Its hot

Help Support CattleToday:

It's too early for all this. 110-113 heat index down here depending on where you are... in MID JUNE! šŸ˜”

... no rain in sight
Boy AM I "with you" with no rain in sight. There's a good possibility this year May 15th to September 15th....will be 4 months no rain, only an evaporative trace. Well there's one good thing about Texas...wood on homes, wooden decks, wood fencing....anything wood wise last 4 times longer in Texas....can't rot if it's not wet. Texas (not the coastal areas) has the best no rust vehicles. I've seen non-pressured treated wooden fences built in the 1930's near homes and half of it is still standing upright only slight rot on bottom touching the ground.

I may be feeding hay soon if we don't get some rain
It it sad...the only good thing is my cattle are now eating the (weeds)... lambs-quarter (lots of that), small sunflowers (almost extinct now), giant rag-weed (almost extinct now too) and young sticky plants...don't know the name they make those bur-balls that get caught in their fur. My land is looking really good transformed by the cattle...nice grasses....just needs rain badly. The only plants I wish they would eat are the golden rods and milk weeds....I'm hand-cutting removing them.

Oof!!
And OOF!

You got a bit more rain than us. Gonna be miserable outside today!
Just got back from 'Bama and going through OK on the way was nothing but torrential storms (and you have the worst roads EVER!). Coming back, we still saw a lot of standing water.

Wanna talk about our roads on the ranch? You know, the ones that washed out and now $$$$ of gravel is in the trenches & pastures. Quality time grading with the Speed Mover is on the to-do list.

We have been abnormally wet for the last 8 weeks or so. Finally warmed up to the lows in the 40's and highs in the 70's. I think we have only had 3 days into the 80's. Middle of June and things are still green and growing here on the high desert. From early December until mid April it was looking real bad. During that time lots of cows were sold. Now those people are wishing they had bought instead of selling.

Boy, I read the temps some of you are experiencing and I thank my ancestors again for having the sense to go North. Doesn't seem like man nor beast should survive it. Crazy.

We haven't had a run off rain since Oct, again. Just like last year.

Hate to say it but it's going to take a tropical storm or small hurricane to bail us out. These temps have every thing burned up.

. . . and the high wind almost every day isn't helping. We've been lucky the last few years. The local TV station said that when we hit 100Ā° a few days ago it broke a streak of over 600 days with it not hitting triple digits, but it looks like that's all over.

I got the first cutting of hay up last week, but it's not coming back until we get some rain. If we don't I'm going to sell out. I'm not going through another winter of feeding sack feed to stretch hay like I did in 2011.

. . . and the high wind almost every day isn't helping. We've been lucky the last few years. The local TV station said that when we hit 100Ā° a few days ago it broke a streak of over 600 days with it not hitting triple digits, but it looks like that's all over.

I got the first cutting of hay up last week, but it's not coming back until we get some rain. If we don't I'm going to sell out. I'm not going through another winter of feeding sack feed to stretch hay like I did in 2011.
Same here rafter. I'm at about 30 percent right now. 26 young pairs and 2 young bulls that I kept after selling down for my surgery.
After moving hot fence to graze the edges of precious hay ground yesterday I pretty much made the decision to sell them all. Not going to make that mistake again. Might buy me some goats to run in the cedar. Got some pretty nice first calf pairs ... just sayin šŸ˜Š

Same here rafter. I'm at about 30 percent right now. 26 young pairs and 2 young bulls that I kept after selling down for my surgery.
After moving hot fence to graze the edges of precious hay ground yesterday I pretty much made the decision to sell them all. Not going to make that mistake again. Might buy me some goats to run in the cedar. Got some pretty nice first calf pairs ... just sayin šŸ˜Š

If I wind up selling out I plan to buy some old long bred cows and/or light calves next spring, turn them out on grass, and sell them all in the fall when the grass gets short. Repeat each year as long as my health and my want-to holds out.

West wind is a curse, need SE to bring moisture in.
My crystal ball says keep four or five older girls, buy heavies SS in the spring and sell off in September. Run residents on stockpiled forage. Buy each spring according to conditions.

West wind is a curse, need SE to bring moisture in.
My crystal ball says keep four or five older girls, buy heavies SS in the spring and sell off in September. Run residents on stockpiled forage. Buy each spring according to conditions.

My plans are always subject to change when I get new information, but I like to understand the new information. Why keep the four or five old cows over the winter?

NE WY. Some areas around us are getting showers. We aren't. We haven't had moisture since Memorial weekend. It has stayed relatively cool, but this week it is warming up. Calling for 98 degrees on Friday, 94 on Saturday and 85 on Sunday. Too hot for June in Wyoming. The country looks good, but not much irrigating going on. Not sure why, except we haven't been able to because of problems with the main ditch.

Belle Fourche and Phillip SD areas got hit with hail the size of baseballs. Did a lot of damage in a big area. Phillip got hit both Saturday and Sunday evenings.

Wish everyone who needs it, gets rain.

Latest posts