JD M Series and E Series

Help Support CattleToday:

To big for my purposes have a 6430 and it's fairly unhandy for most needed uses. Pulling tobacco wagons mostly and small square baler at times.

My 5085E is growling in 3rd. I think I push too hard for E series.
Priced a leased 6130M w FEL for 139K...
Thinking about a 5M to get the 540/1000 rpm PTO. Any weak points to consider?

Only complaint with mine is that there is to much space between 4b and 1c in the trans. That is where 90% of your work gets done and there needs to be a gear ( or 2) in the middle to really hit the sweet spot. A power shift version rather than the straight 16 spd. may fix that. I haven't ever run one to find out. I dont have any experience with 1000 pto either on one but do use the 540e on mine some rolling light hay or clipping light pasture. Otherwise it is alot of tractor for the money. You will see a good bit more power in the motor ( more torque same hp.) and hydraulics than a comparable E series I think.

It is more tractor than my 5-25 series tractor and they are a little more tractor than an E series for what that is worth.

That 6130M would be a stout tractor but that is a pretty stout price to go with it.

Only complaint with mine is that there is to much space between 4b and 1c in the trans. That is where 90% of your work gets done and there needs to be a gear ( or 2) in the middle to really hit the sweet spot. A power shift version rather than the straight 16 spd. may fix that. I haven't ever run one to find out. I dont have any experience with 1000 pto either on one but do use the 540e on mine some rolling light hay or clipping light pasture. Otherwise it is alot of tractor for the money. You will see a good bit more power in the motor ( more torque same hp.) and hydraulics than a comparable E series I think.

It is more tractor than my 5-25 series tractor and they are a little more tractor than an E series for what that is worth.

That 6130M would be a stout tractor but that is a pretty stout price to go with it.
Our 6120 E has the 24/12 hi-lo. I was trying to find the Trans data sheet but the gears are pretty tight.

Our 6120 E has the 24/12 hi-lo.
Looked at Tractor data for 6120E (Mexico made) and 6120M (Germany made). Tractors are very different. Not sure what JD is doing here. E showed more wt, more hp, less wheelbase, less $... I was quoted U$S 50,000 less for the E.

Last edited:
I have a 5083E that I have been happy with. Pulls my 15 ft HX15 batwing brush hog well. It is fwd with fel. Pushing 3000 hours now and no major issues.

Looked at Tractor data for 6120E (Mexico made) and 6120M (Germany made). Tractors are very different. Not sure what JD is doing here. E showed more wt, more hp, less wheelbase, less $... I was quoted U$S 50,000 less for the E.
I'm not sure all the differences but it is quite a bit more tractor. The 5115M is like #10K and a 6120E is #15K.

I've done some stuff with the 5000 tractors. They have plenty of power for most of what I do but some times you can tell you are close on weight with equipment like a batwing or disk or some thing. You can feel it moving you around. There is none of that with that 6000 series. I can tear some stuff up because you don't even know some of that equipment is back there.

20210825_143325.jpg

I'm not sure all the differences but it is quite a bit more tractor. The 5115M is like #10K and a 6120E is #15K.

I've done some stuff with the 5000 tractors. They have plenty of power for most of what I do but some times you can tell you are close on weight with equipment like a batwing or disk or some thing. You can feel it moving you around. There is none of that with that 6000 series. I can tear some stuff up because you don't even know some of that equipment is back there.

View attachment 24012
Thats a good looking tractor. It would be hard to beat for a good sized hay/cattle operation.

The only reason I stick to the M and 5-25 series tractors over the E is the E-Hitch. I have one specific application that it is priceless for and love having external controls when hooking up.

My 5085E is very handy but can struggle abit with a 10' discbine or 4x5 balage.
A new Holland 1411 will kill my 5085 at times when you kick on the pro. The 5100 handles it fine pretty much the same tractor just more horses in the 5100. 3000+ on the 85 and around 1300 on the 5100e. The 12/24 trans in the 5100 is great for hay work. I'm really considering adding another 5100.

View attachment 24012
Nice tractor.
What did the third function cost you??

Nice tractor.
What did the third function cost you??
I can't remember exactly. We added it with buttons on joystick and a buddy seat. For some reason $2800 for both is sticking in my head. Think buddy seat was around $600.

What ever it was it was the best money every spent. Having a grapple on the tractor has paid for itself multiple times over.

Suppose to be able to run a post hole digger up front but haven't tried it yet.

I can't remember exactly. We added it with buttons on joystick and a buddy seat. For some reason $2800 for both is sticking in my head. Think buddy seat was around $600.

What ever it was it was the best money every spent. Having a grapple on the tractor has paid for itself multiple times over.

Suppose to be able to run a post hole digger up front but haven't tried it yet.
You can or a post driver.
You can actually do all the above without third function. It's just a bit awkward. And you need hoses long enough to reach the rear remotes.
I've got the grapple on my 5100 now and we use it on a 5085 as well. Seems about right. I think they quoted me around 2000.00 to add it to the 85. Getting close to trading that tractor so I passed.

Latest posts