If you ever wonder if it's worth it

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
If you ever wonder if feeding $10 bags of cubes or raising your own heifers is worth it.

20160202_114349-1_zpsio3a4v2y.jpg

Got a call from some neighbors saying 2 cows were out on the road. I told them I had just moved some new cows in and there was a good chance it was them.

Went to where they saw them last on the road and didn't see them. Went back to the property and counted cattle. Sure enough two missing. Went back down the county road a little further and found some poop in the road so I kept going. Finally got to an open field and I could see 2 black cows. I hollered and here they came. Guy had ran them in his pasture. I got out and opened the gate to put them back on the road.

Long story short... they followed me back 2.5 miles down the county road and back on the property with a half bag of cubes. It was worth every penny IMO.

Yep, sure makes life easier!

The indian horses around here keep the place grazed so short my cows, when the very rarely do break out, get excited and run down the road, kicking their heels in the air, and after about 5 minutes come running back after realizing it was a barren desert beyond my fenceline...
Cubes/grain buckets have been very handy to get them out of nice lush alfalfa fields they weren't supposed to be in though

Only kind that is worth it Brute is those that will come to a cube IMO.
Don't pull a white bucket out of my mule or you will get almost run over.
Love the picture I keep forgetting this new fangled phone I have in my pocket has a camera.

Caustic Burno":2qhv29g6 said:
Only kind that is worth it Brute is those that will come to a cube IMO.
Don't pull a white bucket out of my mule or you will get almost run over.
Love the picture I keep forgetting this new fangled phone I have in my pocket has a camera.

The sound of my truck and a white bucket is my cheater.

My old Hereford bull got into the neighbor's place a few years ago. He got all excited and was talking about penning his cows and I could bring a trailer to get my bull back. I told him he didn't need to go to all that trouble. The next afternoon after work I drove into my pasture, parked by the gate going into his place, grabbed a plastic bucket with a few cubes, and started walking. When I got to the top of the hill I could see my bull with the neighbor cows. I hollered a time or two until he looked up at me. I rattled the bucket and he headed my way. I led him back home with the neighbor sitting on his 4-wheeler watching. The next time I saw him he kept saying "I couldn't believe that. That bull followed you like he was a dog!"

Rafter S":1an1hlls said:
My old Hereford bull got into the neighbor's place a few years ago. He got all excited and was talking about penning his cows and I could bring a trailer to get my bull back. I told him he didn't need to go to all that trouble. The next afternoon after work I drove into my pasture, parked by the gate going into his place, grabbed a plastic bucket with a few cubes, and started walking. When I got to the top of the hill I could see my bull with the neighbor cows. I hollered a time or two until he looked up at me. I rattled the bucket and he headed my way. I led him back home with the neighbor sitting on his 4-wheeler watching. The next time I saw him he kept saying "I couldn't believe that. That bull followed you like he was a dog!"

Ya.. the guys had the same look when I opened the gate and turned the cows back on the road. :D

Like some one else said, it's a good feeling to know you can do that.

It's a good neighbor you got there that penned them up. Cows out is no fun but one could have been hit. Really glad it all worked out for you.

Yes sir. Those are all good people in that area. They were all calling each other to see who's they were. I had 3 voicemails saying they thought my cattle were out and the last one said the man who had penned them.

We all do deer counts and stuff together. Good people make life a lot easier.

We had bad neighbors here for years.. but we outlived them all.. lost a calf to one of those 2 legged predators.. now everything is much better.. still a little tension once in a while with wild horses breaking in.. they belong to the indians, but no one will claim them if they have to lift a finger to get them out.. shoot it and suddenly everyone owns the darned nag.

Latest posts