It's expensive

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm":26hl1mle said:
Bigfoot":26hl1mle said:
Having another Ag Economic cattle thread running right now, reminded me of this one.

Had another high dollar day:
Paid for 6 tons of feed
Bought 10 50lb bags of feed
Bought 6 more 2 1/2 gallon jugs of 2 four D
15 more fence post
About 80 gallons of diesel......I need a bigger tank, all these trips get old
4 safe guard worming blocks-----Cheaper ways to worm, but it's too hot for all that.
Farrier came today, and put shoes on 4 head. Not exactly cow related, but the money was green.

Do the safe guard blocks really work?
Shy of doing a fecal test, I'm ashamed to say I don't know. Buying them on the gut instinct that some calves I've bought needed wormed again, may be why I don't make any money. I have used them, and swore that I could see calves turn around. I can't prove a radical statement like that though. The active ingredient fenbendawhatever does work. I do know that.

Bigfoot":jfpgfqi8 said:
Having another Ag Economic cattle thread running right now, reminded me of this one.

Paid for 6 tons of feed
15 more fence post
4 safe guard worming blocks-----Cheaper ways to worm, but it's too hot for all that.
Farrier came today, and put shoes on 4 head. Not exactly cow related, but the money was green.
Trading dollars. What do you think about all these greenies saying you can get by with no feed, fertilizer, spray, and limited hay? Do you think lowering stocking rate to accomplish this would affect the bottom line positively? I ponder it at times while I'm paying big bills also...

RanchMan90":kvsmcgts said:
Bigfoot":kvsmcgts said:

Paid for 6 tons of feed
15 more fence post
Trading dollars. What do you think about all these greenies saying you can get by with no feed, fertilizer, spray, and limited hay? Do you think lowering stocking rate to accomplish this would affect the bottom line positively? I ponder it at times while I'm paying big bills also...

I wonder the same thing myself. I put myself to sleep most nights thinking about cutting back. Not to get out of the work necessarily, just mulling over would it financially make more sense. I bring a lot of hay in, so I can graze more. The hay is junk, so I supplement. Lots of dollar trading going on here on my place. Plus, I've got just enough cows running around here, that I come in to a different head ache every afternoon. Less cows, less expense, less headaches. My fixed cost stay the same wether I have 40 cows, or 120. I guess that's what keeps me from doing it.

RanchMan90":33z7wmeg said:

More inputs can pay off when commodity prices are high. Seems like there are 3 to 4 high priced years in a 10 to 12 year price cycle. Problem is some folks an get into high input high stocking rate habits and are not able to adjust when prices drop. Hate to buy stuff and be wrong 75% of the time.

Experts talk about having a group of cattle that go when there is weather drought. Same topic applies when there is an economic drought. Market is telling us they want less beef. Ideally you have something else to produce that is profitable and still covers the overhead.

Optimizing stocking rate can get to be complicated because you are messing with both lb/acre and lb/head/day over multiple seasons. I think you may be best off with an outline of a plan, then measure weights and forage periodically to help know when to pull the trigger.

I cut my cow herd 27% and increased number of yearlings. Overall stocking rate is down about 15%. Planning to do more backgrounding this fall. Very much a work in progress.

Bigfoot":32h8ts27 said:
pricefarm":32h8ts27 said:
Bigfoot":32h8ts27 said:

Paid for 6 tons of feed
15 more fence post

Do the safe guard blocks really work?
Shy of doing a fecal test, I'm ashamed to say I don't know. Buying them on the gut instinct that some calves I've bought needed wormed again, may be why I don't make any money. I have used them, and swore that I could see calves turn around. I can't prove a radical statement like that though. The active ingredient fenbendawhatever does work. I do know that.

I use them on pastures were we don't have good pens. And sometime at home between ivomec. I don't have any hard evidence but I do believe I've seen improvements after using them. The obvious knock against them is no dosage control. And price

I read the threads on the economics of raising cattle but rarely post. I wonder how many users who don't post such as guests, read these threads and wonder why anyone has cows?
:???:

I think in any business while it's important to know what your doing the real key is learning how to make money at it. Two different things.
A person can be quite good at something but never be able to find the money.
It's the thing that typically determines whether they are employers vs employees.

