Lesser discussed breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

What about your cattle lets see them. Ya those cows are not perfect never said they were. But they get the job done. Just weaned 6 month old calves that average 650lbs off the cow.
How those cows of your can we see them

I'll pm you. They may not want to be publicly associated with me. There's no birth weight info on his calves yet. There still in the oven. I will probably breed my brangus to him as well.

Taurus,

Old Howard here is pretty good hand. He brings a lot of knowledge to the table. He's got what I'd call a size able niche market going for himself with his chi cattle. Let's back off his cows udders till we see what he has to say. If I'm using them for a terminal cross why do I care what the udders look like. Let the pure bred guy fight that battle.

I sell both bulls and heifers to other folks. Certain cows we will not sell calves to anyone other than the feedlot. No not every cow i have is perfect like other folks who sell cattel. I have been breeding chianina cattle since 1985 probably one of the oldest breeders in the state of Ky. I would bet any farm or ranch sells their less attractive cattle at sales as their top end cattle to folks trying to improve their herd. I dont have a lot of money to spend on expensive cattle so i have built my herd from the ground up buying good animals and bad animals along the way. I have in no way said my cows are the best but rather they work on our farm and the feedlots have been happy with what we have been sending them. when the buyer at the local yards calls me and ask when i am bringing feeders i think i am doing things the correct way. If you want to hen peck my cows feel free but lets see your cattle and pick them a part just the same.

Bigfoot":lzanyg0p said:
I'll pm you. They may not want to be publicly associated with me. There's no birth weight info on his calves yet. There still in the oven. I will probably breed my brangus to him as well.

Taurus,

Old Howard here is pretty good hand. He brings a lot of knowledge to the table. He's got what I'd call a size able niche market going for himself with his chi cattle. Let's back off his cows udders till we see what he has to say. If I'm using them for a terminal cross why do I care what the udders look like. Let the pure bred guy fight that battle.
Like I said, Chianina crosses cattle has udder problems and the pictures say all. I heard other people that has same udder issues with their Chianina cattle. Since Hookline has stated specificially the breeds and their pro/CONS.

Taurus":3d8pvw8t said:
choward2955jd":3d8pvw8t said:
Well if call hitting yelling cowboying than yes they will not deal with it. Sure do have udder problems according to you no cattle are as good as yours. but wait lets see those great cattle of yours lets talk about them. But i bet you wan show yours to anyone
http://www.champagnefarm.com/#!cattle-for-sale
Check out the red cow with red calf
http://www.champagnefarm.com/#!herd-cows
Black cow and smokey cow with goofy udders.

I wouldnt give you anything but kill price for anything on that web site. Chi's are popular in mexico, those wouldnt be good cattle there.

choward2955jd":37n8gdcl said:
What about your cattle lets see them. Ya those cows are not perfect never said they were. But they get the job done. Just weaned 6 month old calves that average 650lbs off the cow.
You need to remove some of those cows from your web page. You seem like a nice guy, I understand you have some cows that you don't sell seed stock out of, but that doesn't mean you need to advertise horrible udders. It's not promoting your business. I would never buy any animal from a breeder who advertises cows like that. I am sure you are true to your word not to sell seed stock out of them but the purpose of a web page is to gain new business. The potential customers you could gain from the site don't know you well enough to know if they can take you at your word to not "slip one in". And there is a thread in the "breeding and calving" section that Taurus posted his cows in.

Isomade":3igdvo9f said:
choward2955jd":3igdvo9f said:
You need to remove some of those cows from your web page. You seem like a nice guy, I understand you have some cows that you don't sell seed stock out of, but that doesn't mean you need to advertise horrible udders. It's not promoting your business. I would never buy any animal from a breeder who advertises cows like that. I am sure you are true to your word not to sell seed stock out of them but the purpose of a web page is to gain new business. The potential customers you could gain from the site don't know you well enough to know if they can take you at your word to not "slip one in". And there is a thread in the "breeding and calving" section that Taurus posted his cows in.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=79808

Nothing special about my cattle beside that they are functional (beside the open cull cow) with good udders and raised 500-600lbs calves.

