Jersey Heifer Project

Help Support CattleToday:

So I'm worried a little. Kinda. But not terrible worried. Just some!
After seeing these last 2 calves from Big Sexy, poor Opal has a job to do getting one birthed. But at the same time, that mama and her daughter ALWAYS make big calves, so there's that....
But this newest one out of Rocket is HUGE!!
I got him banded and tagged but it wasn't without a fight. Gotta be pushing 100lbs. If I had the gumption I'd try n weigh him. Bit I'm just gonna keep fingers crossed the Jersey part of the equation will be sufficient.
Fingers 🤞
View attachment 28415View attachment 28416
Don't know why you're worried. @lithuanian farmer has all kinds of cows put 100+ pound calves on the ground without any trouble. Of course they probably don't use a lot of low birth weight and calving ease bulls over in Europe so they have capable cows.

Don't know why you're worried. @lithuanian farmer has all kinds of cows put 100+ pound calves on the ground without any trouble. Of course they probably don't use a lot of low birth weight and calving ease bulls over in Europe so they have capable cows.
Agreed.
@lithuanian farmer just posted about calving as 3 year olds as well.
Good big able bodied cows. Not 750lb jersey heifers. 🤣

There used to be lots n lots of folks who shot for calving heifers as 3 year olds. Now everyone wants a calf out of em at 24 months.

When I pen her up to watch her next month, I will be sure to keep a halter on her so I can hopefully assist if needed. I'm also hoping for a heifer calf. Heifer calves tend to run lighter anyway. Last year was heavy on heifers. This year seems heavy on bull calves.

Agreed.
@lithuanian farmer just posted about calving as 3 year olds as well.
Good big able bodied cows. Not 750lb jersey heifers. 🤣

There used to be lots n lots of folks who shot for calving heifers as 3 year olds. Now everyone wants a calf out of em at 24 months.

When I pen her up to watch her next month, I will be sure to keep a halter on her so I can hopefully assist if needed. I'm also hoping for a heifer calf. Heifer calves tend to run lighter anyway. Last year was heavy on heifers. This year seems heavy on bull calves.
Too much high protein feed. Bigger calves and bulls.

Too much high protein feed. Bigger calves and bulls.
I have wondered if I've overdone it this year on feeding these girls. But the hay I've fed thru winter was really poor. Some was 3 years old. I guess without a hay test tho, I've just been spitballing it anyway!

This cow and her 2 daughters I've kept always always make a big calf tho. So genetics are playing a big role in these 2 male calves. And the fact they are males and are generally bigger than a heifer baby anyway.

I feel a little better now....
A little

If I had the gumption I'd try n weigh him.
Here ya go! I'd get downright traumatized when I weighed a calf by holding it, getting on a scale, and watching the number jump dangerously close to a deuce. Plus, I have no business picking up a big calf (unless it's an emergency). Enter the Birthweight Hoofometer Tape! One side is to weigh heifers, the other side bulls.

When did Big Sexy first go in with her and when did you pull him out?
He broke in there on 2 different cycles. I've looked and looked trying to find the date I actually saw her leaking semen. I can't find it anywhere!
I THOUGHT I posted it on this thread but I sure can't find it.

Edit!
I just remembered where it's at!
It's in that thread about bulls breeding cows that have already been bred. I'm a go find it....

Edit again....
If her got her on the second cycle, which just about coincides with what the vet armed her at, she should be along about end of May!!

Big Sexy left here Christmas time. Every year.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can see end of May. She still needs to do a little more udder development... Not knowing her parentage, she may never develop a big udder pre-calving anyway. And, less edema then less likely she will have other problems... So, I would say another 2-3 weeks anyway before she is ready....

This is ODD
She don't look ready. She never lays there. Everyone else is out grazing. She wasn't interested in the bull being here. And I fed Eleanor inside the pen and she didn't even get up.

I'm watching her closely
20230520_183208(0).jpg20230520_183556.jpg
Edited to add.
Shes up!!
Omg. She looks awful slab sided!
20230520_184553.jpg
No goo.
She looks far from springing and bag is NOT tight.
20230520_184656.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes the calf moves around in there, and the baby bump disappears, but then it comes back. If her rumen wasn't full, it would stick out less anyway (the baby bump, I mean). After filling up on hay, she should pooch out on the right side again. I don't think she looks close to calving yet, just looking at her udder and vulva. They're both gonna get a LOT bigger. ;)

I agree @Lannie

They've got to get bigger! No way she's ready unless something bad has happened. No leakage either. Not eating. Restless. Likes to be up here by where I spent so much time with her. Her hips are protruding like crazy all of a sudden too!

Shes dang sure acting weird.

False pregnancy? Had a hound that did that.
Maybe the vet goofed. If the the bull was still around until Christmas time she
could calve in September.
I do hope she is okay.

False pregnancy? Had a hound that did that.
Maybe the vet goofed. If the the bull was still around until Christmas time she
could calve in September.
I do hope she is okay.
According to vets arm and my witnessing her bred, she should be due like now. Like any minute now. 😆

If something don't pop soon, we will be taking a trip Wednesday or Thursday for sure.

I just hope she's just being a Mopey Mommy

According to vets arm and my witnessing her bred, she should be due like now. Like any minute now. 😆

If something don't pop soon, we will be taking a trip Wednesday or Thursday for sure.

I just hope she's just being a Mopey Mommy
If she is that close dont haul her just glove up and see. Its easy to tell at 8 months without any training. But watch a YouTube if you dont feel comfortable with it.

Have you considered a metabolic disorder like ketosis ? My experience is that ketosis usually occurs
after they calve, but it might occur before. 🤷‍♀️

If she is that close dont haul her just glove up and see. Its easy to tell at 8 months without any training. But watch a YouTube if you dont feel comfortable with it.
I have no doubt she was bred. But if she aborted before I got her penned she should have a big bag o milk this far along I would think. She don't stink like she's got a dead calf either. Hmmm.
The palpation video I found was very helpful tho
Have you considered a metabolic disorder like ketosis ? My experience is that ketosis usually occurs
after they calve, but it might occur before. 🤷‍♀️
I've been googling all sorts of stuff like that too. She don't have stank breath.

Latest posts