Bright Raven":2ah4lva5 said:
I read the threads on the economics of raising cattle but rarely post. I wonder how many users who don't post such as guests, read these threads and wonder why anyone has cows?
:???:
Better for them to learn here than with hard earned dollars. They're gonna have to do it a little different than "everybody else" to capture a profit.

i bought nuttin but some baling twine at a yard sale and tobacca sticks to fence my cows in.. runnin them on my neighbors place on my side of the creek.. where he can't use or see!

thats how you make money boys! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

If you'll only expense necessities through the cow, your cost to carry could be comparable as well. Best thing most folks could do is sell all their machinery and invest those funds in fencing and forage.

Draper, I get your point and even agree to a point. But when it is more rented land, or land that you get for nothing so the owners can get their land use tax breaks, there is no way we are putting money into fences that we aren't guaranteed to have more than that year. Many places come with both pastures that the fences are "wished there" and totally unfenced fields that are used for hay. So many do not have any water. I am not sinking 15,000 into a well and such without a deed in my name. It is figured here through the county extension and ag groups, and talking to many of the graziers here, that the minimum cost to keep a cow is at the low end 275. to high of 500. per head. If you own the land outright, then you still need to expense the taxes and upkeep through the cows. Otherwise, why have the land? Most of our rents run about 10./acre per year when you average them all out. Have a 28 acre place that is 1000 per year and a 90 acre place that is 1000 a year. Several we don't pay for and a couple that we pay 200./month for but they are crossed fenced, waterers, and improvements. Several we get to keep equipment in the barns or sheds.

Thing is there will always be the ones around here that want to own a piece of the country.... buying 20-50 acre "estates" that they have no intention to farm, don't know diddly squat about it and want it kept up so they can "Look out over their land". These we get for nothing and make some okay to pretty decent pasture/native grass hay. Sometimes it may not be worth the fuel but if they are next door to a presently rented farm then there is next to no cost to transport the hay back to the farm. On good years we have left over...on drought years we have been saved from buying expensive hay and been able to make it. We sell enough small square bales of orchardgrass ( 2-3,000) and about 100-150 rolls of hay per year to offset quite a bit of the cost of making the hay to feed ours. There are several graziers here and they do pretty well. One said on a "pasture walk" seminar on his farm that the first thing you need when you get serious about grazing, is a barn full of hay for insurance....and I have never forgotten that. If it dries up as it did in the southeast and in the Texas areas, those dried up pastures can't grow and feed a cow so that hay we are making will keep us going.

Another big week in fuel and breakdowns. Been over the same 45 acres about 4 times makin hay. 6 tons of feed, and paid a guy roll 115 rolls. A $175 rural king trip all farm related, but some may not charge it off that way. Oh, and 4 more gallons of grazon next. I wish these guys carrying a pair for $150 a year would put on a clinic. It'd save me money to buy their secret.

Bigfoot":1el5ycqy said:
It'd save me money to buy their secret.

Many try to make it up with volume, but that does not work well with a low gross margin.

What part of your operation has the highest gross margin (sales - direct out of pocket costs) per acre?

Stocker Steve":2tc8c3zt said:
Bigfoot":2tc8c3zt said:
It'd save me money to buy their secret.

Many try to make it up with volume, but that does not work well with a low gross margin.

What part of your operation has the highest gross margin (sales - direct out of pocket costs) per acre?
Backgrounding by far.

Bigfoot":2vy7icno said:
Many try to make it up with volume, but that does not work well with a low gross margin. What part of your operation has the highest gross margin (sales - direct out of pocket costs) per acre?
Backgrounding by far.[/quote]

Same here.
So why don't we do more back grounding?

Stocker Steve":22qltns9 said:
Bigfoot":22qltns9 said:
Many try to make it up with volume, but that does not work well with a low gross margin. What part of your operation has the highest gross margin (sales - direct out of pocket costs) per acre?
Backgrounding by far.

Same here.
So why don't we do more back grounding?[/quote]

I don't want to tie that much cash up in something. I also don't want to settle that many. 45 is about the max I run at one time. Lotta work. Lotta worry. Have done 70. Way too much work for a one man show that works off the farm.

Latest posts