Its hot

Help Support CattleToday:

My plans are always subject to change when I get new information, but I like to understand the new information. Why keep the four or five old cows over the winter?
Vette nailed it .So when I bring in a new bunch there is a core of establishment girls that isn't crazy. They are bucket trained to pen.
Secondly I really like these cows.

Vette nailed it .So when I bring in a new bunch there is a core of establishment girls that isn't crazy. They are bucket trained to pen.
Secondly I really like these cows.

That makes sense. So how do you get those four or five old cows bred if you don't keep a bull?

It has to go somewhere...so i believe it.
Dare I say we are starting to think we have had enough of this rain. This topic is a vivid reminder that the opposite is not real palatable. "There's money in mud, no money in dust".
I hope you get relief soon. I can deal with "average".

Ken

West wind is a curse, need SE to bring moisture in.
My crystal ball says keep four or five older girls, buy heavies SS in the spring and sell off in September. Run residents on stockpiled forage. Buy each spring according to conditions.
That plan sounds like what everyone should do. If everyone is doing the same thing, won't that result in expensive calves in the spring and low prices when you need to sell? BTW- That's exactly what I am doing right now. I think I paid a fair price for the calves. I don't plan to put any more into them than is absolutely necessary. I may fertilize in June, if there is any hope of rain. I am hoping for a fair price at the sale in September.

Meanwhile in Kansas . . . .
View attachment 17950
It has been kinda cold here the last few days. We are supposed to get up to about 77 today, but it is breezy. I had to put on my winter coat this morning when I went out to change water; it was a little cold riding that ATV, and didn't keep my hands in the water very long when cleaning out the water wheel, that water was cold. It got a lick and a promise, and more promises than licks this morning.

It has been kinda cold here the last few days. We are supposed to get up to about 77 today, but it is breezy. I had to put on my winter coat this morning when I went out to change water; it was a little cold riding that ATV, and didn't keep my hands in the water very long when cleaning out the water wheel, that water was cold. It got a lick and a promise, and more promises than licks this morning.
Little jealous! But I won't be once winter hits.

The high was about 60 the last two days. Around 70 today and forecast to be 80 Thursday and Friday. Rain again over the weekend.

Latest posts