Jeanne - Simme Valley

Help Support CattleToday:

THANK YOU!! to everyone. It would be easy to bury my head - but life goes on & the cattle demand my attention. (and the dogs!)
We had a Memorial Service this past Saturday & the rest of the family left on Monday. So, I've been putsing around the farm. We had not done the fall work up yet, so I have friends coming next week if weather is decent.
I've sorted the cows into their winter groups. They are on full hay now. Been feeding hay along with pasture til now.
I have 46 breeding age cattle (7 have Sept calves on side) & 11 replacement heifers. I have always done the day to day caring of them, but I will need help with the major workups & weighing & tagging calves. Luckily I have a young man (raised on a farm) that has worked on our farm putting up our hay for maybe 10 years. He knows my tractor & fields & fencing. He did chores quite a bit for us this summer - between hospital stays & a few shows - moving cows to next pasture, feeding the showstring & taking care of the dogs. He is very reliable & capable.
The storm was a non-issue for us. We had some high winds & rain, but did not lose electricity. I was ready. My young friend, Ben, came & started up the generator to make sure it was in good shape & was prepared to come back in the morning to start it up & plug it in for me if we lost electricity.
This 2nd storm didn't get us either.

My deepest condolences Jeanne, to you, your family and all the folks who knew and loved him.

May you find comfort in his memories!

Hello Jeannie,

Sorry to hear about your husband. From reading your post here and seeing you in person a few times, I know that you're a strong person who can take care of your farm and cows on your own. I'm glad to see you're not quitting. Take care.

Thanks all.
I'm doing OK. Got cattle sorted into their groups for winter. Winterizing things around the farm.
I guess my biggest problem is I feel soooo bored.
Everyday, I planned everything around Ken getting home at 5pm. All week, looked forward to Friday - yippee weekend! now, every day is the same. Really hard to get motivated. Thank heaven for the demands of the cattle.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":20qagg77 said:
Thanks all.
I'm doing OK. Got cattle sorted into their groups for winter. Winterizing things around the farm.
I guess my biggest problem is I feel soooo bored.
Everyday, I planned everything around Ken getting home at 5pm. All week, looked forward to Friday - yippee weekend! now, every day is the same. Really hard to get motivated. Thank heaven for the demands of the cattle.
so sorry to read about your hubby jeanne.an i know itll be hard for you to get used to running the farm alone.but the goodthing is your used to working with the equipment.

Yeah, I always handled the day to day care of the cattle.
Sighted in my gun today. Ken had taken it in back in April & had it pulled apart & prof cleaned & had them put a TruGlo Open Sight on it for my birthday. To say the least I had not shot it since.
So, I got it out 2 days ago & shot at a 3 x 3' cardboard 5 times. Hit the bottom 1" twice :shock:
So, I brought it back to the gunsmith & they bore sighted it in for me.
I had to raise it about 10" but we're good now. They just allowed rifles in our county this year, but I'll stick with my 20 ga Remington 1100 LT. We've killed a few deer together. I'm comfortable with it.

Been thinking about you a lot Jeanne . It is so nice to see you post again and offer helpful information to everyone. I hope your days are getting better. Prayers and hugs :heart:

Quote by a friend, Cheryl Eighmey: "We lost a very dear friend last night. He ...and his devoted wife....fought a very courageous and dignified battle against a disease that is anything but courageous and dignified. Somewhere in heaven there is a tall...handsome cowboy...dressed in a brightly colored shirt...brightly colored belt with a colored beaded key chain...probably wearing red or yellow underwear....but definitely wearing the biggest smile ever...and he will tell you he is feeling FABULOUS!. Rest in peace my friend ...I will miss you always....say hello to Dad...and Paul...and my parents for me...going to raise a can of Bush beer tonight in your honor....and your memory...."

Ken's brother, Wayne White of Kansas, recently published a book and the dedication was: ""This book is dedicated to my brother, Kenneth V. White. His courage and optimism in the most difficult of circumstances is a source of lasting inspiration".

The Dash Poem, by Linda Ellis
I read of a man who stood to speak
At the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
From the beginning to the end.
He noted that first came the date of her birth
And spoke of the following date with tears,
But he said what mattered most of all
Was the dash between those years.
For that dash represents all the time
That she spent alive on earth
And now only those who loved her
Know what that little line is worth.
For it matters not, how much we own,
The cars, the house, the cash,
What matters is how we live and love
And how we spend our dash.
So think about this long and hard;
Are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left
That can still be rearranged.
If we could just slow down enough
To consider what's true and real
And always try to understand
The way other people feel.
And be less quick to anger
And show appreciation more
And love the people in our lives
Like we've never loved before.
If we treat each other with respect
And more often wear a smile,
Remembering that this special dash
Might only last a little while.
So when your eulogy is being read
With your life's actions to rehash
Would you be proud of the things they say
About how you spent your dash?

Jeanne - I know I'm terribly late in saying, this and forgive me for doing so, but I wish to offer my late condolences to you and your family for your loss. God bless you and, hang in there, things only get so bad before they start going good again. :)

Thanks. I'm doing OK. Days are long and boring - but, I'm starting my fall AI breeding now. Always something to keep busy doing. Just finished my NY Simmental newsletter - sent it out email & it's at the printers for hard copies.

Latest posts