Jersey Heifer Project

Help Support CattleToday:

Just got home and was checking on her.
There's definitely something alive in there. I can stand beside her and feel it kicking her belly.
Shes either standing like this or laying down. Still no appetite. She ate about 3 bites of feed. Tho she has gotten up and drank some water. I've been monitoring that closely. Bag is still not filled out. Not terribly springing yet either. Tho I've noticed she kicks at her belly with her front feet. And kick dirt up at her belly too.
20230522_175220.jpg
Sometimes she lays like this but with her chin on the ground and head forward.
20230520_183208(0).jpg

I have no doubt she was bred. But if she aborted before I got her penned she should have a big bag o milk this far along I would think. She don't stink like she's got a dead calf either. Hmmm.
The palpation video I found was very helpful tho

I've been googling all sorts of stuff like that too. She don't have stank breath.
I'm curious why you think all cows/heifers get the same "signs" of impending parturition...

Some don't bag up until the day they calve. Some don't show any mucus or swelling at all. Some swell and bag and drip mucus for a couple of weeks.

The only thing that concerns me is that she's separated herself and hasn't any evidence of labor. In my experience a cow that seeks out a place to birth is beginning the process, and it's usually within hours. I think the advice to do an internal is a good idea.

I'm curious why you think all cows/heifers get the same "signs" of impending parturition...

Some don't bag up until the day they calve. Some don't show any mucus or swelling at all. Some swell and bag and drip mucus for a couple of weeks.

The only thing that concerns me is that she's separated herself and hasn't any evidence of labor. In my experience a cow that seeks out a place to birth is beginning the process, and it's usually within hours. I think the advice to do an internal is a good idea.
As for the "signs", it's just been my experience with all cows. Sure some ain't as obvious as others.

Agree with your second paragraph mostly!
Tho I've noticed most signs around all my cows. I spend probly wayyy too much time with em. They all have their differences.

After "bumping" her and feeling a definite baby kicking around, I feel much better. But I still know she ain't right!!

Now I'm kind of worried the calf is stuck in there and her pelvic ain't big enough to birth a calf! O geez. Perhaps I worry too much!

What would a person be looking for on an internal examination/palpation that I don't already know?

Well.
Shes finally up and moving about. Nibbled a little here and there. Drank some water.

She is constantly holding her tail off. Occasionally she will kind of wince/strain like a labor pain?
She does have an udder, just not what I expect. And she does appear to be springing a bit this evening. No leaking yet.

I think I'm just worrying a LOT.

I sure appreciate everyone's thoughts!
Thank you guys

How much trouble is it for you to have a vet sleeve her? I agree that she's probably fine, but one thing I always worry about when a late gestation cow appears painful and goes off feed is a uterine torsion. It's much more common in dairy cattle than beef, though I don't usually see it in heifers. Very easy to diagnose for someone who has dealt with it before, but hard to explain to someone who hasn't had their arm in a lot of cows. Cows with a uterine torsion don't always bag up or dilate as much as expected, and people often don't realize they're in labor until it's way too late for a good outcome.

How much trouble is it for you to have a vet sleeve her? I agree that she's probably fine, but one thing I always worry about when a late gestation cow appears painful and goes off feed is a uterine torsion. It's much more common in dairy cattle than beef, though I don't usually see it in heifers. Very easy to diagnose for someone who has dealt with it before, but hard to explain to someone who hasn't had their arm in a lot of cows. Cows with a uterine torsion don't always bag up or dilate as much as expected, and people often don't realize they're in labor until it's way too late for a good outcome.
All the symptoms are there!
Every one of em. That's what I feel like. She's in labor but something ain't right.

Thank you so much. I'm on the horn first thing tomorrow morning to my vet to see if he's dealt with such a thing.

Just out of curiosity. How's It fixed?

All the symptoms are there!
Every one of em. That's what I feel like. She's in labor but something ain't right.

Thank you so much. I'm on the horn first thing tomorrow morning to my vet to see if he's dealt with such a thing.

Just out of curiosity. How's It fixed?
It depends. If she's in labor and dilated enough, your vet might be able to just reach in and flip it with their arm. If they aren't strong enough or can't get the right angle, they could chain the calf's feet to an instrument called a detorsion rod that they use to turn it. If she's not dilated or the twist is too tight to get an arm through, they might try rolling her. They might need to do a c-section. Different vets will have different preferences and results with different techniques.

