Is Prophet BLACK and white

Help Support CattleToday:

herefordkid

Reaction score
Its been said that black is the only color that sells and i am noticing that in my local market this seems to be the theme. Is this simply brilliant marketing on behalf of breed associations or can you back up your claims with stats.

Im not trying to turn this into any breed specific board but I AM trying to figure out why my Herefords arent selling or showing as well as there black counterparts.

herefordkid":1cffus9b said:
Im not trying to turn this into any breed specific board but I AM trying to figure out why my Herefords arent selling or showing as well as there black counterparts.

No offense, son, but we've been down this road before and it always turns pretty ugly. I hope you get some takers, but I'm staying out of it this time.

Get an angus bull and make some baldies, that will answer your question. :nod:

You may not be, but every black Angus breeder on here will bombard you with links etc. to the contrary. Do a search and you will find 50 million posts about why black is best..

You are opening a can of worms and a thread that will most likely be locked.

well i have a few baldies but i am really trying to preserve my grandads legacy so for now im revamping our breeding program i just took over.

I was thinking this was a thread about a holstein bull called prophet, but it appears to be asking about profit. :D

Even though I'm an Angus breeder I agree with the previous. this subject has been beaten like a rented mule.

You might consult with Doc Harris, he's really in to that prophet thing. :p

herefordkid":25vjskr0 said:

Simple marketing. The angus association has had very good promoters. But they can do everthing well. We as hereford breeders need to do everthing better. We cant have eye trouble, calving difficulty,prolapse, they cant fall apart in a drought, have to be able to survive on grass and hay and be able to gain if fed grain and not bloat and die.

We have to get rid of the misconception that if joe farmer breeds his angus cows to a herf bull he will have to hard pull 90% of the calves. We have to back up what we say our herfs can do. We lost market share and to gain it back wont be easy. Sell what we have not what were are not. Herfs just like angus can do everthing well. Put the two together and they will hold there own.

If I had to breed black cows and only black I wouldnt be raising cows. I cant stand the disposition of MOST of the blacks that I have been around.

Market, and promote and stand behind it.

Just remember your asking the same question that the Angus breeders were asking of the Hereford guys, 30 years ago. It all goes in cycles. :cowboy:

herefordkid":1t1ensc2 said:
Its been said that black is the only color that sells and i am noticing that in my local market this seems to be the theme. Is this simply brilliant marketing on behalf of breed associations or can you back up your claims with stats.

You'd have to specify which claims you're wanting backed up? And who's making them? With this post and your own observations, you're backing up claims that black cattle are more valuable to the market than non-blacks.

My experience is that all cattle sell whatever the color. The difference may be in the price.

Perhaps it's not such great marketing from the Angus Assn, but lack of marketing from other breed assns?

Latest posts