It's "herd" not "heard"

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":18bwuilp said:
Something that really irritates the snot out of me is a publication, i.e. newspaper, magazine, book that has typos/misspelled words/incorrect words, etc. Doesn;t anyone employ proof readers anymore?

X2, what happened to professionalism?

NC Liz 2":85isnmwe said:
Well as long as we are airing our dirty linen on a public forum for the world to see, here are two that get under my skin a little.
1. people who use " i " for " I ".
2. people who say " me and john " instead of " John and I ".

Liz

In South Dakota they say I and John.

I guess my answer would be why would you not try to do it right when doing it so badly makes a person look ignorant.
Strong sentence I have never wanted to right or be a righter so I know I don't put comas and periods where I should or know the write to or too and if this thing didn't do spell check id have small eyes instead of capitol eyes cant hurt my feelings im still just gonna post and be ignorant if I have something to say.

bse":1scfd8ii said:
I guess my answer would be why would you not try to do it right when doing it so badly makes a person look ignorant.
Strong sentence I have never wanted to right or be a righter so I know I don't put comas and periods where I should or know the write to or too and if this thing didn't do spell check id have small eyes instead of capitol eyes cant hurt my feelings im still just gonna post and be ignorant if I have something to say.

So you don't care, and you want everyone to know it, just in case someone else was insulted and now you have a new best friend who also does not care.

3waycross":2ikm0af6 said:
bse":2ikm0af6 said:

So you don't care, and you want everyone to know it, just in case someone else was insulted and now you have a new best friend who also does not care.

Good point.
When I finally realised what the point of that sentence was...
I speak baby talk deliberate so that wen I mak an onest mysteak none of you know it was a mistak.
And also so as not to intimidate the uneducated masses.
Which is most of us.

Alan":2ikm0af6 said:
dun":2ikm0af6 said:
Something that really irritates the snot out of me is a publication, i.e. newspaper, magazine, book that has typos/misspelled words/incorrect words, etc. Doesn't anyone employ proof readers anymore?

X2, what happened to professionalism?

x3. And add to that, incorrect facts. Or opinion presented as fact.

3waycross":is4uvae7 said:
herofan":is4uvae7 said:
It appears this thread is just full of fun, but it reminds me that regardless of what forum I have been on over the years, there is always someone who gets bent out of shape over the use of correct grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. I work in education, and it doesn't bother me at all.

I posted on another forum once, and a guy got bent out of shape because I didn't put a question mark at the end of a question. :???:

People post that kind of stuff trying to appear intelligent, but they are really appearing dumb because any intelligent person can decode most written passages using prior knowledge and context clues. If someone writes, "a pear of shoes," I know what they mean due to context clues. The guy who got excited about my lack of a question mark made himself look ignorant. A student in the 3rd grade could probably recognize a question based on the way it's written. So, perhaps it just irritates people. Well, it irritates me to see people wearing shorts in the winter, but I notice I just have to get over it. :lol2:

Here is a passage used to show how people can read passages, even though they may be written horribly:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Just curious but as a teacher just how many rules of grammer and punctuation are you comfortable with throwing out the window

Not comfortable throwing any out the window as a teacher to his students, but I am nobody's teacher on this or any other forum, and I would feel arrogant trying to correct someone's writing style unless I truly could not understand their post.

As I said, this always comes up on every forum I have ever visited, and it usually comes from someone pretending they can barely comprehend the message due to a petty mistake; someone is always attempting to appear really smart, but I've never been impressed. It usually comes off as rude.

greybeard":23ycr3am said:
I don't think people did that in those days. :D
what--have sex or take pictures?

Here you go TB. I had to get one of these for my wife's car.
767gtotx2.jpg

Thanks GB. I'll have to look for one of those.

NC Liz 2":3s73e278 said:
Well as long as we are airing our dirty linen on a public forum for the world to see, here are two that get under my skin a little.

Liz
ROFLMAOOOOOOOO........ "John and I" is not correct". It should be "John and Me or me and John" as in "Would you like to go to the game with John and me"? Don't you remember the rule?? Bet you say "Him and I" too. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Not sure who my new best friend is, and im not insulted at all. The word ignorant is a strong word that's all I was trying to say. I really don't care what anyone thinks of me. If missing a comma or the wrong 2 in a sentence makes you ignorant then I am I guess. I do miss those sometimes.
Not mad or upset about anything just my opinion of it all.

TexasBred":n8ohf7pz said:
NC Liz 2":n8ohf7pz said:

Liz
ROFLMAOOOOOOOO........ "John and I" is not correct". It should be "John and Me or me and John" as in "Would you like to go to the game with John and me"? Don't you remember the rule?? Bet you say "Him and I" too. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Correct. Personally, I don't get so bent out of shape if someone writes incorrectly, "Bob and me walked to the barn," as much as I do when someone incorrectly writes, "He walked to the barn with Bob and I," and will argue until dawn trying to prove they are correct. In that case, it should be "Bob and me" because me is used as an object. I recall someone arguing that it is always " Bob and I" on another forum. Again, someone trying to look smart.

It is easy to remember the rules if you simplify your sentence. "I went to the store" not "me went to the store". "John came with me" not "John came with I". Adding John to the sentence doesn't change the rules.

I think we should put some of these conflicts up as a poll and see if we can come up with a board IQ and use that as our community standard to determine what is acceptable and what is not.
But of course we will have to handicap those who attended public school. :lol:

Liz

NC Liz 2":2elsof7z said:
I think we should put some of these conflicts up as a poll and see if we can come up with a board IQ and use that as our community standard to determine what is acceptable and what is not.
But of course we will have to handicap those who attended public school. :lol:

Liz
A lack of use of commas would put you pretty low on the IQ totem pole.

:lol2:

NC Liz 2":11163vg8 said:
OK,
I did half the work for you, now you go do the rest.
http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/
Now go over there and ask a teacher which is correct.
Pose this question to them.

John and I went to the store.
Is this correct.
Liz

First, Second and Third Person Forms of Personal Pronouns
Pronouns naturally are of three persons:—
(1) First person, representing the person speaking.
(2) Second person, representing a person or thing spoken to.
(3) Third person, standing for a person or thing spoken of.
CASE: Subjective Objective Possessive
Singular Plural Singular Plural Singular Plural

First Person I we me us my our
mine ours

Second Person you you you you your your
your yours

Third Person he they him them his, her their
she her hers theirs
it it its

CKC1586":kyavxpsd said:
Oh my gosh!!! This may be the best thread I have read here!!! :nod: :lol2: What a great way to start the day. With a big laugh!!!!

I just want you to know, when I saw your overuse of exclamation marks at the end of your sentences, I got dizzy, passed out, and had to spend a few hours in the ER; however, I'm ok now. :lol2:

Latest posts