It's "herd" not "heard"

Help Support CattleToday:

Texasbred wrote
I'm not grouchy "dud". You just get mad when I disagree with you. You make it easy. :mrgreen:

What's a "dud" ?
Is that like when your pocket rocket won't launch ?

TexasBred":2c4qtf8u said:
cross_7":2c4qtf8u said:
Texasbred wrote
I'm not grouchy "dud". You just get mad when I disagree with you. You make it easy. :mrgreen:

What's a "dud" ?
Is that like when your pocket rocket won't launch ?
Just another misspelled word dud. :lol2:

Gotcha !
I haven't got it all figured out yet like you have, preciate the inlitment

TexasBred":27ux0fl7 said:
inyati13":27ux0fl7 said:
This has been helpful. I have been calling TexasBred, "TexasBread". I see the error, sorry TexasBread, I mean TexasBred. ;-)

TB, what is the story behind TexasBred. Does that mean you were conceived in Texas? Or is there a greater meaning? Oh well, I guess a Kentucky Hillbilly should keep his wonderings to himself. ;-)
Never got around to asking my folks where the actual conception took place. They had no pictures either. Not born in Texas either. Really doesn't mean anything to me. Just saw it somewhere else and borrowed it.

I don't think people did that in those days. :D

It appears this thread is just full of fun, but it reminds me that regardless of what forum I have been on over the years, there is always someone who gets bent out of shape over the use of correct grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. I work in education, and it doesn't bother me at all.

I posted on another forum once, and a guy got bent out of shape because I didn't put a question mark at the end of a question. :???:

People post that kind of stuff trying to appear intelligent, but they are really appearing dumb because any intelligent person can decode most written passages using prior knowledge and context clues. If someone writes, "a pear of shoes," I know what they mean due to context clues. The guy who got excited about my lack of a question mark made himself look ignorant. A student in the 3rd grade could probably recognize a question based on the way it's written. So, perhaps it just irritates people. Well, it irritates me to see people wearing shorts in the winter, but I notice I just have to get over it. :lol2:

Here is a passage used to show how people can read passages, even though they may be written horribly:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Herofan
DITTOs here! Well put!

When I read the first few posts I was taken back by the tone of this thread also.
The first thing that came to my mind was: "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" and " what gives you the right to criticize others" do you think you are perfect.
Do those people not know that many cattleman of advanced age never had the opportunity of a formal education.
Do those people not know that many cattlemen never had the need to express themselves in written form, until the advent of the internet and are now just learning.

As for me, all, regardless of their eduction, are welcome here and should not be criticized, condemned or bullied into leaving because of their imperfections.
If the shoe fits, where it!
Now, " can't we all just get along "?
History lesson. ( who said that? )
Liz

inyati13":caogwihq said:
TexasBred":caogwihq said:
inyati13":caogwihq said:
This has been helpful. I have been calling TexasBred, "TexasBread". I see the error, sorry TexasBread, I mean TexasBred. ;-)

TB, what is the story behind TexasBred. Does that mean you were conceived in Texas? Or is there a greater meaning? Oh well, I guess a Kentucky Hillbilly should keep his wonderings to himself. ;-)
Never got around to asking my folks where the actual conception took place. They had no pictures either. Not born in Texas either. Really doesn't mean anything to me. Just saw it somewhere else and borrowed it.

I don't think people did that in those days. :D
what--have sex or take pictures?

Here you go TB. I had to get one of these for my wife's car.
767gtotx2.jpg

NC Liz 2":1w3rhcai said:
Herofan
DITTOs here! Well put!

When I read the first few posts I was taken back by the tone of this thread also.
The first thing that came to my mind was: "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" and " what gives you the right to criticize others" do you think you are perfect.
Do those people not know that many cattleman of advanced age never had the opportunity of a formal education.
Do those people not know that many cattlemen never had the need to express themselves in written form, until the advent of the internet and are now just learning.

As for me, all, regardless of their eduction, are welcome here and should not be criticized, condemned or bullied into leaving because of their imperfections.
If the shoe fits, where it!
Now, " can't we all just get along "?
History lesson. ( who said that? )
Liz

True. It's not as though we are trying to pass a semester exam.

Oh, wasn't that statement said by Rodney King?

herofan":37rp0u4n said:
It appears this thread is just full of fun, but it reminds me that regardless of what forum I have been on over the years, there is always someone who gets bent out of shape over the use of correct grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. I work in education, and it doesn't bother me at all.

I posted on another forum once, and a guy got bent out of shape because I didn't put a question mark at the end of a question. :???:

People post that kind of stuff trying to appear intelligent, but they are really appearing dumb because any intelligent person can decode most written passages using prior knowledge and context clues. If someone writes, "a pear of shoes," I know what they mean due to context clues. The guy who got excited about my lack of a question mark made himself look ignorant. A student in the 3rd grade could probably recognize a question based on the way it's written. So, perhaps it just irritates people. Well, it irritates me to see people wearing shorts in the winter, but I notice I just have to get over it. :lol2:

Here is a passage used to show how people can read passages, even though they may be written horribly:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Just curious but as a teacher just how many rules of grammer and punctuation are you comfortable with throwing out the window

When I was 19 or 20, in my first real world job, I was asked to write a report on a one the job injury a co-worker had. After I wrote the report and turned it in I got called into the district managers office and got raked over the coals for spelling errors, grammar, misuse of words, etc. I felt about an inch tall coming out of the meeting, but decided I had better do something about it.

I agree 3way, it's too important to toss out the window. We all make mistakes here, between the typo's, auto check and the speed of putting our words down as we type. But it's "noise" while reading, meaning it distracts the reader and therefore loses the writers meaning or intent for the reader. Not picking on anyone, it just doesn't fly in the real world.

3waycross":378w6riz said:
herofan":378w6riz said:

Just curious but as a teacher just how many rules of grammar and punctuation are you comfortable with throwing out the window

Do you think usage standards should be the same in real life as they are in the classroom? Should we have daily tests and post the results?

mwj, to your first question, yes! As far as daily test .......

I'm in no way am I picking on herofan, but in her example posted there is a lot of "noise". How would anyone feel if that came from their business manager, lawyer, real estate agent, banker ....... Divorce lawyer. :shock: Just saying it's easy to learn, even at my age.

I guess my answer would be why would you not try to do it right when doing it so badly makes a person look ignorant.. I purposedly wrote that sentence without any punctustion and gramatically incorrect. Then tried to read it. Itook an effort to get the correct meaning and that is what we should try to avoid.

BTW Alan is right about one thing it is hard to post on here sometimes

Something that really irritates the snot out of me is a publication, i.e. newspaper, magazine, book that has typos/misspelled words/incorrect words, etc. Doesn;t anyone employ proof readers anymore?

Well as long as we are airing our dirty linen on a public forum for the world to see, here are two that get under my skin a little.
1. people who use " i " for " I ".
2. people who say " me and john " instead of " John and I ".

Liz