Big valley chute

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a Big Valley Chute and am really happy with it. I bought the XL silencer and it will hold anything. It will adjust very easily from the floor without tools, as you bring in larger, wide standing animals. But as the size of the neck changes, you must bring out the socket set and a wrench to change the lower setting on the head gate to get a tighter fit. I change my head gate to three levels: calves/ cows / bulls.

The bulls necks are so big that the head gate will not hold their heads, so one thing that you must have, is a bar to place behind them as they step into the head gate I think most have this problem now, (unless a skinny necked bull is in the chute) as I see this in other barns. If they offer this bar as a separate purchase make sure you get it. I saw a bar from another company that had a rubber bicycle handle, and a large circle stop to keep the rod from going all the way through the other side. The head gate has adjustable bars that will let you set them close to the head of the animal to keep him from swinging his head towards you and knocking you out of the way as you work.

I bought the trailer, and give it an F. I have had my chute and trailer for 3 years, and hopefully they have changed the design of the trailer. It is a tremendous chore to get the trailer and chute together. It takes a lot of beating, knocking, and hammering. Be sure that the chute slides effortlessly on the trailer, otherwise, do not take it home. It was not cheap!!!
The cattle cannot go through the head gate; they must go out the side gates. On the Silencer XL, both sides of the chute will open if you need to place the chute in different situations.

I looked at all the other chutes within 75 miles, and this was the best chute for me. I would purchase it again. The trailer; no. My husband has a Powder River XL at his farm.
Chuckie

Thanks Chuckie. I just bought a M1 silencer. Bought it used but in very good shape, can't find anything wrong with it at all. I got a package deal on it,a crowding tub and chute. Just started moving it today so I have not actually used it yet but I am very sure that I am going to like it.

Nothing like getting a really good deal and then getting to tell a friend about it. Ha-ha-ha!!! I don't have the sweep tub and the alley way that they make. A friend sells an equal quality set up, so I purchased that. I hope you enjoy your new work toy.
Chuckie

Latest posts