full bloods except for the occasional one here or there when we buy a bred cow that has one.

But if you know someone that is in arkansas that needs some roping stock let them know we have some for sale. We are weaning the 3 Corriente steers so I will try and sell them privately until October when we have our big sell of our Spring calves.

Haven't posted any pictures in a while and we have only had about 4 calves since I lasted posted and I only have pictures of two of them but I thought I would share them.

This is a Longhorn cross heifer calf. It is out of a Solid White Longhorn cow. My dad and I got into a big argument over what is the daddy of this calf. It is right on the bubble of being out of our Charolais bull so naturally he preached that it is out of the Charolais because he is ready to see a calf out of this particular bull because we haven't gotten any out of him yet. As you guys I'm sure can tell from the picture like I could tell when we first drove up on it....it is a Hereford calf. It has a legitimate white face on it. I did finally convince my dad that I was right and he was just going to have to wait a little bit longer for a calf out of this Charolais bull. But what do y'all think it is...I am correct right??

This is my first personal Charolais Longhorn cross calf. It is a heifer and is a GREAT looking calf. I'll go ahead and tell you guys now she isn't leaving our place and I will be keeping her as a cow.

These are a couple of the new calves we have had over the last week or 2. I will try and get pictures of the other 2 as well some time this week.

Latest posts