Load Shaft Replacement, JD 4020. Tips?

Help Support CattleToday:

4x4dually

Reaction score
I bought replacement seals, bushings, and a shaft from Boling Machine. Instructions were no help. Has anyone done this that can offer some tips and maybe a "how-to" write up? Anyone have access to the JD manual that wouldn't mind scanning a few pages?

Thanks in advance.

Would like to know:
Does it matter where the shaft is when pulling it as far as the implement depth?
Does the shaft come out without removing the rear wheel or it is short enough?

JWB

There are notches that will only let the plugs on the end of the shaft go back in the correct position. Usually the wheel doesn't need to be removed unless they are set very narrow.

Thanks for the tips. I need to do this soon. I've been through three or four 5 gal buckets of fluid and it is almost empty again. I should have done it a long time ago but have been busy. I wish I had a sectional view of what is inside so I can have a visual of the assembly....but that's the engineer in me always over evaluating everything. LOL

4x4dually":16uulzx3 said:
Thanks for the tips. I need to do this soon. I've been through three or four 5 gal buckets of fluid and it is almost empty again. I should have done it a long time ago but have been busy. I wish I had a sectional view of what is inside so I can have a visual of the assembly....but that's the engineer in me always over evaluating everything. LOL
Got to JD Parts online and look it up on a newer model tractor...(4040 or 2950) wouldn't think it would be to much difference but I reserve the right to be WRONG>... :D

I've looked at the diagram on JD parts online for the '68 4020 that I have. I also have the I&T manual...but that book has proven to be less than useful before so I'm not too confident in it. Since the seals and bushings and shafts I bought from Boling Machine were $218....I only want to do this once. ;)

Latest posts