Interesting old documents

Help Support CattleToday:

Hey Nesi, my friend is at the Wendy Thompson hut . They skied in Monday is it near you?
Yeah, its halfway between lillooet and pemberton, I've never heard of that hut, but I've stayed at "Keith's hut" a few times which is on the south side of Hwy 99 instead of the north side

top left circle is the wendy thompson hut, lower left is Keiths hut, far right is our place
1646803755231.png

Yeah, its halfway between lillooet and pemberton, I've never heard of that hut, but I've stayed at "Keith's hut" a few times which is on the south side of Hwy 99 instead of the north side

top left circle is the wendy thompson hut, lower left is Keiths hut, far right is our place
View attachment 14153
Thanks, looks like she has good weather!

Our house was supposedly built (first part) in 1884. It had set empty and unlocked for a few years. Everything was missing INCLUDING the kitchen sink. Copper pulled out of the walls. Roof was good. We stripped plaster, found rough sawn (hewn) studs of different sizes and wood species. Added 2x2"s to make 6" walls for more insulation. String and shims to make square. Still drafty on the west side.

Anyway, according to the abstract, the homesteader was sued by his family trying to get the place from him. Said that he was crazy. He had chopped up his split rail fence for firewood. I assume that he was just cold. It wasn't clear if they got the place. There used to be 2 houses. I don't know where the other one was. There are 2 wells, and both give more water than you can use. Several things that make you go, hmmmmmm?

I have found several document where the place sold and loans taken out. I wish I could have bought it for those prices. Still haven't seen any mention of the house.

I have found several document where the place sold and loans taken out. I wish I could have bought it for those prices. Still haven't seen any mention of the house.
I love reading the old surveys here.
There was one that had a cast iron tea pot for a corner.
It's still there from the 1800's.
One of my fishing partners is a surveyor. Those old documents make some great reading.

Interesting documents for sure
Our place was first homesteaded by a chinaman in 1886, it's Lot 29 in our district, the previous property we looked at was Lot 27.. I think the guy died, it went back to the gov't, then in the early 1930's the McPhee's bought it, our house is the one they built out of 2nd hand material back then... the old tools we've found and such really tell you they were "dirt poor".. the house was 2x4 wall with no insulation, Foundation? what's that? it's a couple logs! we've since done a lot of renovations to it, new windows, 2x6 insulated walls, etc
One of the McPhee daughters and grandaughters stopped in years ago, they gave us a really nice tablecloth and a few old picturesView attachment 14100
We actually had one of these antique hay sickles-cutters (guess they we're dirt poor in Mannsville, New York too)...i use to use it as a boy to cut grass for our goat. It was heavy and always scared me. My father could sweep down nice and close to the land and layer the cuttings. Muscles and coordination. It always amazed me at what our forefather did years ago..survivors they were. Now-a-days young boys are chunky slow-moving gamers that wouldn't know how to walk in the woods, through deep brush.

Latest posts