Jersey Heifer Project

Help Support CattleToday:

A twist!
I was looking at pics from earlier and remembered this lil blonde bull calf that got a band at the sale before I brought him home. (Plumb forgot about him!)
He was with Opal for a day or two in December. Suppose he could've had one in the chamber? He's second from the left. Dumbo is 2nd from right.
That blonde/banded bull was definitely big enough! If she calves next month that may narrow it down. I sold him like 2 or 3 days after I bought him. Neighbor wanted another one to feed. I don't know what he was. Maybe limousine/brahma cross. He had some ear.
Screenshot_20220824-193724_Gallery.jpg

Our vet says they can do the deed for up to 2 weeks post surgical castration. Not sure on banding but I keep them separate for quite a while to be safe. Going to be interesting seeing the calf.

He still thinks he's got the goods! Always up for a little entertaining Nat' Geo.
🤣🤣these pics arent exactly of a jersey heifer but Nat Geo, Yes!😂😂 Angel kept following me around and i was like nope, not with Beefcake after her! Sumone bound to get injured. And the little fellar got pushed off pretty quickly...
Snapchat-1639505523.jpgSnapchat-394406908.jpg

I think if she were really in heat you'd see the fat heifer riding her. Nobody is perfect, but if the vet is calling open heifers 3-4 months bred, he'd have probably gotten booted from the sale barn by now.
She does that too. Didn't see her doing it today tho. Just resting her head on her rump. This was last time, September10th. This particular barn can't seem to get a vet to work for em since the ol man died a while back.
20220910_104220.jpg

The suspense is killing me!
I'm ready to get this gal to work!

O! And thanks for the FAT heifer comment. I hope she really does look fat. She got an appointment the 8th of next month. Sometimes I drool a lil thinking about a ribeye...

Last edited:
She does that too. Didn't see her doing it today tho. Just resting her head on her rump. This was last time, September10th. This particular barn can't seem to get a vet to work for em since the ol man died a while back.
View attachment 21828

The suspense is killing me!
I'm ready to get this gal to work!

O! And thanks for the FAT heifer comment. I hope she really does look fat. She got an appointment the 8th of next month. Sometimes I drool a lil thinking about a ribeye...
Can you do a quick tail stick and send off blood? Only takes 3-4 days to get results-$3-6 + shipping fee….

Can you do a quick tail stick and send off blood? Only takes 3-4 days to get results-$3-6 + shipping fee….
I've considered loading her up and taking her to the "real" vet. 😆
I just keep telling myself, nah your just overreacting....

@Buck Randall is it possible to mistake a freemartin for a bred animal? I've no idea, but would be curious to know.

I've considered loading her up and taking her to the "real" vet. 😆
I just keep telling myself, nah your just overreacting....

@Buck Randall is it possible to mistake a freemartin for a bred animal? I've no idea, but would be curious to know.
I suppose it's possible, but I wouldn't expect that mistake from anyone who was doing better than sticking their arm in the cow and guessing.

I'm about to start really working with this gal again. My biggest issue is she doesn't like her head being messed with aside from the occasional scratching of her poll. And that doesn't help much. Almost impossible to get the halter on after it's removed.

Seeking advice on that.

As well as a lil help with leading. She is somewhat controllable. But she likes to run ahead of me. I usually stop that by walking her In a few circles and we go again. Which isnt really "stopping" anything.

@Jeanne - Simme Valley any tips?
@Warren Allison
Anyone please! 😆

I have heard if I keep her head up high that stops that. A bit frustrating

However!
She stands tied fairly decent. And doesn't mind being brushed a bit. So there's that

I'm about to start really working with this gal again. My biggest issue is she doesn't like her head being messed with aside from the occasional scratching of her poll. And that doesn't help much. Almost impossible to get the halter on after it's removed.

Seeking advice on that.

As well as a lil help with leading. She is somewhat controllable. But she likes to run ahead of me. I usually stop that by walking her In a few circles and we go again. Which isnt really "stopping" anything.

@Jeanne - Simme Valley any tips?
@Warren Allison
Anyone please! 😆

I have heard if I keep her head up high that stops that. A bit frustrating

However!
She stands tied fairly decent. And doesn't mind being brushed a bit. So there's that
My best advice is to treat them like a cow and don't treat them like a pet. No reason to halter break a cow unless you are going to ride it, IMO.

My best advice is to treat them like a cow and don't treat them like a pet. No reason to halter break a cow unless you are going to ride it, IMO.
On the contrary!
It's sooooo nice to grab a lead rope and just walk the cow where ya want her in a situation like mine. I love loading a cow that way as well. Had a bull briefly I could load in the pasture or anywhere with a halter on. So much less effort required. No penning all of em up. Using feed to bring em ALL in then have to sort everyone off.

Also...
It helps to have the cow calm and tied to milk or work with em putting a calf on em if need be. I like to brush etc, to desensitize a bit. Helps keep kicking down as well. Tho I've not had that problem with her yet. No milk yet either.

Definitely has its advantages...

Latest posts