JD M Series and E Series

Help Support CattleToday:

I run a 5100m at work. Put about 2400 hours on it since we got it new in '15. It'll be fine for moving hay and discing with a 10-12' disc. If you ever think you'll want to try and plow I'd get something a bit bigger. I've been trying to work some fields over with a 10' chisel and it's hard on that size tractor

Used an E Series for the first time at lunch today. It was for a guy I bale for and he is cutting while I am at work. I made 2 passes around each section before coming back to the office. The E Series cab does not compare at all to the cab of my 5425 which was replaced by the 5085M. My cab feels bigger and seems bigger too. The SCV levers are up on the console on my 5425 vs the E Series is down by the seat. The E Series didn't have float function on both rear remotes. Only had float on #1. The 540/540E lever is a push pull knob behind the seat. I have an actual shift lever next to the PTO lever.

Now I know why the E Series is a cheap, it certainly is a cheaper tractor and not built like the M series.

MudHog said:
Used an E Series for the first time at lunch today. It was for a guy I bale for and he is cutting while I am at work. I made 2 passes around each section before coming back to the office. The E Series cab does not compare at all to the cab of my 5425 which was replaced by the 5085M. My cab feels bigger and seems bigger too. The SCV levers are up on the console on my 5425 vs the E Series is down by the seat. The E Series didn't have float function on both rear remotes. Only had float on #1. The 540/540E lever is a push pull knob behind the seat. I have an actual shift lever next to the PTO lever.

Now I know why the E Series is a cheap, it certainly is a cheaper tractor and not built like the M series.

I have the size bigger a 5525. I really like it but have always though it was a bit lite in the rear end. I have fluid in the tires plus wheel weights which help.

Those 5425/5525 are great tractors. I have a 5325 which is nice but that 5 cyl. motor is a gutless turd. Wish I had bought the 5425. That 4 cyl. has worlds more power.

Cab layout on the 25/M series Deere makes a big difference that people discount til you run one for hours. That e-hitch with the one click up and down is priceless to me when seed drilling this time of year.

My 5075E burned last night. It was plugged in and when I open the shed door the tractor was in flames... Saved the new 40 x 64 shed but there is alot of smoke damage to the contents.

I need a feeding and haying tractor that can handle 5x6s. Looked online today for low hour 4 cylinder FEL E series. There are a few available in MN and WS. Is there any advantage to moving up to the JD 6100 series?

Sent you a pm as well before I saw this. 6100 is a lot more tractor frame wise which on 5x6s might be nice. Also bigger tires, taller stance also good up there in drift country. Motor and hydraulics would spec close to an M I would think. The older Dmodels were more of the E series fit and finish cab wise.

6000 series will be a good jump size wise, weight wise, cab size, etc.

If you haul your tractor alot on a trailer, staying the 5000 series might be better.

Look at the 5425 or 5085M or similar in what hp you want. The M replaced the 5X25 model which I have.

The 6 series will handle the workload a lot better. STAY away from the D models.

It looks like JD added DEF, increased the tire sizes, and retuned the same engine to provide about 4 more hp - - to convert a 5085E to the 5090E. Where is the beef?

Little added opinion on the E series,, on another post, I had asks for input on the Case IH Farmall 100C I just purchased. I got no response. But, I'm good friends with my John Deere salesman he had me look at the 5100E and 5100M before this purchase. In my opinion the 5100E wasn't comparable with the Case IH but the 5100M was, along with a bigger price tag. All the farmers I know around who are JD people even told me to steer clear of the E. I didn't really ask why or if I did I forgot what they said. FYI, I traded my 75 hp New Holland on this 100C, it was the first of many tractors I've owned that wasn't green, I,ve got 4 restored 2 lungers in my shop. B&G

Take a look at the 5095M apples to oranges compared to the 5090E in regards to cab size, features, etc. The M will also be heavier built too.

Looked at several E models on Tractor House last night. Many many units with less than 1000 hours, and few with over 2000 hours. Must be light duty occasional use for most owners.

Stocker Steve said:
MudHog said:
Take a look at the 5095M apples to oranges compared to the 5090E in regards to cab size, features, etc. The M will also be heavier built too.

Seems like the Ms are sold south and west from here.

Interesting. I would stay away from the E Series if at all possible. Even look for an older 5X25 series.

The E series is a much lesser built tractor. Lighter, smaller cab, I rode in a 5085E last year and it does not compare to my 5425 (replaced by the 5085M). The E didn't have float detent on both valves, the remote levers were on the side the seat vs up on the fender. The 540E was a push pull lever like some 4wd actuators are vs an actual shift lever next to the PTO lever.

Stocker Steve said:
Looked at 5090E and 6110 lease returns today. Would have to expand if I bought the 6000 series...

Gotta look the part if your gonna be a BTO! Making money is for people who don't know how to farm. How do the numbers look on summertime stockers and winter hunting and ice fishing?

I am still recovering from a feeding addiction. :nod: Made one fall leaf n fishing trip to up to Aaron's area. Good trip, met him for dinner one night, and made it back before the monsoon started again. Planned 3 trips to the Dakotas - - got sick on one and got blown out by a blizzard on one, so not great. Planned two early ice trips to Upper Red - - made one good trip and canceled one due to -24 temps.

Seems like climate change is messing up our falls? May need to just sit in a nice cab tractor...

Latest posts