JD M Series and E Series

Help Support CattleToday:

Soggy Bottom

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a used tractor in the 80-100 hp range and I think I am going to buy a JD. I am wondering what the differences are in the M series and the E series. I see the M series is a heavier tractor but is there any other big differences. Tractor will mainly be used for disking and planting oats and moving hay. I put around 200 hours a year on a tractor. Thanks for the input.

Soggy Bottom said:
I am looking at buying a used tractor in the 80-100 hp range and I think I am going to buy a JD. I am wondering what the differences are in the M series and the E series. I see the M series is a heavier tractor but is there any other big differences. Tractor will mainly be used for disking and planting oats and moving hay. I put around 200 hours a year on a tractor. Thanks for the input.

The M series is heavier but also designed for higher performance. They have more production and crop related accessories. I have a 5083E. To move up you go to the 6000 models.

A lot of the M is made in the USA and the E is made in India. A neighbor has both and both have been good, but the M is a much nicer tractor all the way around according to him. The M will cost more so I would think 200 hours a year either will work great.

jltrent said:
A lot of the M is made in the USA and the E is made in India. A neighbor has both and both have been good, but the M is a much nicer tractor all the way around according to him. The M will cost more so I would think 200 hours a year either will work great.

4 cylinder E models are made in Augusta Georgia, 3 cylinder E models are made in India. All M series are made in Georgia. I have a 5100E and it is a good size tractor for a small Beef operation. It spends most of it's time hooked to 4x5 baler or an 8ft bush hog. It handles both of these quite well on steep ground.

hillbilly beef man said:
jltrent said:

4 cylinder E models are made in Augusta Georgia, 3 cylinder E models are made in India. All M series are made in Georgia. I have a 5100E and it is a good size tractor for a small Beef operation. It spends most of it's time hooked to 4x5 baler or an 8ft bush hog. It handles both of these quite well on steep ground.
I have and older JD 5210 that has Made in Mexico stamped all over certain parts of the tractor.

[/quote]

I'm looking at getting into a 5 series m jd. I've been trying to decide if a 5100 would be enough or if I'd be happier with a 5115. I'm like you and would mostly be running a 5x6 roller and disc mower with it. Do you ever find yourself wishing you'd have gone with a few more horses or does the 5100 do everything you want it to?

I have a 5085m 2400 hrs usually 500 a year will be more this year. Things m has over e external cylinders on lift arms, a semi frame rail along side motor, e just has motor like a cnh, but it does not have rail like a 6000 series. On ones few years old a flatter floor.
Mine wears a 200 gallon tank on front and a tobacco setter on back all of may and june. One of the big reasons i went with the m was the frame rails. As this is obviously very stressful on this size tractor. Rest of year it is used for sidedessing liquid uan. And in fall it pulls loads of tobacco everyday. Winter used around shop moving loads of tobacco. It's a open station mwd i really like wish it had a power shift. We really use it and hasnt broke down yet.
The only bad is it's loud and you really feel the heat from floor and motor. And it does not have a horn. Wish i could afford a pair of them. Mine is spread out for 40 inch rows and handles and turns great to be all spread out.

If you really crawl all over it i would say assembled in usa. If you have the coin they have a 5r now. Got in one AT dealership sweet.

DCB4 said:

I'm looking at getting into a 5 series m jd. I've been trying to decide if a 5100 would be enough or if I'd be happier with a 5115. I'm like you and would mostly be running a 5x6 roller and disc mower with it. Do you ever find yourself wishing you'd have gone with a few more horses or does the 5100 do everything you want it to?
[/quote]
I am happy with the power for my use. My baler is a 504 vermeer though, so it is quite a bit smaller than yours. But I am pulling it in hills that i have to keep the tractor in 4x4 to make it up them and it still has enough power, so you might still be fine if you are in gentler slopes.

I am sure you have looked here. I have a 5085E with 1,000 hours

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/007/7/6/7760-john-deere-5085e.html

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/005/8/0/5803-john-deere-5085m.html

John Deere now uses E, M, and R to classify their tractors, similar to how truck manufacturers do. It is like comparing an f150 custom to a king ranch.

The E series is the economy version, M is mid level, and R is the premium. A lot of tbe differences being listed in this thread are just differences in individual model tractors. E, M, and R also do not indicate where tractors are manufactured across John Deere's entire line. My 6110M, which is a 4cyl, was made in Germany.

E series are know to eat starters under heavy use.
E series have small fuel filters that plugs easily.
An issue with small turbo engines is their power is rated at a high rpm and they have little lugging power. Should be able to get power curves from Nebraska tractor test to compare models. Rumor is running alot at high rpm results in about a 5,000 hr E engine life.

Stocker Steve said:
E series have a small single fuel filter that plugs easily.
An issue with small turbo engines is their power is rated at a high rpm and they have little lugging power. Should be able to get power curves from Nebraska tractor test. Rumor is running alot at high rpm results in about a 5,000 hr E engine life.

E series over 75 hp use the larger 4 cyl engine and dual fuel filters.

callmefence said:
Stocker Steve said:
E series have a small single fuel filter that plugs easily.
An issue with small turbo engines is their power is rated at a high rpm and they have little lugging power. Should be able to get power curves from Nebraska tractor test. Rumor is running alot at high rpm results in about a 5,000 hr E engine life.

E series over 75 hp use the larger 4 cyl engine and dual fuel filters.

I know my 5083E has a 4 cyl and 2 in line fuel filters ( one at the tank and one up at the radiator) plus the fuel filter/water separator. If you count that, it has 3.

I am running a 5100M. Has been a great tractor so far with about 1600hrs on it. Most of the differences have been hit on already. The M runs a little higher torque so even at equal HP the power is better on an M. A 5x6 baler in flat country would probably be ok not sure in big hills it would be what you want. Mowing, feeding, pulling a 4x5 baler, and just a general chore tractor it is hard to beat and very comfortable to run for a long day. A little better hydraulics on an M as well. You get what you pay for if you can swing it you won't regret an M. If you can't I don't think you will be disappointed in an E. A 5625 if it was in good shape is great tractor as well. It is basically a blend of the E and M series.

Thanks for the info. I found a 95M down the road with 2300 hours that was a trade in. Any particular issues I should look for when I test drive it? From the pictures it looks to be in pretty shape.

I have a 5425 and the 5085M replaced my model. M series is a heavier built tractor compared to the E series. I picked up a 5x6 bale with my bale squeeze and nothing on the 3pt with my 5425. I dont think an E series would have done that.

The M series was pre-emissions up to 2012 so considered that when looking at used.

Latest posts