• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Info. on cattle breeds best suited for S.E. Tennessee?

BARNSCOOP

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
336
Reaction score
0
Location
Southeastern,TN. USA
I am aware that certian breeds are heat tolerate and do very well in places like TX, Az. But has anyone done studies on cattle for southern Tennessee, western parts of North & South Carolina, and north Georgia? We have highly humid, hot summers with almost tropical plant diversity, mild winters compared to most states but It's been said that the cold here feels more cold than the temp. would yield because it has a wet factor.......a wet snow , not a dry powder. Just curious to know?
 

showing71

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
688
Reaction score
0
Don't know about studies, but I've met some people from Martin and Eastanollee GA who have Tarentaise. They say those cattle do well there...
 

Bonsman

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 10, 2008
Messages
174
Reaction score
0
Location
Western Oklahoma
For some resason, I think this is going to be a highly "debated" topic.

Clemson University did some research on a Bonsmara/Semental cross. I have a Bonsmara cow from that research. I am unaware of the results. There is a Bonsmara breeder in Athens, Georgia (Athens is in northern Georgia, I believe). He is crossing with red angus cows with Bonsmara bulls and having some really nice results.

There are a lot of very smart people on this board. I am sure they will have some more information for you.
 

alacattleman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
4,141
Reaction score
0
Location
heart of dixie
im in northeast ala. the same market area, where angus/charolais are the top sellers...charolais handle the heat real well here. personally i like a brangus moma here..you can use a angus or char, bull on em and get a jam up calf, the brangus cow aint as stressed by the heat and can put added pounds on that calf, and does well in the market .
 

alacattleman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
4,141
Reaction score
0
Location
heart of dixie
twistedxranch":3rvqvai5 said:
BARNSCOOP":3rvqvai5 said:
I am aware that certian breeds are heat tolerate and do very well in places like TX, Az. But has anyone done studies on cattle for southern Tennessee, western parts of North & South Carolina, and north Georgia? We have highly humid, hot summers with almost tropical plant diversity, mild winters compared to most states but It's been said that the cold here feels more cold than the temp. would yield because it has a wet factor.......a wet snow , not a dry powder. Just curious to know?


Seeing as how I can tell you what works best for SE tennessee since I live there is Brangus they do well in the heat and in the winter time. Also, the Gelbvieh seem to do real good also. The angus graze early in the morning and lay around in the shade the rest of the day. Avoid long haired breeds like highlands as they wont do well in this climate.
theres a feller thats got a highland bull in my hometown.lord knows where he got him from...but ive been observing him for a couple years thinking the heat would stroke him out...the rascal looks the same year round i cant see a difference in him..but he's with only one hereford cow now..like too see him coverin' more cows
 

dyates

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
664
Reaction score
0
Location
Winchester, ky
alacattleman":12ikkd00 said:
im in northeast ala. the same market area, where angus/charolais are the top sellers...charolais handle the heat real well here. personally i like a brangus moma here..you can use a angus or char, bull on em and get a jam up calf, the brangus cow aint as stressed by the heat and can put added pounds on that calf, and does well in the market .
:nod:

I won't say smokes are the best, but I like 'em. Dark hide with lighter hair......stay cooler in the summer and seem to do pretty good in the winter. I would think a brangus bull over smoke cows would be a super combo.
 

Brandonm22

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
1,848
Reaction score
0
I agree with Twisted. Anything but the real hairy breeds will do well in Tennessee. There may be a slight advantage to the American breeds (Santa Gertrudis, Beefmaster, Brangus, Braford, etc) but the British (Angus, Hereford, Red Angus, etc) and Continental (Charolais, Simmental, Gelbvieh, Limousin, etc) breeds won't suffer in that climate.
 

rattler

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 18, 2006
Messages
913
Reaction score
0
Location
western N.C.
Limi's do really well in my neck of the wood's as do gelv's and herf's. Char's do well here also.

rattler
 

fitz

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
1,643
Reaction score
0
Location
S.W. Virginia
BARNSCOOP":16ruggb7 said:
I am aware that certian breeds are heat tolerate and do very well in places like TX, Az. But has anyone done studies on cattle for southern Tennessee, western parts of North & South Carolina, and north Georgia? We have highly humid, hot summers with almost tropical plant diversity, mild winters compared to most states but It's been said that the cold here feels more cold than the temp. would yield because it has a wet factor.......a wet snow , not a dry powder. Just curious to know?

If you could catch TMBP on here, he could probably help you. As I remember he spoke highly of the Saler breed.

fitz
 

BARNSCOOP

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
336
Reaction score
0
Location
Southeastern,TN. USA
Thanks guys! I have noticed that Angus are popular EVERYWHERE but here you do see them looking rough if they haven't enough shade. I have a steer that I purchased at a sale last year and he looks Brangus to me but I am not sure. Anyway he is the best looking animal on the lot. His coat is slick as a botton, looks like a well groomed horse. I would like to see that in all of the herd. What breed would put out black, as he is, and such a slick coat? He also has some drop to his ears and a very straight flat head.
 

brandonm_13

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 19, 2008
Messages
629
Reaction score
0
Location
Tennessee
Well, you pretty much said it. You want black with a slick coat. Brangus is that. They will still look for shade on sunny days, just like the Angus, just not as much.
 

alacattleman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
4,141
Reaction score
0
Location
heart of dixie
BARNSCOOP":2nh3jgvd said:
Thanks guys! I have noticed that Angus are popular EVERYWHERE but here you do see them looking rough if they haven't enough shade. I have a steer that I purchased at a sale last year and he looks Brangus to me but I am not sure. Anyway he is the best looking animal on the lot. His coat is slick as a botton, looks like a well groomed horse. I would like to see that in all of the herd. What breed would put out black, as he is, and such a slick coat? He also has some drop to his ears and a very straight flat head.
youll get that, plus they put on a decent hair coat during the winter, their pretty much tailor made for my area....bigbull mentioned beefmaster, and i wont argue as long as you cover em with a bull that will pass a hide consistancy, cause you will be beat like a stepchild if they hit the ground wearing a clown suit
 

bigbull338

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Messages
16,565
Reaction score
0
Location
texas
you can get black beefmasters.an cover them with a black beefmaster bull.right now i have a black beefmaster bull.plus a black beefmaster cow an her black beefmaster heifer.the cow is springing now.so im waiting to see if she throws another black heifer calf bred to a red beefmaster bull.
 

Latest posts

Top