In your opinion, what breed has the BEST temperment?

Help Support CattleToday:

poultryrancher

Reaction score
In your opinion, what breed has the mellowest temperment? The breed I've had an experience(and very little of it) with was a 3/4 Angus, 1/4 shorthorn steer. He was a little on the wild side, but that was probably from being ranch raised (never had a halter on until he was about 800 LBS) and someone screwed up while castrating him ( 50/50 chance he was still a bull). But I hear angus are typically real mellow? Just curious, in your personal opinion, which breed is more placid? Hereford or Angus?
Also, just wondering...Do Limo's typically have a wild attitude--is that pretty common for tht breed? We had two steer at the fair that had limo influence and they were both WILD. The kids counldn't control them (every time they went in the ring or came out the mom would yell "make way" or "look out!").

I think alot of it has to do with handling and upbringing..Granted, many breeds are labeled as being more mellow..I know Herfords sure have the label of being mellow. My husband showed Hereford/Simmi's in 4-h and he said they usually chose them due to their ability to gain well and their temperment. While others get a label of being hot..when I tell folks I have a Brangus, I get the eyeroll and the question..How wild is she? :) I usually retort with "heck, I dont have to worry about someone stealing her now do I?" *grin*

I wont say labels are false, but if I liked an animal enough, I wouldnt make a descion based solely on breed..Id make it on the individual animal.

I take the same approach with my dogs and horses too. Just a cattle greenhorn's opinion. :)

andybob":1q8zj7ue said:
Tuli the only breed I trusted my disabled son to take care of without supervision!

While JHambley visited me in March we visited the HBH Tuli herd (same owner as KRM Herefords, I'm sure you know who I'm talking about) The bulls was just completing a Phase D test and we helped weigh the Tulis and Herefords, the Tulis weren't wild or ill tempered, but certainly more "lively" than the herefords who was running with them under exactly the same conditions.

Beefmaster... but spinandslide is correct that a lot of the animals temperament has to do with how they're managed/handled.

DavisBeefmasters":4j3iotdk said:
Beefmaster... but spinandslide is correct that a lot of the animals temperament has to do with how they're managed/handled.
i agree to a certain extent ... that with careful handling, but it dont change their make up, or capability to get rank . same with nitroglycerin.. one false move and the whole batch explodes..with some pinned up working em i have tripped , and caused the whole bunch to go nuts.

I would agree Herefords are the gentlest cattle that I've had. I have raised Brahmans for a long time and I think their reputation for being wild is way overblown. They are smarter than English or Continental breeds and have to be handled in a different fashion, but they are easy to tame and become 1200 lb puppies when they get the proper attention. I once experimented with Limousine-Brahman crosses and ended up with the wildest calves I've ever seen. It didn't take long to give up on that experiment, I am now crossing Brahmans and Herefords.

nap":2h0x2ezt said:
I would agree Herefords are the gentlest cattle that I've had. I have raised Brahmans for a long time and I think their reputation for being wild is way overblown. They are smarter than English or Continental breeds and have to be handled in a different fashion, but they are easy to tame and become 1200 lb puppies when they get the proper attention. I once experimented with Limousine-Brahman crosses and ended up with the wildest calves I've ever seen. It didn't take long to give up on that experiment, I am now crossing Brahmans and Herefords.

Curious what their temperament are like? Some of the wildest cattle I've seen was F1 HerfXbrahman.

KNERSIE":3jpse3v6 said:
nap":3jpse3v6 said:

Curious what their temperament are like? Some of the wildest cattle I've seen was F1 HerfXbrahman.

My experience with the Limousine-Brahman crosses may not be typical, but I just couldn't get them to calm down. They wouldn't respond to a food bucket and they were pretty much unworkable on foot or horseback. I've had them go through gates over gates and fences and through high tensile electric fence carrying 7000 volts. I still have one running with the herd that I've been trying to catch all summer.

nap":3nlizp5t said:
KNERSIE":3nlizp5t said:
nap":3nlizp5t said:

My experience with the Limousine-Brahman crosses may not be typical, but I just couldn't get them to calm down. They wouldn't respond to a food bucket and they were pretty much unworkable on foot or horseback. I've had them go through gates over gates and fences and through high tensile electric fence carrying 7000 volts. I still have one running with the herd that I've been trying to catch all summer.

Sorry Knersie, I misinterpreted your question. In fact I don't have an answer since I don't have any F1s yet. I've been around Brafords but never owned any. I sure hope they are calmer than the the Limo-Brahman crosses.

Jovid":3tmmtj60 said:
KNERSIE":3tmmtj60 said:
ALACOWMAN":3tmmtj60 said:
hereford....

Yep, as simple as that.

Now wait a minute......I believe my Red Polls are right up there at the top with those herefords :D
you know you are right.. but the last herd of red polls i was around was 20+ years ago they use to be popular here

Jovid":1ehbb5e5 said:
KNERSIE":1ehbb5e5 said:
ALACOWMAN":1ehbb5e5 said:
Now wait a minute......I believe my Red Polls are right up there at the top with those herefords :D
you know you are right.. but the last herd of red polls i was around was 20+ years ago they use to be popular here

I just hauled five calves to the vet today. We tied them up for three days two weeks ago. I was able to lead all five and load them in the trailer by myself. Vet gave them all their shots in the horse examining area. They never moved. Gentle disposition means a whole lot to me. :D

I won't make any bones about the Limis there has been some bad ones. It is a matter of a few bloodlines. (sound like TMPB don't I) you got to no which ones to stay away from, cause theys some people still use some fools. But on the up side there has been some great improvements, mine are alittle to gentle some times.

Latest posts