Maybe that's how the rumor started because of the pictures on website. But boy you need heavy culling on your herd or don't show them on public website.

I just looked at your cows you do have some good pictures of cows. You do have some cows with sturcture problems just as everyone else does with their cows. I never said that mine were better than anyone elses cattle. My cows work for me and my customers the same as yours do for your folks. Just as i teach my students in class about livestock judging. Most cows in the UNited States have structure problems of some kinf or the other. But this does not make them bad cows. I am trying to post pictures of all of my for the reason is that i want people to see what we have to offer. Its just like buying a used car or truck. The pictures on the internet may look good but when you see the vechile in person you can see the scratches and dents. (A big let down). I want people to see that we have cows with some strutchers probelms but that they will wean heavy calves and easy to handle. I would rather everyone see the entire herd as to see rather than just a few animals.
Now looking at your picture you have good commerical cows. But i could pick some of them apart due to structure probelms but i want out of repsect for what you are building your herd into. Again i never said my cows were better than anyones cattle. My site is for someone looking for an honest herd to look at not just part of a herd

Stocker Steve":rwwv1gam said:
We like herf and herf x cows. Not many left in this area. See more going west and north.
Some reg SH herds left here. They sell OK in groups but look a little framy to me.
Met a guy selling Normandie "beef" bulls. Claimed they threw docile bwf calves when put over a BA cow?
Seeing more Devon's in this area. They are spendy but don't seem to have the capacity and muscle of other exotics. Claim to be grass finishers.
Seeing more Lowlines in this area. Some are trying to sell breeding stock to cross with the modern terminal angus type.
Steve, keep in mind there are two types of Devon cattle, the dual purpose derived South Devon and the draught derived North Devon:
http://www.redrubydevon.co.uk/index.htm
http://www.sdhbs.org.uk/
And for interest the Sussex;
http://www.sussexcattlesociety.org.uk/

andybob":f9kn7bnj said:
Stocker Steve":f9kn7bnj said:
We like herf and herf x cows. Not many left in this area. See more going west and north.
Some reg SH herds left here. They sell OK in groups but look a little framy to me.
Met a guy selling Normandie "beef" bulls. Claimed they threw docile bwf calves when put over a BA cow?
Seeing more Devon's in this area. They are spendy but don't seem to have the capacity and muscle of other exotics. Claim to be grass finishers.
Seeing more Lowlines in this area. Some are trying to sell breeding stock to cross with the modern terminal angus type.
Steve, keep in mind there are two types of Devon cattle, the dual purpose derived South Devon and the draught derived North Devon:
http://www.redrubydevon.co.uk/index.htm
http://www.sdhbs.org.uk/
And for interest the Sussex;
http://www.sussexcattlesociety.org.uk/
I believe he is talking about South Devon since this breed is available in United States.

choward2955jd":36igtxoe said:
I just looked at your cows you do have some good pictures of cows. You do have some cows with sturcture problems just as everyone else does with their cows. I never said that mine were better than anyone elses cattle. My cows work for me and my customers the same as yours do for your folks. Just as i teach my students in class about livestock judging. Most cows in the UNited States have structure problems of some kinf or the other. But this does not make them bad cows. I am trying to post pictures of all of my for the reason is that i want people to see what we have to offer. Its just like buying a used car or truck. The pictures on the internet may look good but when you see the vechile in person you can see the scratches and dents. (A big let down). I want people to see that we have cows with some strutchers probelms but that they will wean heavy calves and easy to handle. I would rather everyone see the entire herd as to see rather than just a few animals.
Now looking at your picture you have good commerical cows. But i could pick some of them apart due to structure probelms but i want out of repsect for what you are building your herd into. Again i never said my cows were better than anyones cattle. My site is for someone looking for an honest herd to look at not just part of a herd
Choward, I had three cows (Angus x Holstein crosses) that has bad udders. I culled them because their calves were being weak for few days after birth. Lost two calves due to poor immune. Hate to put them in the chute for few days. The cows in their early teens were in great shape when I culled them...if they have good udders they might have 5-6 more years on my ranch. Which that is why it is important to have a functional udder free of problems and you can have your cows live for long time and still producing healthy calves. I ended up culled Angus x Holstein crosses in my herd very heavily and right now I only have one cow left. I am not planning to keep replacements out of her at any time.

