Interesting facts in this little tick tock or whatever it is

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
FFA & 4H need to make a bigger push in some of the smaller schools...

Yep, they need to be having more of them field trips to the farm where me and a friend sneak off behind a barn, and uncover a covered up moonshine still
Or field trips with their Ag teacher where we castrate a pig...I went on one of those...me and buddy castrated his pig while the rest were afraid too get into the pen...lol...true story

Or field trips with their Ag teacher where we castrate a pig...I went on one of those...me and buddy castrated his pig while the rest were afraid too get into the pen...lol...true story
One of our FFA Ag class 'field trips' involved a big pen of weaned pigs that needed vaccinated and our job was to catch them, pick 'em up by their rear legs and hold them over the pipe fence for the vet to stick. We wuz dirty, wet, and had pig crap all over us and stunk just like a pig when we got back to school for end of last period ag class. A 'difficult' ride home on the crowded school bus that day... and momma made me hose off outside when I got home.

We did a lot of other field trip work, like barbed wire fence work, some calf castration (knife and burdizzo...remember, this was the 1960s) learned out on a farm about running a small PTO driven feedmill, used a freeze brander for the 1st time in my life, built/welded new pipe stalls at the livestock fair grounds and a bunch of other stuff I've forgotten.

It has nothing to do with education, it's the $$$. AG has become a wealthy man's game.

Programs like the FFA have had massive expansion in the inner cities but teaching about going out and starting a farm or ranch from scratch is not really applicable.

It has nothing to do with education, it's the $$$. AG has become a wealthy man's game.

Programs like the FFA have had massive expansion in the inner cities but teaching about going out and starting a farm or ranch from scratch is not really applicable.
True. Don't like it but momma says it be's that way sometimes.

Latest posts