ice

Help Support CattleToday:

r and s peckman

Reaction score
Have a layer of ice which started about 6pm and will continue to about 6pm Sunday night. Still have electricity. This is what I hate most about winter.

Wow, I have a friend that says she hates driving in fog more than anything else. I will take fog over ice anyday. Best of luck ~ it can cause all kinds of problems, as I'm sure you know.

Hasn't gotten here yet, but it's coming. All we have is freezing fog so far. Happy days are here again

dun":1dv3gpgt said:
Hasn't gotten here yet, but it's coming. All we have is freezing fog so far. Happy days are here again
Freezing fog, for all its danger, is beautiful. I love what it does to the trees.

angie2":1vh5pxf8 said:
dun":1vh5pxf8 said:
Freezing fog, for all its danger, is beautiful. I love what it does to the trees.

I hate what it does to the walking

Forget walking maybe ~ throw on a pair of skates! It would be a good time :nod:

dun":qgpgbgj8 said:

dun, the ice storm you had last winter where the trees had that icycles (no idea how to spell that, not a word often needed here) was that also the result of a freezing fog? I have never seen that before. What kind of temperatures is needed for an icestrom like you had last winter?

Heading out to see how bad it is. NOAA said that there is another storm that will hit us on Monday through Wednesday. Look out Dun

KNERSIE":f77rf8mp said:
dun":f77rf8mp said:

dun, the ice storm you had last winter where the trees had that icycles (no idea how to spell that, not a word often needed here) was that also the result of a freezing fog? I have never seen that before. What kind of temperatures is needed for an icestrom like you had last winter?

Around 30-31 degrees gets the fog freezing. Depending on how warm the rain is it will build ice at about the same temps. Once it gets into the twntys it doesn;t matter how warm the rain may be, it's gonna build up ice. Last year we didn;t have the fog first, just 20 degrees and a day of rain.
It's pretty slickery now and the freezing rain is just starting. It's cold enough now that the fog has pretty much cleared up. The line of storms that's been hammering things west of us has expanded and drifted this way. So the stuff that the others got last night we're just getting started with.

It is thundering and raining here about 38 degrees F. It has gotten very dry this fall glad to see the rain when it does get freezing the grass will not freeze out. The ponds and water tanks are getting very low.
We moved hay all day yesterday getting ready for bad WX. If it does not get bad may not have to feed very little hay this year. Had sold down because of drought 2006 don't have as many to feed as before.

The St. Louis stations are still calling for the worst stuff to fall to the north and west along the I-44 corridor again. We were originally only supposed to get up to a couple inches of rain, which would be a good thing. Every update I've seen since the evening news yesterday has pushed the ice farther south and east and increased the timeframe for each wave until it ends Wednesday. We'll see! We have enough beautiful pics from last year - don't need new ones!

fit2btied":usapl7xw said:
The St. Louis stations are still calling for the worst stuff to fall to the north and west along the I-44 corridor again. We were originally only supposed to get up to a couple inches of rain, which would be a good thing. Every update I've seen since the evening news yesterday has pushed the ice farther south and east and increased the timeframe for each wave until it ends Wednesday. We'll see! We have enough beautiful pics from last year - don't need new ones!

That's what they're doing here too. I'm inclined to just not listen anymore and wednesday we'll know what happened.
One problem is that the weather seems to be about as accurate as the internet map sites when it comes to determining where I-44 is.

Been icing up here since I got up with temps hovering around 30, 31 degrees. Roads and walks are bad, but don't plan on going anywhere. Fire truck on a call ran off the road about an hour ago. Heard it on the scanner. No one hurt.
Good news is no wind to speak of and supposed to warm up a bit later today.

Temps in the upper 80's yesterday. Last night, the hub and I sat on the front porch in shirt sleeves looking at the lights and drinking egg nog. Today it is rainy and in the low 40's. Texas weather... :oops:

it was 72 here at midnite.an its 42 here now.has dropped 30 degrees.looks like the temps will stay in the 40s the next few days.i hate walking on ice been there done that.

thats what my backyard looks like. we got sleet all nite last nite. and it snowed like 2 days ago. supposed to get some more ice tuesday i think

pics026.jpg

Isn't that purty?
We got lucky today. Warmed up to 33 so the rain we've had in the past couple of hours has helped melt some of the ice. Hopefully we won;t get the build up like lastyear or the folks west of us are getting this year.
Wife has threatened to put all the hay we have in the barn scattered around the pastures and move to AZ.

We never got above 28, South part of county is spotted with no power. The next county south, most of it is with out power, may take them several days to get it back on. Had poles that snapped off. Will get some tonight, then on Tuesday more, with another half inch to one inch. Have to carry buckets of warm water to get through gates, feed more hay because the bale that is out there has a layer of ice on it, and hydrants are froze. Just part of life. Thoses of you that are in the South, well enjoy.

Latest posts