Ice

Help Support CattleToday:

We got mostly snow thankfully!
Good heavy wet wet wet snow. The ground is not frozen. So yeah, it's a mucky mess.
But we got power!! Cows are crazy today. Dont seem to mind too much. 30mph north wind. Figured they would be in the barn. They were most of the night.
20210101_083253.jpg

It's about 29 and raining here. All the feed conveyors and feed wagon worked this morning, but I bet they don't tomorrow. Wind's picking up. Supposed to change over to snow around 4 and end around midnight.

Same old boring high around 40 and low about 20. Wednesday it managed to stay below freezing. We got about half an inch of snow. But the next day it went up to 40. The only snow left is on the north side of the hills or up higher.

The power stayed on. Ran the feed conveyors and feed wagon yesterday about the time the rain was changing to snow. So hopefully everything is thawed out this morning.

Light glaze of ice today. Supposed to be below freezing for at least 6 days. Stocked cows all up on hay. Went to the sale Saturday and bought a project cow. Gonna be a struggle keeping water buckets, well, water buckets.
Chopping ice is one of my least favorite things.

Stay warm everyone!

Growing up i hated chopping ice.
A tip to help. Take some heavy plastic gallon jugs, I use tea jugs, put a couple cups of white salt in them and fill them about 1/3 to 1/2 full of water. Keep is small enough amount of water that the jugs will float. Throw a few in the water tank. The jugs won't freeze because of the salt and unless it gets pretty cold a small area around the jug will not freeze either. The cows will push the jugs around to drink. Even if a jug breaks its only a small amount of salt inside them.

If that works (not saying it doesn't at the right temps) I'd be curious to know the scientific reason for it.
The reason is that salt don't freeze until it gets very low temperature. So a small area around the jug doesn't freeze bad either. I'm talking an 1/8 of an inch but the cows quickly learn to.move the jugs. Just like they move a ball in a ball tank.. Might not work where you are but down to lows of 10-20F it works well.

The reason is that salt don't freeze until it gets very low temperature. So a small area around the jug doesn't freeze bad either. I'm talking an 1/8 of an inch but the cows quickly learn to.move the jugs. Just like they move a ball in a ball tank.. Might not work where you are but down to lows of 10-20F it works well.
Yes, but just because it's not frozen does not mean that the fluid in the jug is not below the freezing point of unsalted water.

Latest posts