Jersey Heifer Project

Help Support CattleToday:

Tie her with her head held high in an enclosed area. Not where she needs to be on tiptoe lol but held up. Brush her, scratch where she likes it. Then untie and walk her to a feedpan that has a treat, or her normal meal.
This teaches her to walk for her reward.
We will tie one in her pen, then walk her to other side of the pen- so just a few feet. When they are good with that, we will untie and walk to next pen.
Always stay in small area, so she never thinks she got control. You must be willing to pop them on the nose if they try to run or pull ahead of you. You can still be their best buddy, but you are the boss. That is respect. The normal pecking order. You must be top of pecking order.

Tie her with her head held high in an enclosed area. Not where she needs to be on tiptoe lol but held up. Brush her, scratch where she likes it. Then untie and walk her to a feedpan that has a treat, or her normal meal.
This teaches her to walk for her reward.
We will tie one in her pen, then walk her to other side of the pen- so just a few feet. When they are good with that, we will untie and walk to next pen.
Always stay in small area, so she never thinks she got control. You must be willing to pop them on the nose if they try to run or pull ahead of you. You can still be their best buddy, but you are the boss. That is respect. The normal pecking order. You must be top of pecking order.
What she said:)

@Buck Randall
Nothing really. Bag hasn't gotten any bigger. But Big sexy ain't been on her lately either. I'm almost tempted to load her up and have her re-checked.
Her horn are growing too.
My money's still on Dumbo.
He called her "at least" 3 months July 8th I think it was. So that's gonna put her January maybe
20221123_070510.jpg20221123_070418.jpg

I hate to say it but I think she is going to be one of your less than profitable projects. Hope she makes a liar out of me....
Hehe...
Shes done ate a LOT.

I hadn't really planned on putting a bull with her til about the time Big Sexy broke in and raped her anyway. 🤣

But. She was just a baby when I got her. Takes a long time to get em there. About the same as retaining heifers I reckon. It's been interesting for sure. A good nurse cow is still hard to find around here.

I hope she comes around to the idea when she calves. She's got a whole new world coming when that happens!

Alright guys!
Opal went to the real vet today.

Shes 4.5 to 5 months bred. So she's gonna be bred to Big Sexy! And she's a heifer. Sale barn "vet" called her 3 months in July. So that was a lie. If we look back a few pages the whole history is there.

I'll have a pic or two later.

@Lannie is gonna be so mad at me!

Alright guys!
Opal went to the real vet today.

Shes 4.5 to 5 months bred. So she's gonna be bred to Big Sexy! And she's a heifer. Sale barn "vet" called her 3 months in July. So that was a lie. If we look back a few pages the whole history is there.

I'll have a pic or two later.

@Lannie is gonna be so mad at me!
Wait, what? Why am I gonna be mad at you? Please 'splain. :)

They had gotten quite impressive but she had also gotten much too bossy with em. Had I kept her seperate and an only cow perhaps she wouldn't have been such a twit about it. She was really boss of all cows that were with her. None of my others have horns. Kind of an unfair advantage. Funny to watch all the great big cows walk a wiiiiide circle around her.

A bit sad about it. But she will be much easier to work with I guess. I startled her the other day and she kinda went nutz. My skin is gettin old and thin. She just bumped me and that's all it took. Blood everywhere from a little bitty piece of torn skin. Sheesh...

I know about the thin skin... I hate it. When my girl Maggie (the dog) was younger, she would jump on me and hook me with one of her dewclaws and rip open a hunk of my hand that would bleed and bleed. I'd cut the dang dewclaws, but the cut edges were sharp, too. Seems like bumping into the corral gate will give me blood blisters on my hands now, too, it's not just getting bumped by a dog or a cow. Getting old sucks. Grrrr...

So I'm worried a little. Kinda. But not terrible worried. Just some!
After seeing these last 2 calves from Big Sexy, poor Opal has a job to do getting one birthed. But at the same time, that mama and her daughter ALWAYS make big calves, so there's that....
But this newest one out of Rocket is HUGE!!
I got him banded and tagged but it wasn't without a fight. Gotta be pushing 100lbs. If I had the gumption I'd try n weigh him. Bit I'm just gonna keep fingers crossed the Jersey part of the equation will be sufficient.
Fingers 🤞
20230401_092735.jpg20230331_084202.jpg

Latest posts