Collecting cattle breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

Herford×Angus

Reaction score
Had a random thought today. Was thinking about collecting cattle breeds. Sounds like there are over a 1000 different breeds https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cattle_breeds Although I see a lot of repetition in that list e.g. American Angus or Australian brangus.. So what I'm getting at does anyone have a breed collection? If so how many different? What's the world record?

When we did ai on our cross breds we tried every breed we could, was heaps of fun but never had pures or all at once. I have a mate who had 8 different pure lines going. Id like to run three breeds if i had the space but more than that would be hard to do properly.

Only one breed pure animals here, but quite many random crossbreds. Have used 9 beef breeds in the past, have cows from 6. However, have added some more just recently and will add more. Going to add 4, which we've never tried and will have or already have calves from the other 3 breeds, which we've used, but have no cows from. So in total there will be 13 random beef breeds used in the herd. Could count one more, as one breed is a mix of 5different ones, and one from those have never been used directly. Won't hesitate to try out more if there will be a possibility.
My parents probably going to have two pure breeds in the future. I'm not sure yet, but would like to have a couple different ones with ~10 pure cows of each breed.

Gonna be hard to maximize heterosis with 20 different kinds of cattle. I don't even like having the few kinds of cattle that don't fit my program here. But they're my nephews so they stay until he finds his own place or they die.

Latest posts