Lesser discussed breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks Taurus, thought I had photo posting figured out , but I guess not. My belief is that many of the so called minor breeds still have important uses in the cattle industry today. It is interesting how so many diverse traits were developed in different environments worldwide.

BMCC":20lyknxl said:
Thanks Taurus, thought I had photo posting figured out , but I guess not. My belief is that many of the so called minor breeds still have important uses in the cattle industry today. It is interesting how so many diverse traits were developed in different environments worldwide.
Bingo. A lot has to do with climates and the animals being able to thrive in those climates.

The big problem with promoting a minor breed is getting the cart moving out in front of the horse. Lesser breeds start out small and try to build business one bull at a time and you can bet that if he's a breed changer half the breed will be related to him within a few generations.
Speaking as a fairly small time rancher, if I want to add in Saler genetics, just for example, I'm not looking for ONE good Saler bull, I'm looking for at least three consistant Saler bulls for a two way cross and preferably five and I'm going to be really concerned about the future availability of Saler bulls so that I can keep my cross going. If there is only ONE Saler breeder available I'm probably going to walk away because the chances of my breeding plan getting thrown out the window are to great if that guy goes out of business. It doesn't matter if I think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, if there is only one good bull then I have no use for the breed as a whole because all they can do is add inconsistancy.

Thanks andybob for the link to the ranch in Canada using Sussex genetics. It was enjoyable reading about their program.

Cowski, you are right that Chianinas haven't been used heavily in North America for many years, however Chiangus, a cross of Chianina and Angus, are fairly popular. Chianina and Angus do a nice job of complementing each other, and has resulted in the hybrid breed (Chiangus) that offers many benefits to commercial cattlemen. Unfortunately, a high percentage of Chiangus breeders are focused on the show ring and so it has been difficult for the commercially focused Chiangus breeders to gain credibility with commercial producers who think of Chiangus as primarly a show breed.

UG":lfgb9ulz said:
Thanks andybob for the link to the ranch in Canada using Sussex genetics. It was enjoyable reading about their program.

Cowski, you are right that Chianinas haven't been used heavily in North America for many years, however Chiangus, a cross of Chianina and Angus, are fairly popular. Chianina and Angus do a nice job of complementing each other, and has resulted in the hybrid breed (Chiangus) that offers many benefits to commercial cattlemen. Unfortunately, a high percentage of Chiangus breeders are focused on the show ring and so it has been difficult for the commercially focused Chiangus breeders to gain credibility with commercial producers who think of Chiangus as primarly a show breed.
Idk if you called them Chiangus since most of "Chiangus" has really low Chianina percentage and they often have other breeds than Angus in them. Not too many Chiangus has more than 25% Chi.

Taurus":1a1iv1en said:
UG":1a1iv1en said:

Idk if you called them Chiangus since most of "Chiangus" has really low Chianina percentage and they often have other breeds than Angus in them. Not too many Chiangus has more than 25% Chi.
Orinally they were called Ankina. Don;t know what ever happened to that registry.

dun":2yezrj26 said:
Taurus":2yezrj26 said:
UG":2yezrj26 said:

Orinally they were called Ankina. Don;t know what ever happened to that registry.
Any reason why they have to keep Chianina percentage really minimal in these "Chiangus"? Seems that they don't need Chianina blood at all.

I know what you mean about minimal levels of Chi blood in many of the registered Chi cattle. Every year the Chi registry mails me their sire directory, which consists of several pages of ads of herd sires that breeders are trying to sell progeny or semen out of. I don't use any Chi in our program so I casually page through it and toss it away. However, I was surprised to see a couple years ago a bull that is registered with the Chi association only had 2% Chi blood. I guess the Chi association is just happy to get the registration fees for these very low percentage cattle.

I have met several Chi breeders who are commercially focused. It seems to me that typically they have the best success selling bulls with 12.5 to 25% Chi blood. Cattle with much higher percentages than this usually have too much frame and tend to have higher birth weights than desired by many of their commecial producers.

It would seem that Chiangus bulls with only 12.5% Chi blood in them would look very similar to purebred Angus. However, it is surprising just how much more power and growth is exhibited with a small shot of Chi in the genetic mix.

We like herf and herf x cows. Not many left in this area. See more going west and north.
Some reg SH herds left here. They sell OK in groups but look a little framy to me.
Met a guy selling Normandie "beef" bulls. Claimed they threw docile bwf calves when put over a BA cow?
Seeing more Devon's in this area. They are spendy but don't seem to have the capacity and muscle of other exotics. Claim to be grass finishers.
Seeing more Lowlines in this area. Some are trying to sell breeding stock to cross with the modern terminal angus type.

Stocker Steve":3p0gklse said:
We like herf and herf x cows. Not many left in this area. See more going west and north.
Some reg SH herds left here. They sell OK in groups but look a little framy to me.
Met a guy selling Normandie "beef" bulls. Claimed they threw docile bwf calves when put over a BA cow?
Seeing more Devon's in this area. They are spendy but don't seem to have the capacity and muscle of other exotics. Claim to be grass finishers.
Seeing more Lowlines in this area. Some are trying to sell breeding stock to cross with the modern terminal angus type.
I once passed a Devon farm few years ago...they seems decent cattle but horned.

Belted cattle are getting common these days on commerical operations.

The biggest reason why chianina cattle have not caught on is due to the fact that the club calf folks have bred to purpose out of them. Fast growth and good mother cows. The fullblood chianina were very popular at one time in the United States but folks did not know how to handle them. They are not crazy just very athletic if they are handled wrong. We run probably the largest herd of high percenatge chianina cattle in the United States and the 2nd largest herd of fullbloods in the United States. If you want a breed that adds weight fast with little cost to yuor feeders than chianina is the way to go (chianina bulls not chiangus). I would say most chiangus cattle shown in the United States would be questionable if they have any chi in them at all. Most people have only heard the rumors about the breed and they have gotten a bad reputation since. More wild from rumors than they really are.

You cant cowboy them or crack whips on them. Now most chis today are nothing in terms of size and looks from years gone buy. A chiangus of today in my opinion is no more than a angus. The chiangus, chimaine, and our fullblood chianina look like they did 20 years ago. To be honest we will have more attitude problems with our chiangus than our fullbloods

hooknline":30amwan9 said:
So what's the correct way to handle a chi?
Of todays standrads in the chi association i would not purchase but from 2 or 3 breeders in the United States. They are more focused on the show end of the deal vs. the feeder calf side of the business

So you saying that Chianina cattle can't be "cowboy" up? Sounds like they are not suitable for the commerical purposes if they can't "cowboy up".

Also they have udder problems as I've been told....doesn't your Chi cattle still has udder problems?

Well if call hitting yelling cowboying than yes they will not deal with it. Sure do have udder problems according to you no cattle are as good as yours. but wait lets see those great cattle of yours lets talk about them. But i bet you wan show yours to anyone

Chris,

I bought my chi bull (44 percent) for weaning weight. I'm only putting him on my Charolais herd. He will deliver want he?

Latest posts