So it's still not spring

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
This is getting old fast. I guess we had a false spring Mar 5-12 or so, been awful since.

Out with the cows every hour on the hour when it's like this. Thankfully today is the last day of our first cycle and we are 2/3 through so things should slow down a bit.

ALACOWMAN":3hqfswsi said:
This past winter/spring has been false...I'm ready for a steady plane of warm weather...
Same here , just need some warm days for the grass to grow . Loaded stock trailer full of small squares, out of rounds . It will come, always does .

Weather like this is why I don't calve in April anymore. By far the most unpredictable month. Snow is 2/3rd's gone and it feels like late January today.

Aaron":2swklolh said:
Weather like this is why I don't calve in April anymore. By far the most unpredictable month. Snow is 2/3rd's gone and it feels like late January today.

Ya
but
I am calving my heifers 3 weeks ahead of the cows...

Mowed the yard on Saturday then shoveled the driveway on Sunday.
Grandpa always said you need to be able to feed hay until April 1st.

Stocker Steve":3v2hf7w0 said:
Aaron":3v2hf7w0 said:

Ya
but
I am calving my heifers 3 weeks ahead of the cows...

I am surprised at how you still think that is a wise decision. :). Must be Sue that is doing the calving and you're still surfing the bull catalogs.

I have mine start calving in early April because usually it is still cold and froze UP here. Id rather have calves on frozen ground then the 1.5 months of standing water and mud that follow around here.

chevytaHOE5674":1x9wyyxy said:
I have mine start calving in early April because usually it is still cold and froze UP here. Id rather have calves on frozen ground then the 1.5 months of standing water and mud that follow around here.

I think it's a lot healthier environment to calve on frozen ground.

Colorado winter has been very low on moisture. I'd be happy with anything we get right now. Almost daily red flag warning for fires, already a few withing miles of me.

about 25F here this morning, freezing rain last night.. gorgeous day but chilly.. of course I had a calf born at 5am.. was nice all bloody week before this, why'd she have to carry him 4 days overdue??

Nesikep":1e4j2wec said:
about 25F here this morning, freezing rain last night.. gorgeous day but chilly.. of course I had a calf born at 5am.. was nice all bloody week before this, why'd she have to carry him 4 days overdue??

I'm sure they do it on purpose. Only had six calves all day yesterday, thankfully mostly during the day when it was warmish. Of course at 2:00 am this morning when it's -20 I found myself dragging 3 calves into the barn.

Silver":2vylcyna said:
Nesikep":2vylcyna said:

I'm sure they do it on purpose. Only had six calves all day yesterday, thankfully mostly during the day when it was warmish. Of course at 2:00 am this morning when it's -20 I found myself dragging 3 calves into the barn.
That is really cold!!

MRRherefords":2ljzpyxr said:
Silver":2ljzpyxr said:
Nesikep":2ljzpyxr said:

That is really cold!!
-20C I think... about -4F.. yeah, still too cold for my liking.

Silver, would you close the darned door?!?

Nesikep":3ag3g293 said:
MRRherefords":3ag3g293 said:
Silver":3ag3g293 said:
That is really cold!!
-20C I think... about -4F.. yeah, still too cold for my liking.

Silver, would you close the darned door?!?

Talk to the folks in Minnesota and New York, I'm blaming this squarely on them!

Latest posts