Info. on cattle breeds best suited for S.E. Tennessee?

Help Support CattleToday:

BARNSCOOP

Reaction score
I am aware that certian breeds are heat tolerate and do very well in places like TX, Az. But has anyone done studies on cattle for southern Tennessee, western parts of North & South Carolina, and north Georgia? We have highly humid, hot summers with almost tropical plant diversity, mild winters compared to most states but It's been said that the cold here feels more cold than the temp. would yield because it has a wet factor.......a wet snow , not a dry powder. Just curious to know?

Don't know about studies, but I've met some people from Martin and Eastanollee GA who have Tarentaise. They say those cattle do well there...

For some resason, I think this is going to be a highly "debated" topic.

Clemson University did some research on a Bonsmara/Semental cross. I have a Bonsmara cow from that research. I am unaware of the results. There is a Bonsmara breeder in Athens, Georgia (Athens is in northern Georgia, I believe). He is crossing with red angus cows with Bonsmara bulls and having some really nice results.

There are a lot of very smart people on this board. I am sure they will have some more information for you.

im in northeast ala. the same market area, where angus/charolais are the top sellers...charolais handle the heat real well here. personally i like a brangus moma here..you can use a angus or char, bull on em and get a jam up calf, the brangus cow aint as stressed by the heat and can put added pounds on that calf, and does well in the market .

twistedxranch":3rvqvai5 said:
BARNSCOOP":3rvqvai5 said:
I am aware that certian breeds are heat tolerate and do very well in places like TX, Az. But has anyone done studies on cattle for southern Tennessee, western parts of North & South Carolina, and north Georgia? We have highly humid, hot summers with almost tropical plant diversity, mild winters compared to most states but It's been said that the cold here feels more cold than the temp. would yield because it has a wet factor.......a wet snow , not a dry powder. Just curious to know?

Seeing as how I can tell you what works best for SE tennessee since I live there is Brangus they do well in the heat and in the winter time. Also, the Gelbvieh seem to do real good also. The angus graze early in the morning and lay around in the shade the rest of the day. Avoid long haired breeds like highlands as they wont do well in this climate.
theres a feller thats got a highland bull in my hometown.lord knows where he got him from...but ive been observing him for a couple years thinking the heat would stroke him out...the rascal looks the same year round i cant see a difference in him..but he's with only one hereford cow now..like too see him coverin' more cows

alacattleman":12ikkd00 said:
im in northeast ala. the same market area, where angus/charolais are the top sellers...charolais handle the heat real well here. personally i like a brangus moma here..you can use a angus or char, bull on em and get a jam up calf, the brangus cow aint as stressed by the heat and can put added pounds on that calf, and does well in the market .
:nod:

I won't say smokes are the best, but I like 'em. Dark hide with lighter hair......stay cooler in the summer and seem to do pretty good in the winter. I would think a brangus bull over smoke cows would be a super combo.

I agree with Twisted. Anything but the real hairy breeds will do well in Tennessee. There may be a slight advantage to the American breeds (Santa Gertrudis, Beefmaster, Brangus, Braford, etc) but the British (Angus, Hereford, Red Angus, etc) and Continental (Charolais, Simmental, Gelbvieh, Limousin, etc) breeds won't suffer in that climate.

Limi's do really well in my neck of the wood's as do gelv's and herf's. Char's do well here also.

rattler

BARNSCOOP":16ruggb7 said:

If you could catch TMBP on here, he could probably help you. As I remember he spoke highly of the Saler breed.

fitz

Thanks guys! I have noticed that Angus are popular EVERYWHERE but here you do see them looking rough if they haven't enough shade. I have a steer that I purchased at a sale last year and he looks Brangus to me but I am not sure. Anyway he is the best looking animal on the lot. His coat is slick as a botton, looks like a well groomed horse. I would like to see that in all of the herd. What breed would put out black, as he is, and such a slick coat? He also has some drop to his ears and a very straight flat head.

Well, you pretty much said it. You want black with a slick coat. Brangus is that. They will still look for shade on sunny days, just like the Angus, just not as much.

BARNSCOOP":2nh3jgvd said:
Thanks guys! I have noticed that Angus are popular EVERYWHERE but here you do see them looking rough if they haven't enough shade. I have a steer that I purchased at a sale last year and he looks Brangus to me but I am not sure. Anyway he is the best looking animal on the lot. His coat is slick as a botton, looks like a well groomed horse. I would like to see that in all of the herd. What breed would put out black, as he is, and such a slick coat? He also has some drop to his ears and a very straight flat head.
youll get that, plus they put on a decent hair coat during the winter, their pretty much tailor made for my area....bigbull mentioned beefmaster, and i wont argue as long as you cover em with a bull that will pass a hide consistancy, cause you will be beat like a stepchild if they hit the ground wearing a clown suit

you can get black beefmasters.an cover them with a black beefmaster bull.right now i have a black beefmaster bull.plus a black beefmaster cow an her black beefmaster heifer.the cow is springing now.so im waiting to see if she throws another black heifer calf bred to a red beefmaster bull.

Latest posts