IMO I think you can improve your herd...by cull your cows with bad udders and selecting good sire/dam to have good udders. Or better, use your Chi bulls to cross non-Chianina cows and you can have your Chi crosses cows that has good udders.

I agree as well. But they are good cows I am planning on removing some of them as i have my last group of 30 heifers have babies. Note every cow you have is perfect the same as i have but we have to work with what we have at the time. The only animals i sell to anyone will be off of our top cows. But i do want people to see the entire herd not just a part of the herd. I believe in being honest and letting people see all that we have

choward2955jd":380r3w28 said:
I agree as well. But they are good cows I am planning on removing some of them as i have my last group of 30 heifers have babies. Note every cow you have is perfect the same as i have but we have to work with what we have at the time. The only animals i sell to anyone will be off of our top cows. But i do want people to see the entire herd not just a part of the herd. I believe in being honest and letting people see all that we have
Well let's be honest, your cattle with poor udders don't help you get the customers. If you want to be a honest seller and a breeder, I will cull the cows with bad udders now, take them to the salebarn then you have a herd of whole good-looking cattle with functional udders. You will work on what you have at the time but the cows with bad udders isn't what you need to work on as the udders are beyond fixable. After all a breeder must removing undesirable animals from the breeding group to makes their selling products AND reputation looks good.

One of the reasons some of the cattle where not introduced into North America until recently was that there are import restrictions from some countries due to diseases like hoof and mouth, and only embryos can be brought in, which is pricey.
Talking about rough looking udders, some of the older Herefords had some pretty rough udders. Looked like bananas hanging under their bellies. I have seen a definate improvement in the Hereford udders due to cattlemen /women culling and careful breeding.
The problem with some of the minor breeds is the narrow gene pool, which restricts finding strong animals to counter act faults. They are simply harder to find because of the low numbers.
Nite Hawk

Nite Hawk":1y04f2im said:
One of the reasons some of the cattle where not introduced into North America until recently was that there are import restrictions from some countries due to diseases like hoof and mouth, and only embryos can be brought in, which is pricey.
Talking about rough looking udders, some of the older Herefords had some pretty rough udders. Looked like bananas hanging under their bellies. I have seen a definate improvement in the Hereford udders due to cattlemen /women culling and careful breeding.
The problem with some of the minor breeds is the narrow gene pool, which restricts finding strong animals to counter act faults. They are simply harder to find because of the low numbers.
Nite Hawk
I think most cattle came in Americas were culls. That's why some minor breeds have problems with udders, disposition, bad genetics etc.

Every cow is someone's cull.

Minor breeds are usually a niche market. Different marketing is needed. It is more work.

I used to use full blood and high percentage chi 3/4 and above % and one of the guys I used to buy bulls from switched to a breed of cattle called Marchigiana cattle that are suppose to be not as hot blooded as allot of the Chi genetics sent over to the U.S. and have allot of the same attributes and are even meatier, even though the pics at http://www.marchigiana.org/ are not as meaty as the Fullblood Chi's I had. But I gave up on the niche market a long time ago and concentrated on the money making aspect and have switched to Black Angus and Hereford bulls with cows with 3/8 or less of ear Brangus, Gert etc. Although I do have some decendents from those Chi bulls that will out perform any cow I have ever put in my pastures.

Taurus":27q14vbs said:
Nite Hawk":27q14vbs said:
Nite Hawk
I think most cattle came in Americas were culls. That's why some minor breeds have problems with udders, disposition, bad genetics etc.
theres a polled herd of those around from me,, they were registerd stock at one time, till the original owner died, and this man ""i think kin'' bought them later....horrible teats and udder structure.. looks like there is no space between quarters... i wonder did it stem from single trait selection for polled ??

Latest posts