Here's a video of some people rolling a water buffalo to fix a torsion.

Agree with Buck as I had one that had a torsion and they flipped her (rolled her over) and then wound up doing a c-section. It was not a good outcome, calf was dead when we finally got it out.... and she finally healed up and got sold... If I had figured it out sooner might have been better....Get the vet out.....

We had a torsion in a beef cow years ago. Exactly what you've described. Our vet at the time didn't feel comfortable doing a flip on a big beef cow so she opted for c-section. Calf was alive and did well. That was the first time I had seen/felt a torsion myself. Had I known more about them I would have opted on a flip instead of a c-section. All in all the cow raised a big steer and then we put her in the freezer. Definitely would have your cow checked if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.

I was thinking of this thread today while I worked on a cow with a uterine torsion....the suspense continues.

Vet was out of office today.
If she hasn't calved by tomorrow I'll be taking her in! I hope. Next closest is over 50 miles aside from sale barn Thursday.

Edited to add. Just checked on her as usual. Lots of activity in that belly of hers! But no water bag yet. Udder is still not big and tight and full.
I do feel a little better now that I seen typical goo this morning. The activity in her belly is encouraging too.

I couldn't even drop her off as the pens are full. And I don't think I could leave her there anyway without me be able to check on her. I'd surely go insane!

The calf could have been just repositioning its self and it made her uncomfortable. When they get close some of them just go off feed and such. That is not good as they can get a DA after delivering.... but some are prima donna's about being pregnant. The goo can mean she is a couple weeks out. She is not uddering up like a close up heifer normally does.

The calf could have been just repositioning its self and it made her uncomfortable. When they get close some of them just go off feed and such. That is not good as they can get a DA after delivering.... but some are prima donna's about being pregnant. The goo can mean she is a couple weeks out. She is not uddering up like a close up heifer normally does.
I agree Jan!
She should have more udder and more springy.
From what I've read, the signs I've seen are very indicative of torsion. Or like you said, she a darn drama queen!!

I also agree about the goo. I'm still waiting on brown cow. She had goo about a week ago. She's VERY springy today. But shes a couple days off yet still. Bag ain't filled on her. I know her very well. Her daughter too. Her daughter should be along any minute. She's Bagged already. I bet it's a bull!

What is a DA?

DA is displaced abomasum... can be either left or right... the stomach basically flips... a left one is easily corrected and it is somewhat common in dairy cattle... when they first calve there is a whole lot of "space" in there that the calf took up... and they can lay down and if not eating much... when they go and get up it can flop over inside... If it is a right one, it cuts off more of the vital organs and they need to be fixed "right now"... takes a bit for the muscles and all to get toned back up and a full stomach so that things stay in place as things "tighten up " inside...
beef cows don't get them near as much... I am sure @Buck Randall can better explain it.

DA is displaced abomasum... can be either left or right... the stomach basically flips... a left one is easily corrected and it is somewhat common in dairy cattle... when they first calve there is a whole lot of "space" in there that the calf took up... and they can lay down and if not eating much... when they go and get up it can flop over inside... If it is a right one, it cuts off more of the vital organs and they need to be fixed "right now"... takes a bit for the muscles and all to get toned back up and a full stomach so that things stay in place as things "tighten up " inside...
beef cows don't get them near as much... I am sure @Buck Randall can better explain it.
I think you explained it pretty well. Beef cows generally don't get DAs because they've usually got plenty of fiber in there rumen to hold things in place even if they go off feed for a day or two. Highly digestible dairy rations don't provide the same lasting rumen fill if things start to go wrong.

I think you explained it pretty well. Beef cows generally don't get DAs because they've usually got plenty of fiber in there rumen to hold things in place even if they go off feed for a day or two. Highly digestible dairy rations don't provide the same lasting rumen fill if things start to go wrong.
That makes good sense to me.
Opal has just been out on pasture past couple months. With hay available. And good loose mineral. They've really slowed down on the hay since grass came on tho. But started hitting the mineral hard since I quit feeding cubes coming out of winter. They've all got the squirts like They've been on wheat pasture. Well, not quite. But u get the idea.

Shes got hay and clean water now. I give her a bite or two of feed to work her up again for after calving. Just a taste.

I'm so glad to see her eating again! And full of pizza and vinegar! I'm still gonna check with my vet tmrw when he's back in.

And for whatever reason her belly looks "right" again.

Latest posts